• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI-- we know they're greedy, but these make No sense!

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
In exchange for your timeshare, you can get:
3 day exchange trips. How does this make financial sense? After membership fee, exchange fee, and maintenance fee, it's over $1,000 for a 3 day trip. Rip OFF! On a simple check, the San Diego Club Wyndham Harbor Lights for example.... You can book July 4th weekend-- the most prime of the year for $195/night on stayforlong.com

Hotel Stays -- Are they EVER a better deal on RCI? I've seen regular Holiday Inn hotels offered. 2.5 Stars!

Cruise vacations? Are these ever good exchanges? Cruise Critic has always gotten me better deals than I could ever find through RCI.

RCI offers it... that must mean people are buying it-- the same people who bought their timeshares in order to save money on vacations.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 day exchange trips. How does this make financial sense? After membership fee, exchange fee, and maintenance fee, it's over $1,000 for a 3 day trip. Rip OFF! On a simple check, the San Diego Club Wyndham Harbor Lights for example.... You can book July 4th weekend-- the most prime of the year for $195/night on stayforlong.com

Hotel Stays -- Are they EVER a better deal on RCI? I've seen regular Holiday Inn hotels offered. 2.5 Stars!

Cruise vacations? Are these ever good exchanges? Cruise Critic has always gotten me better deals than I could ever find through RCI.

RCI offers it... that must mean people are buying it-- the same people who bought their timeshares in order to save money on vacations.
IMHO The whole industry makes no sense if you are going to shop price. I have a hard time with owning knowing for my travel needs a Wyndham VIP owner will rent to me for less then I pay in maintenance fees.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I look at it as a way to trade to a different location instead of using my timeshares. I don’t have to deposit with Rci, I could just stay at my place.
I have more issue with getting so-so trading power for a very good summer beach week with other lesser resorts getting more points. But as long as I can still get decent exchanges, Rci will continue to get my week.
All the other Rci things-travel, cruise, etc. are not worth it imho.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Those are examples of "sizzle" used to sell timeshares -- but have little to no value.

The "steak" is in exchanging weeks, last calls and sometimes extra vacations. That is where you can get value.

Because salespeople push this stuff, it leads to many disappointed owners when they discover the reality. Another slap in the face for someone who spent $20K on a $1 timeshare.

The key takeaway is to understand those are bad deals and use your points and fees on the good stuff.

Right now the lodging industry is in the toilet, so some of the "deals" RCI members are offered don't stack up well to resorts dumping inventory. This may change as travel returns.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My latest searches turn up only these three day stats. Please!

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are examples of "sizzle" used to sell timeshares -- but have little to no value.

The "steak" is in exchanging weeks, last calls and sometimes extra vacations. That is where you can get value.

Because salespeople push this stuff, it leads to many disappointed owners when they discover the reality. Another slap in the face for someone who spent $20K on a $1 timeshare.

The key takeaway is to understand those are bad deals and use your points and fees on the good stuff.

Right now the lodging industry is in the toilet, so some of the "deals" RCI members are offered don't stack up well to resorts dumping inventory. This may change as travel returns.

It's like walking through Walmart and seeing some sale items, and some items that are priced at 200% over the value of the item. It's disingenuous and forces customers to scrutinize every purchase. And not with a frugal eye... with a scammer's eye.

The reality is... RCI knows their customer base. They know that about 50% (guessing) of their owners are senior citizens. Studies show, as seniors age, they become more trusting and therefore vulnerable to fraud. They get on their computer, see a week and book it, the same way they see a piece of meat in the grocery store and throw it in their cart. They may not look at the price because they trust the merchant. RCI no longer deserves their trust... pricing is scandalous.