• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI: What could YOU do with 25TPU?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found out that my daughter and her mother are not going to be able to join me on my 4th of july trip this year, so the other side of my lockoff wasn't going to be used...

Deposited it into RCI and got 25 TPU....Since this is my first "official" rci deposit, i have no experience with this beyond looky luing...

So i'm wonder, you experienced RCI people...What could/have you, been able to do with only 25 TPU?

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get some pretty nice places for 25 pts. I just booked a Maui ocean front for next November and it was around 25 pts.

Generally you can get one pretty nice week somewhere or even 2 weeks if you go to some of the overbuilt places. Las Vegas and Orlando come to mind. Some really nice spots at both of those are pretty easy to snag for 10-15 pts each.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
You can get some pretty nice places for 25 pts. I just booked a Maui ocean front for next November and it was around 25 pts.

Generally you can get one pretty nice week somewhere or even 2 weeks if you go to some of the overbuilt places. Las Vegas and Orlando come to mind. Some really nice spots at both of those are pretty easy to snag for 10-15 pts each.

Do you mind telling us what ocean front Maui TS you exchanged into?

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mind telling us what ocean front Maui TS you exchanged into?

Kahana Beach Resort, 1 bdrm, 11/4/12 for 28 pts.

It's nothing fancy but all 1 bdrms are corner ocean front units. Each has ocean front balconies off both the bedroom and living room, which has wraparound views since it's on the corner. Not too many places I know of that you can exchange into and be guaranteed ocean front. I've never been there but am pretty excited about it.

The week before we'll be at the Wyndham Kona Hawaii on the Big Island.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's good info for future reference

Kahana Beach Resort, 1 bdrm, 11/4/12 for 28 pts.

It's nothing fancy but all 1 bdrms are corner ocean front units. Each has ocean front balconies off both the bedroom and living room, which has wraparound views since it's on the corner. Not too many places that I know of where you can exchange into and be guaranteed ocean front. I've never been there but am pretty excited about it.

I don't necessarily need fancy. Knowing that I can exchange for a 1BR and have an oceanfront unit, corner no less, with a wraparound balcony; well that changes everything now.

This resort will now be one of my considerations.

Have fun in Maui. :D I've never been either, but hope to in 2013.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I don't think the balony is wraparound. The views are wraparound since the balcony and living room with breakfast table are on the corner. The room has a side window right there at the corner, so the views are wraparound. Not a big difference, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

I also thnk the kitchen, while further into the building, faces the ocean so you can see out even while working in the kitchen.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had lots of great echanges for under 25 tpus.
Since tpus started, first exchange 5 tpus, a resort right on Lake Superior, best decorated and luxurious unit we have stayed in. indoor pool, hottub, two fireplaces in unit, lots to see and daily maid service.
7 tpus for an excellent two bedroom in Berkshires in Sept.
19 tpus for a one bedroom on Cape Cod over Labor Day weekend, inland not on the water.
11 tpus last minute for a one bedroom in Newport right on the water.
8 tpus a few weeks out for a two bedroom in naples right on the gulf.
50 tpus equaled 5 really nice vacations and of course 5 trading fees and i will need to combine all my leftovers.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
HGVC Seaworld-Orlando for Spring break 22 TPUs.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is always some last minute stuff in the 5 tpu range...you could probably stretch this to 5 weeks if you tried..The Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey Beaches in the winter would make for a nice getaway

loris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Combined deposits

We combined 2 deposits for a $99 fee -- 34 and 20. Our 54 points got us a 1 BR at Myrtle Beach at the end of June for 23 points, a 2 BR just a block off the Las Vegas strip for upcoming college spring break week in mid-march for 15 points, and a week in a 1 BR in New Orleans a block off the French Quarter (last week -- Dec 16 - 23) for 16. We used all of our points -- but our 2 weeks became 3.

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the fact that this system works well for some people, but it seems like it is difficult to make it valuable and the future is very uncertain considering RCI makes changes almost daily.

As in the case with Loris, a total of $199X3, $99 combo fee and $89 Membership fee was used to get an extra week. That's $785. Any of these weeks could have been obtained through rentals for less with the possible exception of the MB week depending on the resort.

This is why I am removing most if not all of my exchange weeks from my portfolio and buying where I want to use or could rent for a profit.

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I quite like the TPU System

This is a very interesting thread...

I have benefited from the TPU system by scooping up a HGVC Orlando Seaworld 2BR/2BA for 15 TPUs, gifted ski weeks, and a Cabo week for a handful of TPUs. If you keep your MF$/TPU at a reasonably low amount (~$15 or less), it's awesome!

Further building on Ron's suggestion, head on down further south to NC and SC for 5-6 TPUs per week. Add in some Last Calls and voila!... you are now a snowbird at affordable prices.

Of course, RCI is looking in very keenly and conditions will change as the economy and other market forces changes.

That is why your holdings should be something you will use if ever you need to exit the RCI option.

Safe travels...

loris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confession

We booked all 3 trips -- June, December, and March 2012 -- last March 2011. I will confess that we had a little bit of flexibility (had a travel window of a month) and were also able to wait for the right place to become available. We looked at New Orleans for a couple of weeks -- one of our priorities was "free parking" and when it became available, we scooped it up. $16 and up per night was a big deal -- a real problem with urban resorts if you have a rental car.

Las Vegas has a lot of availability, making it easier to get what you want, and Myrtle Beach amounted to being in the right place at the right time and dumb luck. I can't believe we got that week -- still.

I will also confess to spending $1200+ to buy a week in DC this coming summer -- I know that I won't be able to trade what I have for the Wyndham there in Alexandria to sleep the whole family. I also bought a week at Jolly Harbor Resort in Antigua last year on VRBO because Caribbean trades are not within my trading point budget, either.:bawl:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I also bought a week at Jolly Harbor Resort in Antigua last year on VRBO because Caribbean trades are not within my trading point budget, either.:bawl:

Don't feel bad, if you hang around here for any length of time you'll be owning a few more TS's and will right up to speed with the rest of us. ;)

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the fact that this system works well for some people, but it seems like it is difficult to make it valuable and the future is very uncertain considering RCI makes changes almost daily.

As in the case with Loris, a total of $199X3, $99 combo fee and $89 Membership fee was used to get an extra week. That's $785. Any of these weeks could have been obtained through rentals for less with the possible exception of the MB week depending on the resort.

This is why I am removing most if not all of my exchange weeks from my portfolio and buying where I want to use or could rent for a profit.

I am not sure I understand your math. Under the old system (one for one), loris would have still had to pay $199x2 and the $89 membership fee. So the additional week was $199 plus the $99 combine fee. That comes to $398 for an extra holiday not $785.

We have used the new system extensively to get additional vacations with TPUs left over from other exchanges. I look at those as $179 expenses.

Last edited:

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand your math. Under the old system (one for one), loris would have still had to pay $199x2 and the $89 membership fee. So the additional week was $199 plus the $99 combine fee. That comes to $398 for an extra holiday not $785.

We have used the new system extensively to get additional vacations with TPUs left over from other exchanges. I look at those as $179 expenses.

My math was based on my current system of using what I own versus using RCI. It is flawed based on an own to trade concept.

I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread because I didn't offer anything constructive to the OP. Again, I think it is awesome that it helps many people. I was just trying to point out that for me to benefit from the new TPU system, I would have to seriously overhaul of my portfolio and hope RCI doesn't change the rules again. Instead, I have decided to overhaul to rentable units that don't need to be exchanged if I can't use them.

loris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Old vs New System

Under the old system, my Las Vegas Christmas week would have traded down to Myrtle Beach. My Berkshires shoulder season is a 2 BR lock out and can be traded as a 2 BR or twice as a 1 BR. Neither of these weeks would have traded for either New Orleans or Las Vegas on its own, and they would have had to be combined to get one or the other. With the points, we had enough to do all 3. It cost $99 to combine them and the extra exchange fee. Otherwise, we would have paid 2 exchange fees for 2 weeks. It cost $199 plus $99 = $298 for that extra week doing my math -- as the membership fee and the other two exchange fees are already paid.

We knew we could save money by doing the Vegas vacation at Christmas week by using our week, but we didn't want to be away from the grandchildren on Christmas day. So. we chose to deposit it and pay the exchange fee and go when we wanted. We traded our 34 points there for a similar sized unit with more amenities for half the points leaving leftover points to combine for other trades.

We also own 3 Interval units, chriskre, so I am getting up to par with the rest of you. We own a studio at the Kahana Beach Resort -- mentioned earlier by vckempson -- and 2 summer weeks in Wells, Maine that we use and don't trade. We heard rumors that KB is moving to RCI -- which would be sweet -- then I could ditch my II membership. KB has been good to us, though -- we've used it once and traded it twice -- once for a 3 BR at Disney World and once for a 2 BR in the Bahamas during President's week.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
We heard rumors that KB is moving to RCI -- which would be sweet -- then I could ditch my II membership. KB has been good to us, though -- we've used it once and traded it twice -- once for a 3 BR at Disney World and once for a 2 BR in the Bahamas during President's week.

We got the Kahana Beach Resort trade through RCI, so they must have already changed over. That or they now have dual affiliation. Either way, I would think you could switch it over to RCI at this point.

On Maui, it seems there were suddenly a dozen or so more resorts showing up with available trades. None of them had reviews which gave me the impression that they were new to the RCI system. KB was one of them.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
We also own 3 Interval units, chriskre, so I am getting up to par with the rest of you.

.................................-- we've used it once and traded it twice -- once for a 3 BR at Disney World and once for a 2 BR in the Bahamas during President's week.

That was an awesome trade to DVC for a grand villa. :clap:
I wonder if it would happen today in RCI. :ponder:

I think you're smart to use what you own most of the time. That used to totally be my model til I joined TUG and got infected with the exchange bug. I went from just 4 own to use TS's to 9 total since joining TUG. :eek:

Just got rid of one and have two more to give away this year that already have takers, but it's been a fun ride and I've learned so much hanging out here. I'm already eyeing replacements for the ones I'm giving away but I'm a much more educated TS consumer now so hopefully won't be making the same mistakes again. Maybe different mistakes but hopefully not. :shrug:

loris

TUG Member
Reaction score
KB Resort

vckempson, you should enjoy KB. You will definitely need a rental car -- but there is a lot to do in driving distance. Make sure you drive up to Haleakala and to Hana.

Our unit is a studio -- but it's just the two of us. There's a tiny kitchen and a Murphy bed -- a pull-out sofa -- but I can't imagine having 4 in there -- maybe children. I think the 1 BR unit will be great. The Lanai is fabulous. You overlook the islands of Lanai and Molokai. There can't be 30 feet of beach in front of the resort at low tide. You are that close to the water. Since we were last there, they have partnered with another resort -- Kahana Falls, maybe. So there should be more amenities.

I think that they have converted the points people -- but not the weeks people -- so far. I'm still waiting to hear more. We were going to sell it -- but now we are having second thoughts.

chriskre, we really don't use much of what we own -- we are more apt to trade. We do like Maine beaches in the summer and it's driving distance and maintenance fees are low -- so that was a no-brainer -- but everything else is for trading purposes. Right now, our 5 are the max that we could handle. Maybe after we are fully retired, we will re-assess.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

joe-holiday

TUG Member
Reaction score
MF$ /TPU $15 or less

This is a very interesting thread...

I have benefited from the TPU system by scooping up a HGVC Orlando Seaworld 2BR/2BA for 15 TPUs, gifted ski weeks, and a Cabo week for a handful of TPUs. If you keep your MF$/TPU at a reasonably low amount (~$15 or less), it's awesome!

Further building on Ron's suggestion, head on down further south to NC and SC for 5-6 TPUs per week. Add in some Last Calls and voila!... you are now a snowbird at affordable prices.

Of course, RCI is looking in very keenly and conditions will change as the economy and other market forces changes.

That is why your holdings should be something you will use if ever you need to exit the RCI option.

Safe travels...

I wish I could get less than 15
I am looking to buy a property in the bottem basement. It can fetch $16.5
WHere can I get MF$/TPU for less than $15 without a good size purchas price.
I like trading...
Joe

strandlover

TUG Member
Reaction score
With planning and patience...

I wish I could get less than 15
I am looking to buy a property in the bottem basement. It can fetch $16.5
WHere can I get MF$/TPU for less than $15 without a good size purchas price.
I like trading...
Joe

... it is possible.

Generally, 2 BR lock-out summer beach weeks will easily get you at least 25 TPUs per side. Use the deposit calculator in RCI for any summer beach weeks you may see listed in ebay. That would qualify with getting in from the "bargain basement".

I think the Plantation Resort (Surfside Beach, SC) MFs are around $700 so that's about $14/TPU. You see these listed from time to time on ebay. Just don't get crazy in a bidding war, another one will come around soon enough.

I guess the same logic would apply for winter weeks in the mountains.

nole9911

Reaction score
I just found out that my daughter and her mother are not going to be able to join me on my 4th of july trip this year, so the other side of my lockoff wasn't going to be used...

Deposited it into RCI and got 25 TPU....Since this is my first "official" rci deposit, i have no experience with this beyond looky luing...

So i'm wonder, you experienced RCI people...What could/have you, been able to do with only 25 TPU?

There are some great resorts that have extremely low trading power points. My home resort in Crossville, TN is a golf resort with 6 mountain view golf courses. The trading power required to go there ranges from 5 to 11.