• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about how RCI works, specifically when members talk about points and weeks and different inventories. For example, I read a lovely review of the Edinburgh Residence, but when I searched for it on RCI, I couldn't find it. Where do I look to see the full inventory and how would I ever go about making a reservation there?

Thanks for any help.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You're posting this in the HGVC forum...
So are you a HGVC member and trying to book RCI with HGVC points? Here's a primer...

HGVC members do not have personal RCI accounts. Exchanges are filtered thru HGVC's coporate account which is neither weeks nor points, but a special relationship to which you have piggy-back access. When you book a RCI unit, the requisite HGVC-points are deducted from your account.

You can gain access to RCI thru the HGVC members' website. The RCI reservation portal takes you to a special "club" page. From there, you can use a single engine that covers both Weeks and Points. If you want less than a week, select that parameter to exclude Weeks.

For resorts with no inventory, you can call the HGVC C/S center and talk to a rep at the RCI desk. You can request an on-going search. There is a slighty higher fee for a phone-call booking.

Just becuz a resort is affiliated w-RCI does not mean that availabilty is a given. It depends on the owners at that resort banking their units. At resorts where owners mostly use their own units, availability may be difficult. A HGVC once told me: "We've never seen any availability there."

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the RCI Weeks Directory here
http://www.rci.com/RCI/prelogin/rdMain.do
and you'll find
The Edinburgh Residence (#4264), Edinburgh, Scotland

I've never seen it available, but there's a possibility an ongoing search might get it.

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're posting this in the HGVC forum...
So are you a HGVC member and trying to book RCI with HGVC points? Here's a primer...

HGVC members do not have personal RCI accounts. Exchanges are filtered thru HGVC's coporate account which is neither weeks nor points, but a special relationship to which you have piggy-back access. When you book a RCI unit, the requisite HGVC-points are deducted from your account.

You can gain access to RCI thru the HGVC members' website. The RCI reservation portal takes you to a special "club" page. From there, you can use a single engine that covers both Weeks and Points. If you want less than a week, select that parameter to exclude Weeks.

For resorts with no inventory, you can call the HGVC C/S center and talk to a rep at the RCI desk. You can request an on-going search. There is a slighty higher fee for a phone-call booking.

Just becuz a resort is affiliated w-RCI does not mean that availabilty is a given. It depends on the owners at that resort banking their units. At resorts where owners mostly use their own units, availability may be difficult. A HGVC once told me: "We've never seen any availability there."
Thanks talent312, that's what I needed -a primer. I tried to ask questions on another section of TUG but was directed here.

Sorry, what is an on-going search?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Sorry, what is an on-going search?

An on-going search puts you on a wait-list in case space becomes available. You tell the CSR what your requirements are -- location, dates, size -- and if they get a hit, they contact you for confirmation.

The Members Guide says that on-going searches are limited to "weeks" (7N intervals). However, with the merging of weeks+nights searches, I don't see why that should be the case.

The distinction between weeks + nights, is that weekly searches can cover up to two years out and nightly-searches are limited to 10 months out. The booking fee for nightly bookings depends on the # of nights booked.

Last edited:

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
An on-going search puts you on a wait-list in case space becomes available. You tell the CSR what your requirements are -- location, dates, size -- and if they get a hit, they contact you for confirmation.

The Members Guide says that on-going searches are limited to "weeks" (7N intervals). However, with the merging of weeks+nights searches, I don't see why that should be the case.

The distinction between weeks + nights, is that weekly searches can cover up to two years out and nightly-searches are limited to 10 months out. The booking fee for nightly bookings depends on the # of nights booked.
Sorry, still trying to figure this RCI stuff out.

When I log onto my HGVC account and go to RCI affiliated resorts and onto the RCI site, I can either go to travel resources to look at the resort directory where there are for example, 2500 resorts in Europe or if I look under something like exchange reservations there are only about 400 resorts in Europe listed. Does this mean that there are only about 400 resorts with availability and the other 2000 are not available?

For an example, The Edinburgh Residence does not show up under exchange reservations, but does show up under travel resources... Resort directory, but I am not able to look at availability unless I signin as a weeks or points member.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, I just want to sort this out as there seems to be a lot of nice places.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When I log onto my HGVC account and go to RCI affiliated resorts and onto the RCI site, I can either go to travel resources to look at the resort directory where there are for example, 2500 resorts in Europe or if I look under something like exchange reservations there are only about 400 resorts in Europe listed. Does this mean that there are only about 400 resorts with availability and the other 2000 are not available?

Its up each resort to determine what inventory to make available to RCI and when. They may hold onto units until a deadline for booking internally. Often inventory is deposited in bulk on certain dates, and it may disappear quite quickly.

One RCI resort where I own holds a lottery each Spring for the following year, after which the unwanted-weeks are deposited in bulk.

Last edited:

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its up each resort to determine what inventory to make available to RCI and when. They may hold onto units until a deadling for booking internally. Often inventory is deposited in bulk on certain dates, and it may disappear quite quickly.

One RCI resort where I own holds a lottery each Spring for the following year, after which the unwanted-weeks are deposited in bulk.
So, do most HGVC owners only look on the exchange reservations section? Is it usually fruitless to look on the whole resort directory? Or I suppose occasionally one has terrific luck and can get into a place that can be difficult to reserve?

I may start a new thread on members' RCI strategies to see what folks say.

Thanks again

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since Hilton has unique RCI rules, this thread is the best place to ask. The rules for other systems are different, so they won't be able to help you.

In a nutshell - the resort list is just the resorts that are affiliated with RCI. It doesn't tell you what exchanges are actually AVAILABLE.

For an exchange to be available, the owner of that week had to deposit it with RCI. When you make an exchange - you are not just making a reservation in the traditional sense. Someone has to give RCI the week you want. That's why you need to put in an ongoing request. When you look at the online inventory - you are looking at the leftovers - after all ongoing requests have been filled.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Throwing darts at the resort directory will not pay off.

It does not pay to get invested in any resort or any time slot. Doing that only leads to frustration and disappointment. The broader your parameters, and flexible with your choices, the more likely you are to find something satisfactory, even if it wasn't your first (or third) choice.

When I went looking for 1-BR, Gold-Silver Crown, 4-Nights, Memorial Day weekend, SW Florida, I had to settle for a resort in Palm Beach.

Its kind'a like dating: If you only look at people who meets a certain set of particulars -- build, height, age, hair color, $$, job, model car -- the less likely it is that you'll find someone willing to give you the time of day.

Last edited:

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Throwing darts at the resort directory will not pay off.

It does not pay to get invested in any resort or any time slot. Doing that only leads to frustration and disappointment. The broader your parameters, and flexible with your choices, the more likely you are to find something satisfactory, even if it wasn't your first (or third) choice.

When I went looking for 1-BR, Gold-Silver Crown, 4-Nights, Memorial Day weekend, SW Florida, I had to settle for a resort in Palm Beach.

Its kind'a like dating: If you only look at people who meets a certain set of particulars -- build, height, age, hair color, $$, job, model car -- the less likely it is that you'll find someone willing to give you the time of day.
ok, thanks for helping to clear that up.

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since Hilton has unique RCI rules, this thread is the best place to ask. The rules for other systems are different, so they won't be able to help you.

In a nutshell - the resort list is just the resorts that are affiliated with RCI. It doesn't tell you what exchanges are actually AVAILABLE.

For an exchange to be available, the owner of that week had to deposit it with RCI. When you make an exchange - you are not just making a reservation in the traditional sense. Someone has to give RCI the week you want. That's why you need to put in an ongoing request. When you look at the online inventory - you are looking at the leftovers - after all ongoing requests have been filled.
Ok, thanks , Denise. I'm understanding it now.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
You may not be seeing all the available RCI resorts because of quality filters put in by HGVC to keep you from trading too far down the food chain and being unhappy.
Might be why there is a discrepancy in what you see available and a regular RCI account. :)

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, are all of you saying that the best way to get a RCI affiliated resort is to call RCI to see what is available in a certain area during a certain time period?

I suppose the earlier you can book, the better?

My other question to anyone is : what are RCI resorts like? Are they very nice, can you look at photos of them before you book, well, like places not listed in the inventory? Has anyone had a bad experience at a RCI resort.

Thanks

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So, are all of you saying that the best way to get a RCI affiliated resort is to call RCI to see what is available in a certain area during a certain time period?

No - That is the same as searching online - the best way is to put in an ongoing request, as early as possible. You want your request in place, before the deposits come in. Then if the week you want is deposited, RCI will match your request to the deposit when it comes in. See posts #2 & #5 for specifics.

My other question to anyone is : what are RCI resorts like?

Like all exchange companies, there are beautiful resorts affiliated with RCI and real dogs affiliated with RCI, and everything in between. A good place to start your research is the TUG Resort Ratings and Reviews - http://tug2.com/tugmembers/Login.aspx

Are they very nice, can you look at photos of them before you book, well, like places not listed in the inventory? Has anyone had a bad experience at a RCI resort.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not listed in the inventory." If a timeshare is not affiliated with RCI, you will not be able to exchange into it.

RCI resorts are just resorts that are affiliated with RCI, which is an exchange company. RCI does not own the resorts or manage them. There are good resorts and bad resorts affiliated with RCI, just like any other exchange company, so of course people have had both good and bad experiences with exchanges - that's why you have to do your homework before you put in your request.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

I suppose the earlier you can book, the better?

My other question to anyone is : what are RCI resorts like? Are they very nice, can you look at photos of them before you book, well, like places not listed in the inventory? Has anyone had a bad experience at a RCI resort.

1. RCI is unlikely to talk to you. Unless you hold a separate RCI membership thru an independent resort, you'll be directed to the HGVC call center for information. HGVC is your contact.

2. Some resorts do not release inventory at the earliest booking opportunity. So look too early and you may actually see less than what may be listed later.

3. RCI resorts can vary widely in size, quality, amenities or activities. If its a Disney property, you'll get Disney quality and amenities, but if its a small, independent property, you can expect a quieter, mom+pop type operation. The RCI directory/search result often has a link to the resort's own website where you can look at its own photos and description.

Last edited:

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant call HGVC and talk to a RCI rep. 'one call does it all'!

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks Denise. I'm starting to see how it works. How far ahead would be best to submit an on-going search? -6 months, 12months ( for one week)

Thanks again

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, thanks Denise. I'm starting to see how it works. How far ahead would be best to submit an on-going search? -6 months, 12months ( for one week)

Thanks again
I am not a Hilton owner, but generally, as early as you can deposit your week.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am not a Hilton owner, but generally, as early as you can deposit your week.

With HGVC, you do not deposit anything up front...
You can search Weeks up for to two years out and Nights (points) up to 10 months out.

I've found that you are unlikely to find availability more than 18 months out, as owners still have dibs on using their own units.

The RCI desk will try to help guide you to a sucessful search.
When you confirm a booking, the HGVC points are deducted from your account.

Last edited:

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may not be seeing all the available RCI resorts because of quality filters put in by HGVC to keep you from trading too far down the food chain and being unhappy.
Might be why there is a discrepancy in what you see available and a regular RCI account. :)
so do you mean that HGVC owners see the higher end timeshares? though I'm sure they vary in quality as well.

blueskys

TUG Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, would anyone have any idea how many people have the ability to book/trade through RCI? RCI owners and HGVC owners for sure, but there must be others as well that trade with RCI? Any guesses as to how many people are vying for these timeshares throughout the year? Just curious, that's all.

I see that on the RCI exchange reservations that there are 1417 timeshares, while the resort directory lists 6468, but I think those numbers may change based on what's available, correct? Or perhaps the resort directory is the total amount (atleast the ones available to HGVC owners). I'm just curious as to what the ratio might be of owners able to exchange/book with RCI to the total number of RCI timeshares. If it's even possible to estimate.

It seems to me that some TUG members are good with numbers and perhaps someone has tried to calculate this.

thanks,