• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 27 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 28 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $17,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $17 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Trade Dilema . . . Mistake?(on my part)

Nanoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh boy . . . where do i start?

My sister's family wanted to go on ski trip this winter, so i was ecstatic when I found a 3 bedroom at Worldmark South Shore in Tahoe for the week of February 20th through the 27th to coincide with their Presidents holiday WEEK off. . . .

Well that reservation was made in September 2008. . . .

I talked to my sister today and she all of a sudden realized their week off was February 16th through the 20th! OOOPPPSSSS:eek:

Here it is a month and a few days before our reservation . . . Don't know what to do . . . I guess call RCI? I can't do a search because I don't have an active week in the bank. I know I won't get any of my reservation fee back.

I doubt I could find anything this late considering it is Presidents week and all . . . :confused:

BUMMER! Any advice . . . ???

Joni

Nanoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I want to rent. I was hoping I could cancel this week and find something the week prior . . . YA right!!! :(

I called RCI and the guy was very nice in explaining my chances. He did a search and didn't see anything. He said I could keep checking back but to know that anyone that had a search outstanding would most likely snag anything if it did come up. If I cancel my week I have reserved, I could do an ongoing search, but didn't think I would find anything for as many people as I have . . . this late in the game.

So, if I cancel, I lose my reservation fee . . . my week loses "some" trading power, (although he couldn't explain exactly what loss of trading power meant), and I would have to pay another fee to book another reservation when, and if, I found something. (this week I have booked expires 9-09)

I guess I kinda knew all that! I was just hoping by some miracle that something would be available the prior week, but since it was the week that President's day happens to fall in . . . chances are slim to none.

So, with that in mind, I guess my sis and family can come up for a nice weekend! At least we will have Friday, Sat & Sunday. Then my DH & I will have quiet rest of the week . . . .;)

Joni

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Losing "some trading power" pretty much translates into the only thing you can pull is the "desert in August." I've had to cancel a week before (2 months ahead) when we just couldn't find decent airfare, and we ended up trading our week for Orlando.

I think you got the right idea though - (my sis and family can come up for a nice weekend! At least we will have Friday, Sat & Sunday. Then my DH & I will have quiet rest of the week) it seems like the best option.

Sometimes it's had for others to realize that a timeshare exchange is a commitment, and after awhile you think you should be committed for getting yourself into the whole big mess.

Darlene

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily... I canceled a RCI reservation (made with my 2009 week) last summer two weeks before the check-in date and the week is just as strong as the 2010 week from the same resort.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's time to get out your bucket and bail your sinking trip.

I did some searches and came up empty on Tahoe and Park City Utah for those dates.

Just for consideration there's Point Arena, CA...which is approx 2 hours north of San Francisco which has availability then:

GEVC at Lighthouse Pointe (#8771)
Point Årena, CA, USA

Also in Bear Lake, Utah, close to the Idaho boarder has availability in your time frame:

WorldMark Bear Lake (#5880)
Garden City, UT, USA

I'm sure neither of these were places you or they wanted to go, you they are available and you might look into them. Both were seen with a points account searching the weeks side of RCI.

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago we had to cancel at the last minute due to medical issues in the family. The week went back in the bank and we were told that the trading power would only work within a two-month window from the date of a request, kind of like a 'last call'. We had friends who wanted to go to St. Maarten and were able to get a good trade in that two-month window. I don't know if things have changed since then, but ask an RCI supervisor and hope to get the real story. Good luck.

cr4909

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The good news is that Tahoe has a great number of timeshares and there's a high chance that you'd be able to pick up a last-minute exchange. By last minute, I mean less than 3 weeks from check-in. There is some timeframe that ongoing searches stop (2 weeks, perhaps?). And trading power doesn't matter anymore at 45 days. If you have any week at all deposit it or cancel the existing reservation if you want to take a gamble.

Sometime after midnight EST the weeks that were canceled that day are released and I think there'd be a good chance you could snag something. Check around 10:00 PM Pacific time every night (time varies). But I'd highly suggest you hang on to your existing reservation until you find an alternative.

philsfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need a vacation, I would keep it and enjoy the week. If you can do without it and you can take last minute trips (check-in 45 days or less), cancel and hope for the best. You could get lucky and find the dates you need.

Last edited:

Nanoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and thoughts . . . I think I will wait a day or too and see if my sister can get an extra day off during the week she was supposed to be going back to work.

I kind of hate to waste money with a cancellation not being refunded and then having to pay another reservation fee.

You are so right Darlene, people don't realize how much planning/organizing it takes to snag the right week, in the right place. . . .

I will keep calling RCI, they said they would be happy to keep searching even though it wasn't likely.

I'll keep ya posted!

Trade Ninja

Reaction score
cancel equals doom

some people don t know this, but by cancelling close to the start date, you not only lose your exchange fee, but your trading value is "recalcuated"- read that as diminished- ideally, to just switch, but the demand for prez week is 1000% higher than the week after- take the kids out of school and go have fun, or even better, leave the kids at home and have a real vacation!