• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points ?

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious why there does not seem to be a forum for this ? Why is that, or am I overlooking where it is ? I am considering a purchase and need to become educated like before I did with weeks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably because the only real difference is the currency used. Same resorts, same RCI, and RCI changes the rules on a whim. Get used to 'points partner's and they disappear. The only primary difference I see is being able to use points for shorter stays, but then the resorts tack on housekeeping charges. I have both weeks and points and there is not enough difference to warrant a forum.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Clarification: RCI points are the exchange value of a specific timeshare. In other words, you buy an actual timeshare and it is enrolled with RCI, and therefore has RCI points. You cannot buy RCI points independently of buying a timeshare. So the forums that apply to you will be the forum where the actual timeshare is located, and the Exchangine Fourm - where RCI is discussed.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I am curious why there does not seem to be a forum for this ? Why is that, or am I overlooking where it is ? I am considering a purchase and need to become educated like before I did with weeks.
I think because you own in smaller systems and the ownership is either in weeks or points. The nuan
thisnisna great unit if it’s a redweek 2 bedroom platinum

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think because you own in smaller systems and the ownership is either in weeks or points. The nuan

thisnisna great unit if it’s a redweek 2 bedroom platinum

So the points are either Platinum or Regular points ?

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise:

And that is my question, where is RCI exchange forum ? I see many of the others, Marriott, etc etc but no RCI. Curious how they change the rules as they go ....

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So the points are either Platinum or Regular points ?
A minute remaining on the auction. You pay for platinum membership with RCI. Points are points. Platinum gives you more perks not more points

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
CPNY, the quote thing seems to not be working. I should have asked the question hours ago as I was watching that auction.

Here are more questions:

Floating vs fixed week w points - if the are " RED " points, is that as good as it gets ?
Does it make sense to have a specific deeded week over floating ? Say a high demand week ?
I was watching that auction mentioned above as I went thru a presentation at the resort recently, but seem to have additional questions - not totally comfortable yet.
I have in the past owned both deeded actual unit weeks and floating, but depending on the rules for use of floating use, could be behind other red week users with a specific deeded week ? Not sure how this works.
I am currently an RCI weeks owner. Can I see what number of points it will take to get a specific size unit at a particular resort in RCI, or ONLY when I am a points member / owner ?

Thanks for any clarifying answers ...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
CPNY, the quote thing seems to not be working. I should have asked the question hours ago as I was watching that auction.

Here are more questions:

Floating vs fixed week w points - if the are " RED " points, is that as good as it gets ?
Does it make sense to have a specific deeded week over floating ? Say a high demand week ?
I was watching that auction mentioned above as I went thru a presentation at the resort recently, but seem to have additional questions - not totally comfortable yet.
I have in the past owned both deeded actual unit weeks and floating, but depending on the rules for use of floating use, could be behind other red week users with a specific deeded week ? Not sure how this works.
I am currently an RCI weeks owner. Can I see what number of points it will take to get a specific size unit at a particular resort in RCI, or ONLY when I am a points member / owner ?

That’s one of the best RCI point contracts out there. It looked to be a 2 bedroom 89K. If you have a platinum account you get a priority view. It depends on the resort and time of the year you want. I picked it up for DVC trades, I’ve seen 85K all the way to 44K (pre covid). With COVID I see. 23K for DVC so not accurate in point values right now. 2 bedroom regal vista and the 4 bedroom regal vista are the best. Better than Grandview

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
CPNY - so were you a bidder on this one ?
No I own one just like that one. It’s plenty of points for my needs

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Here are more questions:

Did you want to buy that resort to go to that resort? Or buy it for the points and use the points in RCI? I bought it for the latter. As long as you own the highest point value week it doesn’t matter. You’ll get the highest point value for your week. The points are automatically in your RCI account each year and if you want to book they verify the MF are paid.

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I own one just like that one. It’s plenty of points for my needs

Ok, I will just have to watch for future ads. That was a bit peculiar the rules for using points at your home resort, need to put in a request a YEAR before using the points for that usage. For instance on that one being discussed 89,000 points for a 2 bdrm - since Floating seems that a particular unit or time slot not guaranteed. Then add the fees for points usage, which can theoretically go up based on RCI and / or the resorts inputs ?

I own 2 weeks currently and considering selling one of them, at one point I had 2.5 per year now 2 and not sure how long will take to sell a March week in Florida ( San Destin ). Considering trying this points thing ...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Ok, I will just have to watch for future ads. That was a bit peculiar the rules for using points at your home resort, need to put in a request a YEAR before using the points for that usage. For instance on that one being discussed 89,000 points for a 2 bdrm - since Floating seems that a particular unit or time slot not guaranteed. Then add the fees for points usage, which can theoretically go up based on RCI and / or the resorts inputs ?

I own 2 weeks currently and considering selling one of them, at one point I had 2.5 per year now 2 and not sure how long will take to sell a March week in Florida ( San Destin ). Considering trying this points thing ...
I like RCI points. As I said, I only picked it up for DVC but can see myself trying for Wyndham or Hilton

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like RCI points. As I said, I only picked it up for DVC but can see myself trying for Wyndham or Hilton

I do have one other question. Floating weeks - I suppose there can be regular weeks and points floating, so trying to understand the difference. Reg weeks floating - deal with resort ( or RCI ) to get a specific week reserved ? I suspect w points that would be only with RCI, as the points are RCI points, correct ?

It seemed like when I spoke to someone, it sounded like if you don't plan to go to your own resort, points are simply points, the M/F attached to those points and original cost ( may be ) most important consideration ? Do resorts have the ability likes weeks to add special assessments to their owners ( so maybe it does matter what your home resort is ) ?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We have had a floating week in St Augustine FL since 1982 and rarely bank to exchange it since we bought where we like to go and can move the week around each year (with some limits) to suit our needs. They tried to get us to convert it to points many years (over a decade?) ago but for more money than what we originally paid for the week which we weren't interested in, even though the points system sounded interesting to us.

I did a lot of research in this forum and eventually found a person wanting to give away their points package based out of a resort in TN associated with Vacation Villages for week 26 in a 2 bedroom for 77K RCI points. With these points we always get 3-5 weeks (21-40 nights) of vacations by going to other resorts at different times and sometimes in a smaller (1 bed) unit than what our points are associated with. We have never stayed at the resort our points are based out of and only got them due to the lower maintenance fees than some of the others we looked at. If we ever do want to blow all our points at once and stay there we need to notify them many months in advance when we pay our maintenance fee, but that will never happen. When we wanted to see the resort the year after we bought it we exchanged into a 1 bedroom unit a few miles away for 7K points and then drove over to have a look.

We love the points system as we can get so many weeks with just 1 years worth of maintenance fees plus the exchange fee. With the RCI points we can stay up to 13 nights for the same exchange fee as staying 7 nights, and now that we are retired we do that often. We have 2 online RCI accounts (but pay 1 membership fee) and when I search for a points exchange I can see how many points are needed for each stay in the search results. There is also a spot to search for stays costing less than 10K points which are usually (but not always) just 1 bedrooms and a check-in within the next few weeks.

Our problem now is going to be trying to use up nearly all of our points when we are allowed to travel (we are Canadian) to the US. There is such limited choices up here and we live 10-45 mins from most of the timeshares in Ontario and have zero interested in exchanging so close to home. It looks like our 2 fall vacations will also be cancelled (as was our spring & summer ones) and the points returned but they expire next May and we normally are south (non-timeshare) all of Jan., Feb. & March. We might be returning from our winter stay to repack for a few timeshare vacations as we hate giving RCI even more money to extend our points.

~Diane

JRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise:

Thank you. I see now. I started this thread under time pressure ( my fault ) as was considering bidding on that item discussed earlier.

Special thanks to CPNY for all the advice last night.

Hope a similar deal comes back around, I will feel better once I understand the points system to make sure I can take advantage like moonstone suggested. I haven't retired yet, maybe that means that I should wait until that time to make it work better for me ....

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I haven't retired yet, maybe that means that I should wait until that time to make it work better for me ....

We were not retired when we acquired our points, the opportunity came up so we got them then. We figured if we couldn't use all of them each year then one of our 3 travel loving adult kids could use some. The first year DH was retired (I was still working, but on medical leave awaiting knee surgery) we booked two 13 night stays back to back in addition to our week at our home resort to see how we felt about being away from home and the family for over a month. At that point we were contemplating spending 3 mos away each winter but thought that was a good way to ease into it. Everything worked out well and we did a slightly longer stay the next year before deciding we could do the whole 3 months.

Take your time and investigate all the various point systems to see what would suit you best, then wait for a good price on what you want.

~Diane