• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI units at the Inn at Otter Rock - floorplan /view questions

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 1 bedroom unit on hold. I am slightly confused about the floorplan configuration (and I will call the resort in a bit but I am also interested in real life experiences by travelers).

The unit info says 950 sq', sleeps 6, 4 privately. RCI mentions that there are only 14 units at the resort. My question is if this is a loft unit or a 1 story unit? Does anyone have any experience with these 1 bedroom units? Most of the TUG reviews seem to be for 2 bedroom units.

Also, any experience with the RCI units regarding views? A lot of the tripadvisor/RCI reviews warn against staying in the "RCI" units but a lot of the dissatisfied folks seem to have booked studio units (and the issues seem to be views and/or noise transmission) so I am not sure how those units compare to the 1 bedroom units.

Last question - any thoughts about a mid Oct stay (Oct 13-20) as far as weather goes? We are hikers so drizzle is fine, pouring rain changes things :)

Thanks in advance.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Otter Rock near Newport Oregon, yes?

I live in Eugene OR, about 100 miles inland, and we own a fractional at Whalepointe in Depoe Bay about 5 miles north of Newport - we go for a week every 3 months and love it in all seasons. In my experience, mid-September through October are frequently nice weather-wise. But it's quite unpredictable, and major storms can definitely happen.

Floor plans and views, I don't know.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Hey I’m in Eugene too! Otter Rock is in a lovely area and great hiking. October weather is a crapshoot but has been pretty nice much of the time (my folks live near there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Otter Rock/Inn at Otter Crest was our go-to spot on the Oregon coast until relatives bought a place there and we could stay at their place. We even spent our honeymoon there.

It has been quite some time since I stayed there, but it sounds like you are describing a loft unit.

Fall can be beautiful there, less wind, less crowds.
I would jump on this unit if available. The beach below the resort is an Oregon Marine preserve, there are great tide pools at low tide. We have even seen small octopus. And there are always seals on the rocks to the north. My kids would get so excited to see them when they were young. Bring shoes with good traction, the rocks can be very slippery.

Look at Cascade Head for a beautiful hike, north of Lincoln City. A bit steep, but so worth it. You can see for miles up and down the coast. Obviously do it on a clear day.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a one bedroom unit on one level. Bedroom was almost like studio. Believe it had 2 bathrooms. Ours were units 216 and 217, but considered one unit. Really liked it. Had a nice ocean view.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, guess who fell asleep before completing the transaction. The unit is gone now so I will just have to keep looking. :)

Thank you all for your help and information. We absolutely plan on staying on the Oregon coast again at some point. I called the resort and here is what they told me. They have two configurations for one bedroom units. A single floor unit (as @Nancy reported) that are first floor units. They also have second floor loft units (as sun starved Gayle reported - can't tag you for some reason). You can figure this out from your confirmation - two units listed = first floor, 1 unit listed = second floor. They will almost always place you in the indicated unit. It seems like the second floor units are owner deposits, and the RCI units may be first floor units, if I was following correctly. They also indicated that not all of the RCI units have views. So...clear as mud. At least you can book the unit and check the unit number first, then cancel within 24 hours if the unit doesn't work for you.

Somehow we got an exchange into Worldmark Depoe Bay this July. We are absolutely spoiled now. We had seven days of clear sunny weather. It was simply amazing, and hiking on the coast was spectacular. We hiked at Cape Perpetua, Yaquina Head, Devils Punchbowl, Cape Foulweather and Otter Rock, Spyglass Ridge, and Alder Island. Mostly easy to moderate hikes on this trip. We could make this an annual trip and be perfectly happy. I'm bummed that I screwed up and missed out on this week, but I am sure that others will come along.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, guess who fell asleep before completing the transaction. The unit is gone now so I will just have to keep looking. :)

Thank you all for your help and information. We absolutely plan on staying on the Oregon coast again at some point. I called the resort and here is what they told me. They have two configurations for one bedroom units. A single floor unit (as @Nancy reported) that are first floor units. They also have second floor loft units (as sun starved Gayle reported - can't tag you for some reason). You can figure this out from your confirmation - two units listed = first floor, 1 unit listed = second floor. They will almost always place you in the indicated unit. It seems like the second floor units are owner deposits, and the RCI units may be first floor units, if I was following correctly. They also indicated that not all of the RCI units have views. So...clear as mud. At least you can book the unit and check the unit number first, then cancel within 24 hours if the unit doesn't work for you.

Somehow we got an exchange into Worldmark Depoe Bay this July. We are absolutely spoiled now. We had seven days of clear sunny weather. It was simply amazing, and hiking on the coast was spectacular. We hiked at Cape Perpetua, Yaquina Head, Devils Punchbowl, Cape Foulweather and Otter Rock, Spyglass Ridge, and Alder Island. Mostly easy to moderate hikes on this trip. We could make this an annual trip and be perfectly happy. I'm bummed that I screwed up and missed out on this week, but I am sure that others will come along.
I am dredging this back up because I just booked a week here in July 2025 (lol - that is a long way out even for me). I booked it to see what unit we would receive and the confirmation just has "unit type" i.e., one bedroom/full kitchen and no unit number listed. So apparently you will find out when you arrive as to what type of unit you will receive. I am going to call RCI tomorrow when they are open to see if they have any way to see what unit type you will be assigned but my expectation level is low. I am fairly confident that the resort will not have this information yet so I am not going to waste my time calling them. That said, this is the exact wording of the RCI unit description, so maybe all of the units have an ocean view? I sure hope so.

Room Details

Studio units sleep from two to four guests, have one bathroom, and one queen-size bed and/or one queen-size sleep sofa. One-bedroom units sleep up to six guests, have two Queen beds, and a sleep sofa. Two-bedroom accommodations sleep from six to ten visitors, have 2.50 baths, four Queen beds, and a sleep sofa. All units include TV with DVD players and a deck with spectacular ocean views. Some units have electric fireplaces.

Actual room configurations may vary
Features at a glance
Sleeps: 6
Privacy: 4
Kitchen: Full
Bath: Varies
Amenities

• Internet Access: Wireless Internet Access
Furnishings
  • Television: Cable/Satellite
Room Facts
  • Outdoor living space: Balcony / Patio
  • Unit square footage: 950
Bed Configuration
  • Bed Size / Sleeping Arrangements (of like Unit types): Double pull out sofa , Multiple Double

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The area looks liked a place for total R & R. I just finish looking at the resort from the RCI website.
Awesome.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged into Otter Rock 10 years ago and liked it very much. I knew in advance that the view was going to be good, one set of RCI confirmation ppw showed it but another did not (I think RCI always knows but may not share), I do have a resort map if you need, let me know. We were in the front row which was farther from the parking but less obstruction (they may each have some view but many have some obstruction), a 1-BR and as I recall was a loft unit. Be prepared for some steep walking, many steps down to the water and tidepools but very worth it.

We spent 2 wks at the coast in August, when there were wildfires burning which created so much haze it affected many coastal views. After those weeks we went to Crater Lake, which I'd been wanting to see for years - pretty but whose color was diminished due to the wildfires, so much for long-range planning and timing. The unexpected highlight of the trip was a few days inland at John Day Fossil Beds, which was pretty extraordinary and absolutely spectacular, in case you can plan a side trip!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged into Otter Rock 10 years ago and liked it very much. I knew in advance that the view was going to be good, one set of RCI confirmation ppw showed it but another did not (I think RCI always knows but may not share), I do have a resort map if you need, let me know. We were in the front row which was farther from the parking but less obstruction (they may each have some view but many have some obstruction), a 1-BR and as I recall was a loft unit. Be prepared for some steep walking, many steps down to the water and tidepools but very worth it.

We spent 2 wks at the coast in August, when there were wildfires burning which created so much haze it affected many coastal views. After those weeks we went to Crater Lake, which I'd been wanting to see for years - pretty but whose color was diminished due to the wildfires, so much for long-range planning and timing. The unexpected highlight of the trip was a few days inland at John Day Fossil Beds, which was pretty extraordinary and absolutely spectacular, in case you can plan a side trip!
Perfect! I will reach out to you. Yoo bad about the wildfires. They are pretty disruptive.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The unexpected highlight of the trip was a few days inland at John Day Fossil Beds, which was pretty extraordinary and absolutely spectacular, in case you can plan a side trip!

We have always wanted to go here but never stopped. I did ride through the area on my motorcycle but our destination was Bend so we just kept on going. Beautiful area but we didn't have time to check it out.

Bill