• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

? re adding my mom to our deed- but children also on it

goofygirl17

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure where to post this.

My husband and I have a ts in CT near our home and have our 2 underage children on our deed. When we purchased it was recommended so that they could go to the pool/beach with a babysitter if they wanted. So now my mom wants to be able to use the pool and we are trying to add her to the deed She contacted an attorney and he said since the kids aren't 18 they can't sign so he wrote up a quit claim with my husband's name and then transferring it to his name and my mom's. This doesn't seem right considering the kids and i are also on the original deed.

Anyone know what we should do?

Thanks!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi. I'm not sure where to post this.

My husband and I have a ts in CT near our home and have our 2 underage children on our deed. When we purchased it was recommended so that they could go to the pool/beach with a babysitter if they wanted. So now my mom wants to be able to use the pool and we are trying to add her to the deed She contacted an attorney and he said since the kids aren't 18 they can't sign so he wrote up a quit claim with my husband's name and then transferring it to his name and my mom's. This doesn't seem right considering the kids and i are also on the original deed.

Anyone know what we should do?

Thanks!

We have deeds in a family trust with husband and I as primary trustees our 2 adult children are listed too, get the deed put in family trust and add Mum to the list. Silentg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's see ... timeshare sales person thought ADDING minors to the deed was so they could use the pool?

Mom now wants to use the pool ... so that is a good reason to add her to the deed? It would become part of Mom's assets .. for her estate, for medicaid, assets for nursing home admittance, etc.

Now a lawyer, wants YOUR mother and your husband on the deed .. so mom can use the pool? And you can't?

The reasons YOU all need to THINK about this ...

Mom dies and her estate gets involved with timeshare and probate ... most likely in a different state .. .and another estate probate would need to be done (and paid for).

You and kids would need a GUEST CERTIFICATE to checkin and use the place.

Kids on DEED? They are minors ... but the salesman's boss figures if you and husband file bankruptcy or died ... they would be on the deed & left with the bill.

I recommend YOU & husband seek competent financial, tax and estate advice ... not relying on a timeshare sale people, a internet BBS or being able to use the pool.

And all of these legal document changes will cost MONEY.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have deeds in a family trust with husband and I as primary trustees our 2 adult children are listed too, get the deed put in family trust and add Mum to the list. Silentg

I have updated my answer, call the resort and ask if your Mum can use the pool as your guest?

geekette

Reaction score
wow, that's a crapload of trouble to use a pool.

What does the resort tell you about day use requirements? Sales vs front desk may have very different outlooks on this. Not sure why that wasn't the first phone call vs attorney who decides on a quit claim!

Frankly, I'd buy mom a pass to the Y as it's cheaper and easier than shifting around real estate titling for the sole purpose of swimming.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You should inquire as to the maximum number of owners on a deed who are entitled to day use. If that number is four or less, there is no reason to proceed down this path at all.

Although imho, there is no good reason to proceed down this path anyway. You may have already subjected your kids to potential liability on this timeshare; why add your mom to the list? The monetary cost of doing the transfer + the liability potential outweighs any potential benefit.