• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Platinum - - Changes/Improvements Effective Nov 14 2015

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your post - interesting read.

Does RCI platinum ever offer any of the HYATT hotels in the city, like they did 5 years ago? Like downtown Seattle or Chicago? Since we are on the left coast (and near the beach), all those platinum units in the Florida panhandle had no appeal for us. But we really enjoyed our trip to the Chicago Hyatt the one year we had platinum. After that, the the appeal of the Platinum offerings seemed to REALLY decline.

Thanks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think this year it has primarily been Hilton city hotels that I have seen. I know there were a boat load of sleeps 4 and sleeps 2 hotel rooms for DC including the summer and various other cities, including Chicago I believe.

I think there were about 5 different cities offered.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are getting rid of the rebates and giving you Savings Dollars to be used in fixed amounts (say $25) for things you don't need or want - like restaurant.com certs. The main reason I have Platinum is because I get more in rebates than the annual fee. In 3 years I have gotten one upgrade and have booked the Washington DC Hilton at a very high TPU rate (but I needed it).

Getting full deposit value at 6 months is nice but not worth much since you only lose about 5% at that point. Curious what others see as an improvement.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Not impressed

Sounds like they are getting rid of the rebates and giving you Savings Dollars to be used in fixed amounts (say $25) for things you don't need or want - like restaurant.com certs. The main reason I have Platinum is because I get more in rebates than the annual fee. In 3 years I have gotten one upgrade and have booked the Washington DC Hilton at a very high TPU rate (but I needed it).

Getting full deposit value at 6 months is nice but not worth much since you only lose about 5% at that point. Curious what others see as an improvement.

Like you...I enjoyed earning the $15 "rebates" on extra vacations etc. I've earned $30 so far this year...which offsets the Platinum fee. Not thinking I'll be renewing this year. :( I don't use anything that the Savings Dollars will be used for. Too bad.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Just sent this to the Contact us email. I don't expect it to do any good but I might as well let them know what I think.

I have seen the changes to the platinum program. I really am not impressed at all and do not think I will be renewing. I have access to "lifestyle benefits" through multiple memberships/ownerships that I already have and think it is worthless and useless "benefit" that I wouldn't pay $1 a year let alone anything more. I don't know how this third party vendor has managed to convince so many membership programs to enroll but I wish you would come up with something that is more worthwhile than "savings dollars"

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Hmmm...just read it again

Like I tell my kids when "reading closely"...read once for the flow, and then read a second time for deeper understanding. ;) On the second read-through, I noticed that Platinum members get a 10% discount when booking extra vacations and last call trips. That would be better for me than the $15/trip. The extra vacation we just took to Timber Creek was $419, so 10% off would have been about $42 of discount...better than the $15 rebate. So maybe not such a bad deal after all. Time will tell!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
My platinum membership is paid thru 2017. We do an annual group ski trip where we get multiple units using extra vacation sales. I only did the platinum upgrade because the $15 rebate per unit more than covers the annual fee. The only other benefit I use from platinum is advanced notice of sales. I've never received a unit upgrade and never use the restaurant.com certificates (and recently gave a bunch away). If the new 'savings dollars' are only good on 3rd party stuff, I doubt that I'll renew.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of my random observations:
1. Unit Upgrade (not that I have ever received one) The start date of the stay including the upgraded unit must be within 2 days of the start date (either 2 days before or 2 days after) of the previously confirmed Exchange and the length of the stay must be the same number of nights as the previously confirmed Exchange, and the upgraded unit must be at the same resort as for the applicable Exchange.

I couldn't imagine getting the automatic upgrade 2 weeks prior to trip and finding out it didn't have the same start day.

2. They state members can request a different resort within 2 weeks prior as long as same geographic area. This may be an interesting one to snag something better last minute.

3. 10% of getaways, extra vacations. I like that.

4. Free ongoing searches. I like that.

5. Deposit Restore: looks like for a fee you can late deposit and still get full TPUs.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
From my initial reading, I'm understanding some of those benefits just a little differently.

4. Free ongoing searches isn't a new one. They've had that for a while.

5. Deposit Restore. Instead of getting 100% for deposits 9+ months out, Platinum members get 100% for 6+ months out. I think you were only dinged 5% for 6-9 months, so that's a pretty minor change, and it only applies to that specific situation. Also, I don't think there's a fee for that.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
regarding the free search, that only happens if you call in and set up the search, if you set it up online yourself, you have to put the deposit down. Last year I set up on phone, confirmed on line, and was charged the on phone amount which I never was able to clear up. So I went ahead and paid the fee for the ongoing search this time. I probably won't renew.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
regarding the free search, that only happens if you call in and set up the search, if you set it up online yourself, you have to put the deposit down. Last year I set up on phone, confirmed on line, and was charged the on phone amount which I never was able to clear up. So I went ahead and paid the fee for the ongoing search this time. I probably won't renew.

Thanks for this info.....I had thought that free OGS were dropped from RCI Platinum as I have always paid, but I also do online. I'm about the put one in...so guess I will call.