• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reasonable Price/Maintenance Fees for Starwood with 148,100 annual usage

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am starting to look for a mandatory resort and am trying to identify how the market looks at this time. Does anyone have suggestions for which of the mandatory resorts i should look at if I am trying for the best combination of price and maintenance fees for an annual usage?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Per your other post, I think you are looking for a II trader, and the most cost effective II trader won't have Staroptions. Most people consider the resorts with Staroptions to be too expensive to use as II traders. Buying a week to trade with Starwood, and buying a week to trade with II, involve different strategies.

Westin Kierland Villas has the best Staroption : maintenance fee ratio, but a 2 bdm. Plat week will cost $10,000+.

If you are looking for a II trader, look at Sheraton Desert Oasis.

Maintenance fees:

Sheraton Desert Oasis
EOY Lg. 1 Bdm. - $332.27
EOY 2 Bdm. L/O - $474.20
Sm. 1 Bdm. - $529.91
Lg. 1 Bdm. - $624.54
2 Bdm. L/O - $908.41

The 2 bdm. lock-off is two - 1-bdm. units that can be split for two trades.

You will want a Gold Plus week (floating 1-52) or a Plat week, but the Plat weeks are difficult to find and more expensive. I think you can find a Gold Plus 2 bdm for $1,000 or less, all in, but a Plat week will run around $4,000+.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
A 2 bdrm platinum Westin Kierland Villas (WKV) is the most economical in terms of Maintenance fees. However, I believe the going rate is $12,000-15,000 for such a unit. MFs are ~$1200 for a 2 bdrm (2011).

On the other hand, you can buy TWO Sheraton Vistana Villages (SVV) units in one of the two mandatory sections (Key West or Bella) to get to 148,100 SOs, for a much lower purchase price (no more than $1500 for a platinum 2 bdrm), but your annual MFs will be much higher because you'll have to pay for two. MFs are from $1100-1250 for a 2 bdrm (2011).

SVV Key West and Bella SO assignment
3 bdrm lockoff platinum 125,000-139,700
3 bdrm lockoff gold plus 104,100 - 118,000

2 bdrm lockoff platinum 95,700
2 bdrm lockoff gold plus 81,000

2 bdrm platinum 81,000
2 bdrm gold plus 67,100

1 bdrm premium platinum 51,700
1 bdrm premium gold plus 44,000

1 bdrm platinum 44,000
1 bdrm gold plus 37,000

Westin Kierland Villas

2 bdrm lockoff platinum plus 148,100
2 bdrm lockoff gold 56,300

1 bdrm premium platinum plus 81,000
1 bdrm gold 30,500

1 bdrm platinum plus 67,100
1 bdrm gold plus 37,000
1 bdrm gold 25,800

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per your other post, I think you are looking for a II trader, and the most cost effective II trader won't have Staroptions. Most people consider the resorts with Staroptions to be too expensive to use as II traders. Buying a week to trade with Starwood, and buying a week to trade with II, involve different strategies.

Westin Kierland Villas has the best Staroption : maintenance fee ratio, but a 2 bdm. Plat week will cost $10,000+.

If you are looking for a II trader, look at Sheraton Desert Oasis.

Maintenance fees:

Sheraton Desert Oasis
EOY Lg. 1 Bdm. - $332.27
EOY 2 Bdm. L/O - $474.20
Sm. 1 Bdm. - $529.91
Lg. 1 Bdm. - $624.54
2 Bdm. L/O - $908.41

The 2 bdm. lock-off is two - 1-bdm. units that can be split for two trades.

You will want a Gold Plus week (floating 1-52) or a Plat week, but the Plat weeks are difficult to find and more expensive. I think you can find a Gold Plus 2 bdm for $1,000 or less, all in, but a Plat week will run around $4,000+.

Hi Denise. I am wavering between an II trader vs. something I can use to reserve at the other resorts. We vacation almost exclusively in Hawaii so something that I could use to book at WKOR/RN or Westin Princeville to go with my Marriott weeks would be attractive. I am just trying to figure out how likely it is that I will be able to get into the Hawaii Starwood resorts through Interval, though Ryan's sighting this morning gives me some hope that I could find those units with an II trader. Do you know what I would have had to deposit to see the 2 bedrooms next year? Would I have been able to see them with the lockout portion of SDO?

Thanks

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 2 bdrm platinum Westin Kierland Villas (WKV) is the most economical in terms of Maintenance fees. However, I believe the going rate is $12,000-15,000 for such a unit. MFs are ~$1200 for a 2 bdrm (2011).

On the other hand, you can buy TWO Sheraton Vistana Villages (SVV) units in one of the two mandatory sections (Key West or Bella) to get to 148,100 SOs, for a much lower purchase price (no more than $1500 for a platinum 2 bdrm), but your annual MFs will be much higher because you'll have to pay for two. MFs are from $1100-1250 for a 2 bdrm (2011).

SVV Key West and Bella SO assignment
3 bdrm lockoff platinum 125,000-139,700
3 bdrm lockoff gold plus 104,100 - 118,000

2 bdrm lockoff platinum 95,700

2 bdrm platinum 81,000
2 bdrm gold plus 67,100

1 bdrm premium platinum 51,700

1 bdrm platinum 44,000
1 bdrm gold plus 37,000

Westin Kierland Villas

2 bdrm lockoff platinum plus 148,100
2 bdrm lockoff gold 56,300

1 bdrm premium platinum plus 81,000
1 bdrm gold 30,500

1 bdrm platinum plus 67,100
1 bdrm gold plus 37,000
1 bdrm gold 25,800

This is very helpful! Thank you.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Hi Denise. I am wavering between an II trader vs. something I can use to reserve at the other resorts. We vacation almost exclusively in Hawaii so something that I could use to book at WKOR/RN or Westin Princeville to go with my Marriott weeks would be attractive. I am just trying to figure out how likely it is that I will be able to get into the Hawaii Starwood resorts through Interval, though Ryan's sighting this morning gives me some hope that I could find those units with an II trader. Do you know what I would have had to deposit to see the 2 bedrooms next year? Would I have been able to see them with the lockout portion of SDO?

Thanks

I've been able to see a 2 bedroom at WPORV with a 1 bedroom SDO. In order to get a 2 bedroom with an ongoing request though, you would need to deposit the whole 2 bedroom SDO - you can only grab the 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom through an instant exchange.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Thanks

Scootr is correct - to request a 2 bdm., you must deposit a 2 bdm.

You can do an Instant Online Exchange for a 2 bdm. with a 1 bdm., but the online inventory is the LEFTOVERS - Ongoing Requests are filled FIRST - so placing an Ongoing Request with a 2 bdm. deposit is the best way to trade for a 2 bdm.

Owners have been trading into the Hawaii resorts through II as long as I have been on this forum - it isn't anything new. However, you need to be aware that the weeks that are deposited are usually off-season, so you won't usually get holiday weeks through II. If you can travel off-season and are flexible about when you go, it's a great deal.

See the II FAQ at the top of this forum for all the details.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Someone reported this thread as "sightings posted in the Starwood forum."

These are not sightings - the info. posted above is a list of the Staroptions for units that the OP may be interested in purchasing. It has nothing to do with II.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Someone reported this thread as "sightings posted in the Starwood forum."

These are not sightings - the info. posted above is a list of the Staroptions for units that the OP may be interested in purchasing. It has nothing to do with II.

I guess technically my post might be construed as posting a sighting - I'll edit it.