• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points trading question.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an II user trying to help a friend with RCI points. They are looking for the week after Christmas this year (is that even possible at this point?). Can they set up an ongoing search like I do in II, or do they just have to keep looking online constantly, or both? If they should be looking online is there a better time of day to do that, like first thing in the morning similar to II? Thank you for your guidance!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They can set up an ongoing request. If they aren't platinum, they will have to prepay the exchange fee. The ongoing request only matches with weeks deposits. It won't match with points deposits. Most points deposits auto come into the system at 12 months prior, with booking available to everyone at 10 months. At 6 months it is possible that some developer will deposit something into points inventory or someone who previously booked will cancel. So checking manually isn't a bad idea, even with an ongoing search. Also I am not sure how often ongoing searches check. I know they do at around midnight after 24 hr holds drop off. I am no sure they check for matches during the day as well. So there even could be weeks inventory that could be available briefly before the batch ongoing search checks.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an II user trying to help a friend with RCI points. They are looking for the week after Christmas this year (is that even possible at this point?). Can they set up an ongoing search like I do in II, or do they just have to keep looking online constantly, or both? If they should be looking online is there a better time of day to do that, like first thing in the morning similar to II? Thank you for your guidance!
What areas / resorts are of interest?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are units available right now in Orlando and some to the South.

As others have said, you can set up ongoing searches to target certain resorts. You can also look every day to see what is available.

If you are a TUG member, there is a sightings forum that can help.

In the end, teaching your friend how to search RCI for units would be your best bet if that is possible.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At least a 2 BR anywhere in Florida south of Orlando.
So I take this to mean, no Orlando and beachfront. A two bedroom week 52 will be a challenge and starting an ongoing search now, they will be behind plenty of others that started to search up to 6 months ago or more. If they include Orlando and inland at Weston, there chances would improve greatly.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I take this to mean, no Orlando and beachfront. A two bedroom week 52 will be a challenge and starting an ongoing search now, they will be behind plenty of others that started to search up to 6 months ago or more. If they include Orlando and inland at Weston, there chances would improve greatly.
Thank you. Correct, no Orlando. I figured it was a long shot for them this late. But they have points and someone said earlier that you cannot do an ongoing search with points? Is that not accurate?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The request stops working at 60 days in advance, after that it is manual search only, so get it set up ASAP.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can try a manual search first. Depending on if your friend has a specific check in date and location/resort, there may be something they can book right away. I did a rand check and there seems to be a few availability in December. For a example, club Wyndham Palm-Aire Pompano Beach is available the week of Christmas. Checking in December 22, 2 bedroom for 7 days for 59, 500 RCI points.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Correct, no Orlando. I figured it was a long shot for them this late. But they have points and someone said earlier that you cannot do an ongoing search with points? Is that not accurate?
With a points ownership, you can book units in weeks or points. The ongoing search will only see the weeks inventory, but that is where most of the inventory is.

There are some units available that are not in Orlando. Just start looking.