• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI point weekend exchange for 4500 points

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard or seen the ability to exchange into your home resort for 4500 points for one weekend?

A sales person said it was possible, but I haven't seen it.

I've seen exchanges for as few as 7500 points for one week, so it seems that 4500 point exchanges for one weekend are possible in theory.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can get it for 7500 pts, you can typically get it for $259 or whatever the RCI Sale of the Month is. This might be a better deal than 7500 or 4500 pts.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
A weekend or two day exchange fee in RCI is only $89, I think. If you value 4500 RCI points as $45, then you'd be looking at a total of $134 for a two day reservation, which is s substantial discount from $259.
Weekend reservations are much better for our situation with small kids.

When I'm in RCI's website, I filter by resorts that allow 1-6 night reservations, then by exchanges requiring 10000 points per week or less.
There are quite a few resorts that show up that way that are of interest to me, BUT,
When I go the next step to try and make the reservation, the website says that the availability is non existent.

In other words, it seems that there are resorts that allow 4500 points exchanges, but for whatever I don't seem to be able to get to them.

I wonder if having RCI platinum fixes this problem of fathom availability.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's BS. I saw you were at Massanutten. Last year I had the sales guy (not the tour person) try to say that the points value dropped so that at 1 month it would be 9000 and then one week before it would be 4500. I told him he he either didn't understand RCI points or was lying and that I have never seen such a thing. He started yelling at me saying he wasn't making this up and I was the one that was wrong but it was based on availability and I might just not have seen the availability. I promptly pulled out my phone and showed him the over 10 rci points check in's at Massanutten in less than 7 days and none were below 7000. He was still a** for the rest of the time and continued to yell at me.

As to what they told you. It is weeks inventory that get discounted not points inventory. So through points it is going to be $219 plus the 6500-9000 for the full week. He tried to back peddle saying that I could get any week at my converted points unit for $40 exchange fee through rci points and I said yes I know but then I would be using the full points amount. As it is if I want to exchange to Massanutten I can use the internal exchange fee through weeks for $139 and most weeks other than Xmas and NYE and summer can be had for 4-10 tpus and sometimes those tpu's can be booked months ahead not waiting until last minute unless I want to. I usually get enough through the program where you pay your MF's by Oct rather than January 1 and get bonus tpu's for a stay for only the $139 exchange fee. Much cheaper than using RCI points. I usually have 1-2 long weekends during the non summer season at Massanutten and my cost is generally less than $180 including the exchange fee. Sometimes I have family members who take the second half of the week.

Also I asked about housekeeping fees when doing short stays. The tour person said she wasn't sure but didn't think anything would apply. She asked the jerk guy who swore up and down that they would not apply and I asked why the rci points page indicated that points stays of less than 7 days would be charged and the charge was based on which hoa and the size of the unit. More loud air blowing that I just didn't understand the system.

I told my tour guide that I would consider converting my weeks (if the price were right) but not for stays at Massanutten only for using the overinflated points value and decent MF ratio to go elsewhere. The price wasn't right.

Sometimes they do discount points inventory so I looked at Massanutten it isn't half off the 9000 discount it would be a discount over the normal points requirement which for weekends can be higher. I did see a 1 bed at woodstone. the discounted points cost for a fri-sun was 8800 plus the $79 exchange fee plus the $49 hk fee. So $130 plus 8800 points.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
dominidude,
If you go through weeks and using a deposit from VV you get an exchange fee of $139 into any massanutten section or any other VV affiliate.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
dominidude,
If you go through weeks and using a deposit from VV you get an exchange fee of $139 into any massanutten section or any other VV affiliate.

Thanks tschwa2.

I will keep the $139 exchange fee in RCI weeks in mind as an option.

I also called RCI Points to see if the problem was on RCI's end, and sure enough it is.

In other words, RCI does make available 4500 point exchanges, or even as little as 3200 point exchanges for a couple of nights. And the resorts could be ANYWHERE, the exchanges are not just limited to your home resort or home group.

My problem was with filtering down the resorts to just show the low point exchanges.

This is what ones has to do when searching for low RCI point exchanges for less than a week:
1)filter by "points range" to only show "1-10,000" points per week exchanges
2)filter by "number of nights" to show exchanges for just 1-6 nights
3) At this point you need to make note of the resorts that you'd like to stay at and dates of availability, because if you click on the button that says "check availability" at this point, the next page will say that there is no availability
4) remove the "points range" filter, which will cause you to get a much larger number of resorts with a wide range of points required for exchange
5) now choose the resort that you previously noted as "interested in" during the dates were previously shown, and voilá, you now have an ultra low point
exchange for just as many days as you need with an exchange fee that is less than $219.

This similarly works exchanges that are more than one week, instead of choosing the "number of nights" filter as "1-6" you'd choose "7+". That way you can get a low point exchange for more than 7 days for the same exchange fee of $219.

Something to be aware of are the cleaning fees. Some resorts may require payment of a cleaning fee for stays of less than a week.

The lady I talked to in RCI tech support said that there is nothing they can do to streamline the search for low point exchanges. That the system is working as designed.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The low points requirements for weekend are going to be dead dead times of the year. Yes you could stay in ocean city in a 2 br this weekend. The lighthouse point shows availability. It would be $59 and 4400 points. It doesn't mention housekeeping but I would be prepared for a $65 fee at check in.

With timeshares check in could be as late as 5pm and check out at 10am. No indoor pool at this resort. If I were going to OC in the winter for 2 days, I would probably just find a hotel special for around $50 squeeze into a single room for the 2 nights, get hot chocolate and cookies in the lobby enjoy the oceanfront view, swim in the heated indoor/outdoor pool (Dunes Manor, I'm talking to you) check in at 2pm and check out at 12pm. I can leave trash in the trash can and I don't have to strip the beds (many OC ts make you do that).

Last summer I booked the June 19-June 21 with points in Ocean City at a 2 br. The points requirement was 23,920. I think the rci transaction fee was $79. I think hk was $65. A total bargain in my book. This year I did a full week (34500) again at a points resort at exactly 10 months. I think the fee was $159 with no HK because it was a full week. I think the transaction fee went up $10 this year. Short stays and using points can be a bargain but I wouldn't obsess about finding the 4500 points weekend stays because they will be at times when you probably don't want to travel to that location anyway.