• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Savings Dollars

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Has anyone found anything useful to use the Platinum Savings Dollars for? I got a notice that I have $199 expiring soon, but so far it looks like slim pickings.

Sheila

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
When I've looked I haven't seen anything I was interested in either. If I'm remembering correctly, and I might not be, I looked at using them for hotels and wasn't at all impressed with how that worked because I would still have to pay at least $75 and up per night. We stay in our timeshares frequently but don't stay at hotels. For our own personal use, not my husband's stays for work, we've stayed in a hotel twice in the last 7.5 years and only for a single night each time. Both times I paid less than $75 as I booked the cheapest decent places I was able to find since we were only there to sleep and get ready to go the next morning.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I find no use for them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I don't use them at all. You wouldn't believe the number of supposed savings dollars I have built up.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I've seen hotel discounts that were maybe $6-$12 cheaper than what I could find elsewhere- Say on a $120 vs $126 room. Problem is when using saving dollars the room is immediately non refundable and I am not sure if I would be eligible to earn reward points. So not really worth using to save the little that may be applicable.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I never saw the benefits of being a Platinum RCI member?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I've enjoyed some platinum benefits... but I liked the program a bit more before 'Savings Dollars' were introduced. The rebates on certain transactions were more useful than the savings dollars.

It's like they had a brainstorming session to determine what would be the LEAST beneficial to their customers.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

If you are an RCI weeks not points owner then not enough of the benefits will apply to you to make it worth the extra expense. For points owners if you have enough points that you go frequently or use a lot of sale weeks they are so worth it IMHO. I've gotten a lot of use out of the free holds, free upgrades, free ongoing searches, advance time to book sale weeks, 10% off on sale and last call weeks and the discount on guest certificates. There are some other benefits but these are the only ones I've used.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are an RCI weeks not points owner then not enough of the benefits will apply to you to make it worth the extra expense. For points owners if you have enough points that you go frequently or use a lot of sale weeks they are so worth it IMHO. I've gotten a lot of use out of the free holds, free upgrades, free ongoing searches, advance time to book sale weeks, 10% off on sale and last call weeks and the discount on guest certificates. There are some other benefits but these are the only ones I've used.

Which of these are points only benefits?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Which of these are points only benefits?

Sorry I don't know. I only know that weeks owners posted in a thread a while back that they don't get some of the best platinum benefits. After that I asked one time when I called RCI and she confirmed that weeks owners don't get all the platinum benefits that points owners get.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Sorry I don't know. I only know that weeks owners posted in a thread a while back that they don't get some of the best platinum benefits. After that I asked one time when I called RCI and she confirmed that weeks owners don't get all the platinum benefits that points owners get.
Doesn’t surprise me as they have been diminishing the value of week owners in trading too.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I’ve used the savings dollars for restaurant certificates, but that’s about it. You can get a $25 one each month with them.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
RCI PLATINUM® Benefits
Annual RCI Points Platinum Fees Total Cost (USD) Price Per
Year (USD)

RCI Points Platinum® 1 Yr $89
RCI Points Platinum® 2 Yrs $155 $77.50
RCI Points Platinum® 3 Yrs $221 $73.67
RCI Points Platinum® 4 Yrs $279 $69.75
RCI Points Platinum® 5 Yrs $322 $64.40

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-RentalDiscounts.png

10% Discount on Extra Vacations getaways and Last Call Vacations
Enjoy an additional 10% off all your Extra VacationsSMgetaways and Last CallSM Vacations — even those already on sale.*

RCI Platinum Points Extension
Get more time to enjoy your Points! As an RCI Platinum member, who is also an RCI Points® member, you are eligible to extend your unused Points for Two Use Years, as compared to standard RCI members who can extend their Points for only One Use Year, when they pay the same applicable fee. While extended Points expire at the end of a Third Use Year for standard RCI members, RCI Platinum members will enjoy a Fourth Use Year with no additional fee.

Free Ongoing Search
Can’t find the vacation you’re looking for right now? We’ll keep a lookout for you 24/7 and you won’t be charged your exchange fee until we find a match!

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-FreeOnHold.png

Free On-Hold Vacations
Not quite ready to book? We’ll hold your 7-night RCI Weeks®vacation for you without a fee while you iron out those last minute details.

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-GuestCertDiscount.png

25% discount on Guest Certificates
Receive a 25% discount on the purchase of Guest Certificates which you can share with family or friends! An RCI® Guest Certificate lets them experience a vacation at an RCI affiliated resort booked through your RCI account.

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-TravelConcierge.png

Travel Concierge
Receive access to the comfort, care, and attention of personal assistance coordinators available 24/7 to respond to your phone calls. Available services include restaurant reservations, event ticketing, ground transportation coordination, golf tee-time reservations, and more! Click here to view all available services. Please contact RCI directly (at 1.866.545.7205) to assist you with Exchange-related inquiries. To take advantage of your Travel Concierge services, call 1.866.557.3238 (domestic) or 715.342.2414 (International collect).1

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-TravelAssistance.png

24/7 Emergency Travel Assistance
Relax knowing you have access to dedicated around-the-clock travel counselors, just a phone call away to help solve last minute travel problems or to help with emergencies, such as flight or hotel re-booking, roadside assistance - assist only, or emergency travel return services. Click hereto view all available services. Please contact RCI directly (at 1.866.545.7205) to assist you with Exchange-related inquiries. To take advantage of your Emergency Travel benefits, call 1.866.557.3238 (domestic) or 715.342.2414(International collect).1

City Attractions
Save 20% off things to do when you travel with a Go City Card multi-attraction pass. Passes include admission to top attractions, tours, museums, and more in 11 popular destinations for one low price. Pay nothing at the gate. More choices, more savings.

Complimentary Unit Upgrades & Changes
Here’s how it works: when you book your confirmed Exchange vacation, you’ll have the opportunity to receive Complimentary Unit Upgrades and Resort Changes. Just let us know you’re interested in a unit upgrade or resort change. Within two weeks of check-in, if one of the resorts you’ve specified, or a bigger unit at your confirmed resort becomes available, we’ll change your reservation and provide you with the details.

Savings Dollars
Earn Savings Dollars on select RCI transactions you already do (like paying exchange fees and renewing your RCI®subscribing membership).Then it’s up to you how you redeem them – hotel stays, home electronics, fashion, wine (where legally available to ship), jewelry, sporting goods, dining certificates and more.*

Priority Access
Get exclusive access to exchange vacations at select hotels and resorts before they’re made available to standard RCI®subscribing members for exchange.

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-PlatinumPreviews.png

Platinum Previews
RCI Platinum members have first dibs on Extra VacationsSMgetaways sales! With RCI Platinum membership, see (and book) Extra Vacations getaways sales one day earlier than standard RCI members.

RCI® Points Partner Program
Make your Points go farther! RCI Platinum members, who are RCI Points members, can use more of their annual Points allocation when booking travel – 50% of your annual Points allotment, rather than 33% for standard RCI members.

Platinum Cruise Exchange
RCI Platinum members still receive an extra $25USD off per cabin towards the purchase of select cruises (and can enjoy this benefit on an unlimited number of cabins, so bring along the whole family!)

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-PriorityAnswer.png

Priority Answer
RCI Platinum members who call 1.866.545.7205 get quicker access to our knowledgeable guides. Enjoy fast answers from the RCI Platinum experts who are waiting to help you with your vacation planning!

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-FreePointsTransfers.png

Free Points Transfers
Know an RCI Points member that could use additional Points? Lucky them! Now RCI Platinum members no longer pay a Points transfer fee, so transfer away!

RCI Platinum® Guided Vacations
Looking to explore exotic locales? Or do you want to visit a new location in the U.S.? Either way, we’ve got a vacation tour for you! Plus, RCI Platinum members receive an extra $25USD per couple towards the purchase of select tours, as compared to standard RCI members.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There are sometimes some good deals through the priority access. For example, there are a few Grand Luxxe units available that don’t have the resort fee and are for the upper tier ones (spa, loft and residence units) as well as the suites and villas. I used that before they limited it to non-Vidanta owners; right now it would save you the $30 pppd fee for the cost of a platinum membership ($89/yr). There is a limit of one week per year per resort ID, but that would still let you go there 5 or 6 times and avoid $420 in fees for a couple; way more for a family.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Having early access to extra vacation sales is nice. And getting a discount on those also helps...if you use those

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Thanks for the responses. The only thing I saw at all was the restaurant gift cards where I could use $5 at a time to get $5 off. Probably not worth it to me. I used Restaurants.com in the past, but had too many experiences where the restaurants were closed or had stopped taking the certificates. Maybe I'll give them another shot.

Sheila

klennan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found anything useful to use the Platinum Savings Dollars for? I got a notice that I have $199 expiring soon, but so far it looks like slim pickings.

Sheila
Hi, I like the hold function and the ongoing search function. I also received a 10% off when booking some weeks. I am weeks and book about 3 trips a year so for me it is
worth it. The upgrades too have worked to our benefit. Savings points are not much good. Have used a few for eateries in the USA but they have none for Canadians. Have also used for booking hotel rooms with minimal savings. I keep renewing because I feel I save a bit with it and it covers the costs of it all.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
If savings $$$ are so beneficial why can’t you use them to reduce exchange fees.... They are more of a gimmick that said if you look at the special offers on so things they are selling sometime you will find good deals that beat other online prices for items. But YMMV.

I would never use for hotel room unless I booked as I was leaving for hotel all their hotel deals are non refundable to my knowledge, rental cars same way.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure these are very similar to the travel savings dollars that Specials by Restaurant.com sells. They are... Not terribly useful, but can be useful on occasion. The use case I've found them most worthwhile for is one way long distance car rentals - twice now I've been able to use them to cut my costs by about 40% over autoslash rates. You can also sometimes use them to save a few dollars on independent hotel/motel stays, though I I'd usually rather use hotels.com to earn points. I'd almost always rather earn loyalty points by booking directly if the property is associated with a chain.

You can buy the (I'm pretty sure identical) version for about 3c per 'dollar' on restaurant.com - I have been able to redeem them for over 50c apiece on two occasions.

If anyone else has any use cases that are worthwhile, I'd surely be interested. They're essentially worthless otherwise, in my opinion.

Edit: refundability seems to come down to the agreement they have with individual vendors - some hotel stays are fully refundable, as have been my rental car reservations Well, technically, the cash portion was the only part that was refundable, you lost the savings dollars if you canceled. I considered that to be acceptable, since the points are mostly worthless otherwise...

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like they're retiring these, with new platinum benefits 'coming soon'. Maybe they'll actually offer something of value...

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve used the savings dollars for restaurant certificates, but that’s about it. You can get a $25 one each month with them.[/QUO

thanks for the reminder, I just redeemed a restaurant.com certificate
I don't understand what the savings dollars do for you. I have 500, will they get me anything?

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an offer from RCI on Oct 10 8 months for $32 for platinum membership. when I checked my credit card statement, I saw they charged me $59. I wanted to do a combine and save the 10% but I was unwilling to pay $59. I called about it, and after a very long hold while the agent talked to a supervisor, they credited the $59 and gave me seven months for no cost. So I got the combine discount and i will grab a restaurant.com certificate when I remember. Big deal you don't have to pay for the search, you still have to pay the exchange fee.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Big deal you don't have to pay for the search, you still have to pay the exchange fee.
Several people on facebook and one or two people here have reported that ongoing searches have auto booked instead of being held. When they called they were told that this is a change in rci coding. I am not sure if this is true but as a platinum member who has not prepaid the exchange fee, I have had several matches and none auto book. They just hold until released or not booked by the deadline.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine did not auto book

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like they're retiring these [restaurant.com certificates], with new platinum benefits 'coming soon'. Maybe they'll actually offer something of value...

Actually, they look like they're still there. Just a bit hard to find.