• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Weeks - TPUs

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to understand how the RCI "Weeks" membership program works. I haven’t paid for the RCI Weeks membership fee yet and would like to know more before I do. I am trying to figure out much trading power I will receive for my timeshare week. I have a one week 2-bedroom lock off at Le Reve Hotel and Spa in Playa del Carmen Mexico. (Not all inclusive). We don’t need a 2-bedroom lock off and so will deposit a 1 bedroom and a studio. I understand that how far in advance you deposit the unit increases the TPUs. Is there a table anywhere that will tell me how may TPUs I will get for a 1 bedroom and a studio? It seems as though RCI doesn’t want to give this information out until after I become a member. Can anyone help?

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I just did a search for exchanging in, two similar resorts came up. I couldn't tell the difference. They were all studios, no kitchens. Perhaps the lockout part of your type unit? Some were rentals at over $1000 per week. Others were rentals of $200 or so, or 5-10 TPUs. Very confusing for me. Perhaps someone can be of more help. Maybe post on the Mexico forum here.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are 2 similar codes: DF58 Le Reve EP This one shows hotel units (sleeps 2) and studio units (sleeps 2).
the other is DF10 Le Reve Hotel and Spa This one shows only hotel units (sleeps 3)

The more important factor to getting higher tpu's is the week deposited. The studio ranges from a low of 10 (huricanne season) to a high of 22 (week 51 and 52) and the hotel 8/19. Most studio weeks are in 12-14 range. the Most hotel weeks are in the 12-13 range.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The more important factor to getting higher tpu's is the week deposited. The studio ranges from a low of 10 (huricanne season) to a high of 22 (week 51 and 52) and the hotel 8/19. Most studio weeks are in 12-14 range. the Most hotel weeks are in the 12-13 range.

There you go! Now you know what they're currently offering. Of course that can change year by year as trends shift.

As an idea of what you could trade into, I could get an off season Orlando or Vegas week for 7-10 TPU. I was able to get prime Sedona for 22. If you like the challenge and the hunt you can get prime other locations for 22, it's just going to take planning and patience. Plus work in the fees - fee to join RCI and fee to exchange, plus possibly fees to combine deposits.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
There you go! Now you know what they're currently offering. Of course that can change year by year as trends shift.

As an idea of what you could trade into, I could get an off season Orlando or Vegas week for 7-10 TPU. I was able to get prime Sedona for 22. If you like the challenge and the hunt you can get prime other locations for 22, it's just going to take planning and patience. Plus work in the fees - fee to join RCI and fee to exchange, plus possibly fees to combine deposits.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a bit confusing. The resort offers all-inclusive and non all-inclusive. I see from looking at the resort description that DF10 is all-inclusive and DF58 is not all-inclusive.

Thank you for the responses. Your responses are helpful and give me a better idea of what to expect. I’m still undecided about whether to join RCI. This is the only exchange company available for my resort. Right now RCI is offering us a 5-year membership for $297. It works out to about $60 per year. At the moment I only have 1 week to exchange for 2017, no weeks to exchange in 2018 and 2019, 3 weeks in 2020 and 4 weeks in 2021 and 2022. Since I would be only exchanging 1 week for 2017 it might be difficult to use up all the TPUs. I’m guessing that RCI would give us about 10 TPUs. I think I could get a least get a one-week exchange, but wouldn’t have enough for a second week. I would loose any left over TPUs since I have nothing to exchange until 2020. Would it be worth paying the membership to get the last minute vacations?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a bit confusing. The resort offers all-inclusive and non all-inclusive. I see from looking at the resort description that DF10 is all-inclusive and DF58 is not all-inclusive.

Thank you for the responses. Your responses are helpful and give me a better idea of what to expect. I’m still undecided about whether to join RCI. This is the only exchange company available for my resort. Right now RCI is offering us a 5-year membership for $297. It works out to about $60 per year. At the moment I only have 1 week to exchange for 2017, no weeks to exchange in 2018 and 2019, 3 weeks in 2020 and 4 weeks in 2021 and 2022. Since I would be only exchanging 1 week for 2017 it might be difficult to use up all the TPUs. I’m guessing that RCI would give us about 10 TPUs. I think I could get a least get a one-week exchange, but wouldn’t have enough for a second week. I would loose any left over TPUs since I have nothing to exchange until 2020. Would it be worth paying the membership to get the last minute vacations?

I would not join RCI if my the TPUs for the deposit of my home resort were only 10 TPU. Of course, it depends on where & when you want to travel, but when I see weeks as low as 10 TPU, they are generally also available as a Getaway (cash rental), which doesn't require the $239 trade fee.
Add your maintenance fee for your home resort to the $239 trade fee. Is the total less than what you it would cost to pay cash for a Getaway at the potential trade resort?

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not join RCI if my the TPUs for the deposit of my home resort were only 10 TPU. Of course, it depends on where & when you want to travel, but when I see weeks as low as 10 TPU, they are generally also available as a Getaway (cash rental), which doesn't require the $239 trade fee.
Add your maintenance fee for your home resort to the $239 trade fee. Is the total less than what you it would cost to pay cash for a Getaway at the potential trade resort?
Well I've decided to sign up for 1 year @ $69 and give it a try. For an exchange I'll be out $69 + $239, no maintenance fee. Hopefully I'll have enough TPUs to get an exchange we like. We can go off season so that should help. This will give us a chance to see if RCI is worth using.