• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI woes or my resort woes?

TerryBear

Reaction score
Hi, Not sure where to turn at this point. So I thought I would ask you guys a few questions. We have only used RCI points to fly to our resort in Mexico. We love our resort and have never gone any where else. A few extra vacations.Well earlier this year RCI limited our point useage to 60,000 points a year, and we can no longer use points to fly. Is this a normal thing? Also I was told if it ever changed we would never be able to use more than 200, 000 points a year that RCI points had a cap on the points any body can use, is this true? . The resort is saying one thing and RCI is saying another. I know RCI points was bought by another group last year so not sure what to believe. Greatful for any info. TerryBear:bawl:

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of ownership do you have and where do you own? The only limit I have heard about is when using the points for deposit option.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, you were taling to a sales person at your resort???? I have used more than 200,000 points in a year on several occassions. Somebody is giving you a line of BS. Why would RCI want to limit how many points one can use since it would just cut back on their profits?? The only thing that limits you is the number of points that you have in your account.

TerryBear

Reaction score
HI, thanks for repling, Our time share is in Cancun Mexico, We bought 8 weeks(they told us we could rent part of the weeks that was a joke) use about 4 1/2 weeks a year a year, plus about 5 1/2 millions points limit 25 years. We could transfer as many points a year as needed. The resort is called Tempations, the Comp. is premier orginal resorts. From what I was told there is no money exchanged between the resort and RCI only space is exchanged. So that would mean RCI would only make money on booking fees and anual fees. I dont really, at this point know what to believe. A lot of people are talking about sueing the resort,( see cancuncare.com ,WATCH OUT PREIMIER MEMBERS) We where using about 240,000 points a year to fly down there. Any insites? Thanks Terry

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this item which seems to tell the same story. In fact, if you do a search on that site on 'temptations' you will find 7 people with the problem. Hard to say who pulled the plug on you. It's probably lawyer time unless you want to live with it the way it is.

TerryBear

Reaction score
Thanks, Right now I just want to find out the truth . Either RCI lying or the resort is lyinng. The resort is offering a new contract and giving us some free AI nights for points will, not know how many until we can go down there. Maybe some consumer group could help, any suggestions? Terry

TerryBear

Reaction score
Hi, Just had a call from somebody at RCI. They said they made the decision to cut off our points but the resort is in fault because there is a clause in their contract with RCI that says "subject to change" So the resort was telling the truth. And they are just as ________ as we are. Terry

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they tell you everyone will be limited to 200k points? I don't think that is true. I exceed that number with PFD this year. The VCs I spoke to were eager to help with with PFD.

TerryBear

Reaction score
Hi, yea thats what RCI told the resort. I dont know what PFD is or VCs is. New to ths forum and after reading a few post I realize I know nothing about how RCI works except going to my home resort. Terry

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, yea thats what RCI told the resort. I dont know what PFD is or VCs is. New to ths forum and after reading a few post I realize I know nothing about how RCI works except going to my home resort. Terry

PFD=Points for Deposit, when you deposit a non-points week and RCI gives you points for it.

VC=Vacation Counselors, the people that answer the phone at RCI

TerryBear

Reaction score
Thanks for filling me in. The RCI rep that called yesterday said we where limited to 60,000 points a year for flying, car rental, and hotel stays, not sure what she meant by hotel stays. I have tons of points so it would be useless to trade in weeks for points. When I ask her about paying for 3 years in advance for RCI yearly fees and I would have dumped RCI if I had know they where going to do this, she told me they would refund my money and I could just keep all my points at the resort. Also they can do this to any of you at any time. Terry

rmatarrese

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok I am not a points member but here is my guess based on years of post readings. Points are like poker chips and do have cash value. When RCI give out plane, hotel, rental car for points they have to pay for it. The use the points you gave them and parley them into obtaining weeks from your home resort to rent out. If the resort is not playing ball with RCI, they must limit thier damages. For example if the resort is not allowing RCI to take prime weeks or charging RCI excessive booking or guest fees, etc. Than RCI may find that they need to limit thier exposure to loss. Or if the resort is just not commanding rental prices that balance with the what RCI is having to pay for the points (in terms of tickets or bookings given out), than it is a loser for RCI. Most importantly, it sound like the resort is letting you front end load your benifits. If they are letting you take as many points as you want from your 25 year contract but then maybe limiting RCI on how many units they can exchange the points back in for each year, that could be a big problem. And that would make sense since they would want to satisfy thier owners unti requests before RCI. But then RCI is having to finance the airplane tickets, hotels etc for some future weeks at the resort I can understand how they would want thier money now, and would have thus to limit thier members accordingly.

Anyway just some hypothetical possiblities, if I am understanding the situation correctly.

TerryBear

Reaction score
Thanks rmatarrese, I dont think restricting RCI members to prime dates would be the problem. The rising cost of the AI fee may be. You can book the resort on line cheaper than a member can or RCI exchange. We bought if for the flying that was a good deal. Before all this started RCI people where treated like we where, now all they get is a better room, maybe. From what you have said, which I kinda had a hunch about this, that most people from my resort dont go any where else, only to the home resort, could that have had an influance on RCI's descision? And do you think anything can be done about this? Not far from you about 45 to 55 mins west of you, if traffic on Hwy 140 isnt bad.
Terry

TerryBear

Reaction score
Hi. heard yesterday RCI is offering a waiver, of 160,000 points to fly in one year, if certian people will sign a non liability letter. Sounds fishy. Terry