• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ready For Take Off

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea last week. They tell me it is not too bad I only stop breathing 14 times an hour. :eek: So today they sent me home with a CPAP machine. Because of my constant sinus problems, (thank you Luther Burbank for bringing so many beautiful high allergy plants to Sonoma County) they gave me a full mask. When I put it on I feel like I am getting ready for a Mock 5 take off! Oh, and of course my darling husband had a few romantically sarcastic things to say about that!! :annoyed: ;)

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, how did you sleep? I hear these things can take some getting used to. Hope it helps and you have more energy during the day and more rest at night.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So, how did you sleep? I hear these things can take some getting used to. Hope it helps and you have more energy during the day and more rest at night.

Yep, this is definitely going to take some getting use to. Only had it on for about 15 min. last night. Then the rest of the night was awful. I couldn't sleep with it on but then my mind start running about all the things I was told after I took it off. If I can get my sinus to clear up I can go for a smaller mask. I am really going to work on that. The other thing is that after using it for a little while after taking it off it gave me that anxious feeling like when I take my albuterol. Not only did it do it last night but also when I was trying it at the doctors office. I didn't mention it then because I thought it was just me but it happened again last night. I need to talk to him about that.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do the nettie Pots really work? I have been considering getting one, but keep getting cold feet.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea last week. They tell me it is not too bad I only stop breathing 14 times an hour. :eek: So today they sent me home with a CPAP machine. Because of my constant sinus problems, (thank you Luther Burbank for bringing so many beautiful high allergy plants to Sonoma County) they gave me a full mask. When I put it on I feel like I am getting ready for a Mock 5 take off! Oh, and of course my darling husband had a few romantically sarcastic things to say about that!! :annoyed: ;)

My kids always told me I sounded like Darth Vader with the darn thing on. :D

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, my husband has one too, I did the samething you DH did, and I told him I am now dating a space man :D . However, it did make a great difference in his whole life, he no longer falls to sleep while talking, and he no longer has dark circles under his eyes.

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Swift
My hubby uses the same device to breathe at night. We call it his snorkle! He could not use the full mask thing for many reasons. Instead he opted for the small little nose (into the nostrils) thing instead. Works like a charm for him. Your whole nose and mouth are clear of aparatus with just these little things in your nose that connect to the tubing. You may want to see if that would work better than the full mask thingy. It made an amazing different for him. He can keep it on all night with no problems and right away he started feeling normal again. Hope you manage to find something that works for you. Where he got his unit, they had many different type mask things to try.

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sleep Apnea Information

I no longer fall asleep unintentionally. I no longer flail about in my sleep, gasping for air.

Caroll no longer has to put up with my snoring.

My blood pressure is lower. I have more energy.

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with Mixed Apnea. (Look that up)
On the way home after work, I would fall asleep at the wheel. I knew I would kill someone.

My risk factors: being male, overweight, and over the age of forty.

When I travel, I place the machine in my playmate cooler for protection and take it as carry-on. I have the cooler to use at my destination.

I wear the over-the-nose mask. I wore a Velcro strap for awhile to keep my mouth shut. Although the apparatus took some getting used to, I wear it anytime I intend to sleep. Does it bother me? Yes, but not nearly as much as the alternatives.
My intent is to get rest and as much oxygen into my blood as possible while asleep.

Please do yourself and your mate a favor and get tested. Do others a favor by not crashing into us. Get proper of rest and stay awake when not in bed.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check to see what type of machine you were given. There are different types, and some are smaller than others. I was given one that is fairly small. It makes a small humming sound, which my husband said he can hardly hear.

When I first started using my mask I found it hard to sleep as I could hear each breath I took. But since I found I remain comfortably in one position all night, I put on my Ipod, pick soft music and drift away before the end of the second song.

My life is so much better now. I don't feel like I am going to fall asleep while driving, I don't nod off at work, and I can finally see the last 15 minutes of a TV show. My husband doesn't leave the bedroom to sleep on the couch, and he is not losing sleep watching me to see if I will stop breathing (which is why I was tested in the first place.) Better sleep gave me more energy and I lost weight.

In all honesty I don't always use it. For years I slept on my stomach, and everyone once in a while I really want a good pillow face smashing. But I notice that when I wake up the next morning my husband is AWOL and I don't feel as rested. All the more reason to use it.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please do yourself and your mate a favor and get tested. Do others a favor by not crashing into us. Get proper of rest and stay awake when not in bed.

I know this was intended kindly however, since I have mentioned on TUG several times that I am a commercial driver I want to make a statement of clarification. I DO NOT nor have I EVER felt the need to fall asleep while driving. I have not even fallen asleep while watching a TV show or while in the middle of a conversation. I would have never even thought of getting myself tested for sleep apnea except for the fact that I am getting ready for possible surgery in the summer and part of the work up was to be tested for sleep apnea so it was out of coincidence that it was found. The only other sign of sleep apnea that I have was the snoring. Which I have always just attributed to allergies and sinus problems. I am overweight so that does not help the apnea so my goal is to loose the weight since that is one of the know cures for it, besides the fact that I would feel a lot better about myself and healthier too.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think that the feeling like the one from Albuterol could be anxiety? I know I have claustrophobia and I hope I never did a mask like that, but my husband wears one and it has really helped him.
Liz

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
More on CPAP

About the surgery--check to see if you need to take your CPAP to the hospital. Husband didn't and suffered through a bad night--next surgery he brought his machine and slept much better. He has a machine which adds warm moisture to the air he breathes. He is faithful about using his CPAP--even took it to China--it does add to the carry-on problem. He also uses a chin strap. I call him Darth Vadar too! But the sound is like white noise, much better than wall rattling snoring. Another point, distilled water keeps crud from forming in the tank. If there is too much air pressure, hit the button to lower it--after you go to sleep, it will increase.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I figured out the anxious feeling was because I was hyperventilating. I have to get use to not thinking about breathing with the thing on. So far I have been able to wear it until about 2:00AM then it has to come off. For one thing it forces me to sleep on my back because the mask isn't comfortable to have on and sleep on side and diffenatly not stomach. But after about 2:00 my back muscles ache for a new postion and I wake up. Not sure I am getting a restful nights sleep with this thing on. Yes, they did tell me that I would need to take it with me to the hospital when I go for surgery. It is definatly modivating me to loose the weight cause I don't want this thing for ever.