• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI response to COVID-19

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel/Cancel Information
RCI is committed to providing you maximum flexibility at this uncertain time. Please see adjustments to our current cancel policy as you consider how to proceed with your travel plans.
You may cancel confirmed points and weeks reservations at this time that have a check-in date through April 5, 2020 and receive an exchange fee credit for a future reservation. Exchange fee credit valid through June 30, 2020 to rebook a future reservation. Your travel may occur after June 30, 2020 date, but must still be within the expiration of either your deposited week or RCI Points used. If your reservation is for travel after April 5, 2020, please check RCI.com for future updates.
Please contact our experienced vacation guides for assistance at 1-317-805-8000 (RCI Weeks), 1-317-805-9941 (RCI Points)- Monday-Friday 8AM-8PM and Saturday 8AM-5PM or chat with us on RCI.com
We understand that this is a time of uncertainty and we encourage you, as always, to review all advisories before you travel.
We realize travel is important to you and at the heart of what we do. As we continue to monitor the situation we are committed to keeping you informed.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I just canceled a March 27 to April 3 booking in Bethel Maine. (1) - I am in Canada and our government is recommending to limit out of country travel to essential travel only; and (2) - it was a ski trip to Sunday River and they closed the hill yesterday.

The RCI notice wasn't 100% clear on how to cancel and left the impression it was neccessary to call. I am still not clear on whether you will get the appropriate credit if you cancel online. HOWEVER, I can positively report that you can cancel via the online Live Chat function. If you click on live chat you get put in an online que which lasted about 10 minutes to establish a link to an agent. Once connected the transaction was completed with 2-3 minutes. Much more efficient that the phone.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just canceled a March 27 to April 3 booking in Bethel Maine. (1) - I am in Canada and our government is recommending to limit out of country travel to essential travel only; and (2) - it was a ski trip to Sunday River and they closed the hill yesterday.

The RCI notice wasn't 100% clear on how to cancel and left the impression it was neccessary to call. I am still not clear on whether you will get the appropriate credit if you cancel online. HOWEVER, I can positively report that you can cancel via the online Live Chat function. If you click on live chat you get put in an online que which lasted about 10 minutes to establish a link to an agent. Once connected the transaction was completed with 2-3 minutes. Much more efficient that the phone.

Thanks so much! I have to cancel a booking too and was wondering how to go about it.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
11:45 am. 44 people ahead on live chat! But the phone answered after 11/2 hours. Nice helpful agent. Got credit for $ and 35 TPUs back. Have to rebook by June 30 and for me, travel by June 2021.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I just saw this on another thread. I currently have an exchange booked for my sister and bil with a check in date of April 11. Guess I'll be waiting to see if RCI extends the date on their policy. I'm pretty sure my sister is going to cancel this trip. She's trying to find out what the airline will do for her.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
11:45 am. 44 people ahead on live chat! But the phone answered after 11/2 hours. Nice helpful agent. Got credit for $ and 35 TPUs back. Have to rebook by June 30 and for me, travel by June 2021.

I was #3 in que and I got connected in 5 to 10 minutes to connect.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 2 extra vacations scheduled for for May29. Hoping we can travel then but not overly confident of that. Wonder if they are doing anything for the cash buyers at this point.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found this on RCI's website:
Travel/Cancel Information

RCI is committed to providing you flexibility at this uncertain time. Please see adjustments to our current cancel policy as you consider how to proceed with your travel plans:

You may cancel confirmed points and weeks reservations that have a check-in date up to 30 days in advance and receive an exchange fee credit for a future reservation. Exchange fee credit will be valid for 3 months from your cancelation date to rebook a new reservation. Your travel may occur after this time, but must be within the expiration of either your deposited week or RCI Points originally used. Please note that hotel, rental car, cruise, and activities cancel policies are based on the individual provider and are not included in the RCI exchange cancel policy adjustments.

We’re committed to supporting as many of our members as quickly as possible during this unprecedented time and are experiencing very high call volume at this time. If your reservation is within the next 30 days call 1-800-338-7777 (RCI Weeks), 1-877-7476 (RCI Points)- Monday-Friday 8AM-8PM and Saturday 8AM-5PM or chat with us on RCI.com If travel is greater than 30 days away, please check RCI.com for future updates.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did live chat to cancel an April 4 reservation. It went very smoothly.

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about this statement: "Your travel may occur after this time, but must be within the expiration of either your deposited week or RCI Points originally used." I don't know which deposit was used to book the exchange I need to cancel, so I don't know when it expires. I have an account of scraps left over from exchanges, but none of them has the same relation number as the exchange I need to cancel. I need to figure out when my substitute "travel may occur" before I cancel. Does anyone know how to do that without calling?

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a live chat - took 20-25 minutes from logging in to refund of exchange fees and TPU

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I cancelled something at a Disney resort for the end of March with a rep about an hour ago but no exchange fee credit is showing when I go to rebook? How long does the credit take to show up?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about this statement: "Your travel may occur after this time, but must be within the expiration of either your deposited week or RCI Points originally used." I don't know which deposit was used to book the exchange I need to cancel, so I don't know when it expires. I have an account of scraps left over from exchanges, but none of them has the same relation number as the exchange I need to cancel. I need to figure out when my substitute "travel may occur" before I cancel. Does anyone know how to do that without calling?

Can you see it under the existing exchange itself? If you go to confirmed exchanges, then look at the one you are going to be canceling, it says where the deposit came from. Like I can see that my next exchange came from a July 2019 week at my home resort. For another exchange, I can see that it came from a combined exchange.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled something at a Disney resort for the end of March with a rep about an hour ago but no exchange fee credit is showing when I go to rebook? How long does the credit take to show up?

I see my credit under Manage Deposits > Weeks You've Already Deposited. The first one says I have a $239 credit.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see my credit under Manage Deposits > Weeks You've Already Deposited. The first one says I have a $239 credit.
My account is via the Wyndham portal.

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you see it under the existing exchange itself? If you go to confirmed exchanges, then look at the one you are going to be canceling, it says where the deposit came from. Like I can see that my next exchange came from a July 2019 week at my home resort. For another exchange, I can see that it came from a combined exchange.

This is what I see under the existing exchange:

Deposit Details

Deposit Credits
Resort Name:

DEPOSIT CREDIT
Relation:

Start Date:

--

BR(s):

--

Unit Number:

--

Max Occ/Privacy:

--/--

Kitchen Type:

--

Interval/Year::

--

Deposit Trading Power:

I thought that the 00060 might be where the deposit came from, but it doesn't match anything currently in my account.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I see under the existing exchange:

Deposit Details

Deposit Credits
Resort Name:

DEPOSIT CREDIT
Relation:

Start Date:

--

BR(s):

--

Unit Number:

--

Max Occ/Privacy:

--/--

Kitchen Type:

--

Interval/Year::

--

Deposit Trading Power:

I thought that the 00060 might be where the deposit came from, but it doesn't match anything currently in my account.

I think that's points used from a combined deposit.

BTW, the exchange that I cancelled now has an expiration date of December 2020, so those points will definitely have to be recombined with some scraps to extend the deposit. I'm not at all sure that the original deposit I used had that December 2020 expiration date.

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, the exchange that I cancelled now has an expiration date of December 2020, so those points will definitely have to be recombined with some scraps to extend the deposit. I'm not at all sure that the original deposit I used had that December 2020 expiration date.
If you combine the cancelled exchange with scraps, will the exchange fee credit also be extended?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you combine the cancelled exchange with scraps, will the exchange fee credit also be extended?

I don't think so. The exchange fee credit seems to be only till the end of June. You have to make the exchange before June 30. You don't have to TRAVEL before June 30, but you have to make the exchange before then.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't know how they are getting away with not refunding the exchange fee IF the resort is closed.

I canceled something because the resort was closed and immediately picked something up with that exchange certificate (though I apparently have three of them on there.) So I wonder if the system will grab that first. So is this going to be a circular exchange fee that gets applied, canceled, applied, canceled as this rolls on.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got a rep that explained the credited exchange fee was like a coupon and a rep has to apply it once we make a match.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

I found out the hard way that in order to cancel and get the credit you need to call. I cancelled a timeshare online, but when I didn't see a credit for re-booking I called. I was told at that point that I'd need to contact Customer Service since I was calling on the weekend while they were closed. I didn't pick up from the online RCI notice that I had to call, but I guess that was my fault. I'm just hoping that Customer Service can fix this for me as there is a week I would like to re-book.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Personally I don't know how they are getting away with not refunding the exchange fee IF the Resort is closed.

Everyone expects the companies to bear all expense. What do you think their exchange fee covers? It’s RCI’s overhead to market your week and connect you to another week. They did that. They have no more control over Covid 19 than you do.

Nevertheless most companies are making huge accommodations.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Personally I don't know how they are getting away with not refunding the exchange fee IF the resort is closed.

This doesn't have to do with a timeshare, or timeshare company, just an example of why fees may not be refunded.

My nephew and his wife own a gorgeous wedding venue in Missouri. They haven't been open long, less than two years, but they are doing very well. During their "season" they are completely booked up, and sometimes booked into the next year. With the restrictions of number of people that can be in one place this has meant some major changes in bookings. Originally the max number was 50, just recently it was lowered to 10. It sounds like most of their customers have been understanding and as flexible as they can be. However there was one customer who demanded a full refund. My nephew offered to do a smaller wedding on the same date with a larger reception (at nephew's cost) at a later date, or to move the entire wedding to a later date. He explained that if he had to provide refunds to everyone he would be out of business and then no one could be married there ever.