• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI points program change and Legacy Resorts

asingerkeating

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy Orlando
Legacy Reno
For the past 10 years that I’ve had my Orlando and Reno Legacy weeks in the RCI Points program, I have always been able to use the upcoming year points as long as my current year is paid in full. It always is. This is critical because the resorts worth going to in the RCI system are always booked way in advance. Yesterday I received notice that my points had been frozen until I paid my fees. Since I’m paid in full through 2023, I was very confused. I double checked I was paid in full with Legacy on both weeks and then called RCI. I was told that they’ve made a change and future year points are no longer available. Sure enough, I’m showing 0 future year points. I explained that I haven’t even gotten my 2023 bills yet and have zero balances with Legacy so how could I possibly pay fees that haven’t even yet been assessed. The bills don’t usually get issued until fall. If I have to wait until the fall of 22 to try and book our summer 2023 vacation, there will be nothing left that’s above 2 or 3 stars. This is totally unacceptable! Since these timeshare were gifted to me, and I just kept them in the RCI program that my now deceased relative always used, I’m unfamiliar with the points system. Is RCI the only exchange system I can use with Legacy? If there are others and I can switch, what points exchange system would you very knowledgeable folks on this forum recommend and why? Thanks in advance for your help!

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
I don’t know about Legacy but I have in the past prepaid my MF’ to the resort in order to have these added to my RCI account. I have done this with Spinnaker as well as Vacation Village because RCI requires it for further deposits and has been that way since I started using RCI, which has only been 4-5 years.

You also created this post twice under different headings. Perhaps a mod might want to remove one.

asingerkeating

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy Orlando
Legacy Reno
Thanks for the info. And thanks for the heads up about the dup post. Just reported it and asked to have it removed. I’m a newbie to this site.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
There may be something RCI didn't tell you about why the 2023 points aren't showing as available. Legacy's contract with RCI could be ending and there either isn't currently a new contract or there won't be a new contract.

Here's the situation I ran into. Towards the end of last year I kept getting reminders to renew our RCI membership before it expired on January 31. I found out that I couldn't make any reservations past that date until I paid to renew. I wanted to pay our RCI points account membership fee for the maximum number of years, five, to get the biggest discount. However I could only pay for three years at that time due Vacation Village's contract with RCI. Their maximum is four years and the current year counted. If I didn't need to make a reservation past January 31 I could have waited until January 1 and then I could renew for 4 years.

We own at Grandview Las Vegas a Vacation Village property and they use Daily Management to bill and collect the maintenance fees. If I needed to borrow 2023 points to make a reservation I would log into my Daily Management account to prepay the 2023 maintenance fees at the 2022 rate. Then later this year when the bill for 2023 comes I would pay any difference if the maintenance fees for 2023 went up.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one TS where I pay the maintenance before the bill has been issued. I just paid for our 2023 weeks in April 2022 so I will be able to book a year in advance.

When the 2023 bill is actually issued by the resort, I will pay any additional maintenance if it's gone up.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG @asingerkeating
Once you figure out the current issue, it's probably time to assess whether to keep the Legacy. How many RCI points do they generate? What is the cost per point?

Last edited:

asingerkeating

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy Orlando
Legacy Reno
Welcome to TUG @asingerkeating
Once you figure out the current issue, it's probably time to assess whether to keep the Legacy. How many RCI points do they generate? What is the cost per point?
I’m new to this. My maintenance fees are now up to $1,800 a year. That gets me 109,750 per year so I’m guessing that means it’s about $60.50 per point?

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Almost. The math actually goes the other way. Divide your MF by the number of points.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Duh! Can’t believe I did that. Ok. So $0.0164 sound right?

The community wisdom on TUG has been you should shoot for paying less than a penny a point.

Last time I calculated my Massanutten ownership it was $0.0067 per point.

If you are going to use that for several years, I would recommend trying to get out and finding a more efficient trader.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have weeks at 3 resorts that I usually put into RCI. Sometimes I'm told I can't book till maintanence is paid and other times no problem. I go in and pay what I was charged the year before. That works and then I usually end up paying a few dollars more when the bill comes near the end of the year.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

asingerkeating

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy Orlando
Legacy Reno
@asingerkeating
On the II forum, this Legacy owner posted about the problems at a Legacy Orlando resort.. That right there told me all I needed to know about the Legacy system.
I realize you are in RCI, so you won't be able to log in to read; I can copy/paste and send to you in private message.
Thank you so much! I’ve never stayed at my home resort in Orlando since I got it deeded to me. The only time I stayed there was about 10 years ago when it was deeded over to me. It was kind of run down with rude staff then. I knew it wasn’t going to be anywhere I would ever want to stay again. I’ve never been to the one in Reno. I’m going to take everyone’s advice and prepay my fees for 2023 so I can book my 2023/2024 trips. If the availability of excellent resorts continues to decline, and feed keep going up, I might decide to try the deed-back program Legacy has. While I would never in a million years have bought a timeshare, I didn’t realize it was a life sentence when my relatives gave them to me. Can’t say I totally regret it. I’ve gone on some amazing vacations I wouldn’t have otherwise been able to afford. But as the fees go up and the options decline, I’m starting to think I probably won’t want to continue owning these units at some point in the next 3-5 years. I really appreciate all the help from this group!

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@asingerkeating
You have the right attitude. Use up the current points, while researching what exactly you need to do to give these back.
If you wish to continue in RCI Points, get a resort that gives you the most points for the least maintenance fees.
If you want to try Interval, get yourself a low cost Marriott or Sheraton.
And if you don't want any more timeshares, you can always rent.