• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Weak Attempt to Address Fraud

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Received in my e-mail today:
---------------------------------
Dear ....,

RCI has learned that entities with no affiliation with RCI are contacting timeshare owners and incorrectly stating or implying that they are a division of RCI or otherwise affiliated with RCI. These third party entities may offer to assist in the sale or rental of owners’ timeshare interests for an upfront fee or invite an owner to attend an informational meeting to discuss ‘updates’ to RCI exchange programs. Please exercise caution if you are contacted by anyone claiming to be related to RCI and call RCI directly at 1-877-968-7476 (RCI Points® Members) or 1-800-338-7777 (RCI® Weeks Members) with any questions.

We also have learned from RCI members that certain transfer companies are offering to transfer legal ownership of an owner’s timeshare in exchange for payment of upfront fees and execution of a power of attorney to complete the transfer. Owners receiving such offers may wish to consult with an attorney and/or their resort to confirm that a transfer of ownership and the corresponding maintenance fee obligation will occur as represented and any resulting sale or rental will be honored.

[Why not just say, "Don't Do It!" and contact the state attorney general's office?]

Similarly, if a marketer should ever offer an RCI member the option to ‘trade in’ her or his timeshare in exchange for monetary credit against a new purchase, the RCI member may wish to obtain comfort that the transfer of ownership (of the traded timeshare) and corresponding maintenance fee obligation will take place as promised, keeping in mind that the owner’s home club or resort may require its consent for certain ownership transfers.

["No sh*t, Sherlock."]

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's not RCI's responsibility to tell all members of their exchange club about upfront-fee scams.

They are trying to let members know that it's not RCI soliciting them. I don't think they should have said anything more than the first paragraph, but I am glad they addressed the problem, since I informed RCI years ago about this very thing.

Kudos to RCI for at least putting some further doubt into the minds of those who would be scammed. This may help some.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received in my e-mail today:
---------------------------------
Dear ....,

RCI has learned that entities with no affiliation with RCI are contacting timeshare owners and incorrectly stating or implying that they are a division of RCI or otherwise affiliated with RCI. These third party entities may offer to assist in the sale or rental of owners’ timeshare interests for an upfront fee or invite an owner to attend an informational meeting to discuss ‘updates’ to RCI exchange programs. Please exercise caution if you are contacted by anyone claiming to be related to RCI and call RCI directly at 1-877-968-7476 (RCI Points® Members) or 1-800-338-7777 (RCI® Weeks Members) with any questions.

We also have learned from RCI members that certain transfer companies are offering to transfer legal ownership of an owner’s timeshare in exchange for payment of upfront fees and execution of a power of attorney to complete the transfer. Owners receiving such offers may wish to consult with an attorney and/or their resort to confirm that a transfer of ownership and the corresponding maintenance fee obligation will occur as represented and any resulting sale or rental will be honored.

[Why not just say, "Don't Do It!" and contact the state attorney general's office?]

Similarly, if a marketer should ever offer an RCI member the option to ‘trade in’ her or his timeshare in exchange for monetary credit against a new purchase, the RCI member may wish to obtain comfort that the transfer of ownership (of the traded timeshare) and corresponding maintenance fee obligation will take place as promised, keeping in mind that the owner’s home club or resort may require its consent for certain ownership transfers.

["No sh*t, Sherlock."]

RCI probably went too far as it is. There is nothing wrong with contacting timeshare owners to offer to buy or sell their timeshares, and nothing wrong with charging an up front fee for services. Of course its wrong to say you are someone you are not, and wrong to charge for services you dont intend to provide.

RCI and their affiliated resorts need to do something different than than just warn their members/owners about the bad guys. They need to develop an alternative to the PCC model for folks that need to sell

rrlongwell

Reaction score
RCI probably went too far as it is ...

I do not know if this is the case or not. Before I saw this thread, I had posted the intact message on the Wynhdam board. However, the Censors struck and the thread was eliminated. Taken as a whole, I think it was a interesting warning.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
RCI and their affiliated resorts need to do something different than than just warn their members/owners about the bad guys. They need to develop an alternative to the PCC model for folks that need to sell

RCI is an exchange company. They provide a service to owners only. They have no stake in the resorts themselves. Why should RCI provide any alternative to the PCC or upfront-fee companies? That's nonsense.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
RCI is an exchange company. They provide a service to owners only. They have no stake in the resorts themselves. Why should RCI provide any alternative to the PCC or upfront-fee companies? That's nonsense.

The RCI E-Mail was signed by the President of RCI which is the noteworthy point that was not conveyed in the earlier posts. The following is a extract from how they are currently defining their business. I think this may answer your question on what the RCI interest is.

"NorthCourse Leisure Real Estate Solutions: The global consultancy and turnkey solutions arm of Group RCI. NorthCourse provides a full spectrum of business advisory and management services, from market research and feasibility studies to full turnkey project management of mixed use and shared ownership real estate developments as well as worldwide sales and marketing solutions.

Hotel Dynamics: A hospitality services company specializing in the design, evaluation, implementation and management of tailored local marketing programs for the hospitality industry. Today, Hotel Dynamics operates in Africa, Australia, Asia, Europe, Mexico, the Middle East and South America.

RCI has been at the forefront of the timeshare exchange industry for 30 years, maintaining the highest standards of quality and excellence as a growth partner to its resort affiliates. RCI is a subsidiary of Wyndham Worldwide Corporation (NYSE: WYN)."

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I do not know if this is the case or not. Before I saw this thread, I had posted the intact message on the Wynhdam board. However, the Censors struck and the thread was eliminated. Taken as a whole, I think it was a interesting warning.

It wasn't a matter of the censors striking but more that you posted in an inappropriate forum.

The issue is not limited to Wyndham owners, so posting in that forum was incorrect.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
It wasn't a matter of the censors striking but more that you posted in an inappropriate forum.

The issue is not limited to Wyndham owners, so posting in that forum was incorrect.

A good as reason as any. I noticed that when others make that mistake, in the opionion of the censors, they just move it to a new location with a note on the orignial thread on where it went. Thanks for the info though.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with contacting timeshare owners to offer to buy or sell their timeshares, and nothing wrong with charging an up front fee for services. Of course its wrong to say you are someone you are not, and wrong to charge for services you dont intend to provide.

This is a point(s) that needs emphasized - thanks Ron

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this thread already existed and had replies when yours was posted in the wydham forum.

had there been other info or replies on yours, i would have merged the two. in this case simply deleting it was the better solution.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I agree that, as a mere exchange service with no involvement in TS transactions,
RCI has no duty to warn folks about anything other than the misuse of their name.

That they choose to include a warning about the resale industry is nice, but...
Simply telling folks to find a comfort zone is too vague and ineffective.
RCI's comments simply muddy the waters.

Last edited:

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has been at the forefront of the timeshare exchange industry for 30 years, maintaining the highest standards of quality and excellence as a growth partner to its resort affiliates. RCI is a subsidiary of Wyndham Worldwide Corporation (NYSE: WYN)."

I did not know that. Interesting...

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shock and awe...

<snip>.....Kudos to RCI..... <snip> .

Now those are certainly three words you don't / won't very often see, hear or read expressed together.... :rolleyes:

The RCI advisory content referenced seems (...to me, anyhow) to just be vague and relatively unhelpful pablum language, lacking in any meaningful substance or content. On the other hand, there is surely no harm (and maybe some benefit) if it even manages to make someone think twice...

Last edited: