• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI pictures of Sands of Kahana. Wow, they did some updates. So beautiful.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Look at the resort directory on RCI and be amazed as I am. We have 12 days next year at SOK, and I am hoping the units look like the pictures. Gorgeous kitchen updates and furniture. From Drab to Fab.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like a very nice resort and an excellent view of the ocean.

akp

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, there are quite a few units available as Extra Vacations. $2500 for a 3 bedroom seems not bad at all if they're as nice as they look.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Some units have great views, but some units have views of the gardens and of parking structures. The one bedrooms are particularly problematic for getting good views, and the breezes don't cool those units as much as the ocean views. Then again, you have the west sunsets, which can be quite hot in an ocean view/ oceanfront unit. We used to own there. It was just an okay place back then.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a 3 BR on RCI, I was told that it is unit 3BF. Does it mean anything in terms of the unit I will get? Could it be ocean view? Do I have better odds getting a better view with a 2 BR? I see on the resort map that building 3 is oceanfront but the units # do not have letters.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I own at the SOK. I was there a year ago in April. We enjoyed our stay there - - as always. The upgrade or refresh is very nice. We were in a 3 BR penthouse and to get into BR2 with a suitcase, the dresser was a bit oversize and encroached on the passage way. So if you were carrying in a suitcase, you would have to walk in a bit sideways. But it was still pretty nice. I think that they did a decent job on the remodel.

So for the next roughly 3 years the owners are paying extra money to pay for the refresh. That underscores the fact (in my opinion) that the mgmt. company is not reserving enough $ for routine refreshings. I also own at a Marriott in Palm Desert and they have substantial mgmt. reserves, plus they have a 5, 10 and 15 year refreshment plan. SOK delayed nearly 40 years to change out their low-end kitchen cabinets.

We had an issue with rodent signs. There was a hole in the drywall under the kitchen sink. There were also a few mouse turds and what appeared to be dried urine. I plugged the hole with paper towels. The next day the paper towel was pushed out and there were lots of little bits of paper towel. That confirmed for me that there were active rodents. I informed the front desk and they quickly sent out their contracted pest control person. They patched the hole. When I looked under the sink in the Master BR bath, I saw that when they did the remodel, they (for some unknown reason) removed the drywall under the sink. So, I could see the concrete structure of the building. That also means that if a mouse or rate was able to get through any pipe or electrical penetrations that they could get into my unit. I could also see (sorry for my language), a few mouse turds and what appeared to be a liquid that dehydrated and turned a yellow-ish brown (dried rodent "pee") inside of the cabinet. So, even though the mgmt company has taken a bunch of steps to control the previously (IMHO: Out-of-control) rodent issue (those actions - - for which I'm appreciative), they still aren't done. I guess it is part of the islands - - yes, there are bugs (including flying palmetto bugs (roaches), and rodents (who were pushed out of the cane fields when they were closed down). But I believe that it is part of the tropics. When I'm there, I don't leave food out. Most either goes into the refrig. or into a kitchen cabinet. I also keep the patio screen door closed.

But, it is a nice-enough place. The employees are friendly and helpful. The mgmt company - - although they have some faults and are (IMHO) afraid to allow true owners onto their Board of directors, are generally doing an okay job. And, yes, I will be going back.

BTW, you are more likely to get a nice view in a 3 BR unit. It is possible to get one that overlooks Lower Honoapiilani hwy, but most have some sort of view (even if slim) of the ocean. Call ahead of time and request a higher unit.

Sn0wbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm the new owner and we're going there for the first time next year. I got an ocean view reserved at Plumeria. Will I guaranteed to get an overview? Which building and room should I request to get the best view? Which buildings have been remodeled/updated? Thanks!

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
All units were remodeled (which occurred about 3 or 4 years ago?).

You are very likely to get a nice ocean view if that is what you reserved. My preference is always to ask for a unit up high as that will likely decrease street noise and maximize your view.

I invite you to join the concerned owners group. No cost and no spam. You'll get periodic updates on things pertinent to the Sands and there is a For rent/want to rent email that comes out periodically. The website is SOKCO dot info

Sn0wbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
All units were remodeled (which occurred about 3 or 4 years ago?).

You are very likely to get a nice ocean view if that is what you reserved. My preference is always to ask for a unit up high as that will likely decrease street noise and maximize your view.

I invite you to join the concerned owners group. No cost and no spam. You'll get periodic updates on things pertinent to the Sands and there is a For rent/want to rent email that comes out periodically. The website is SOKCO dot info
Thank you. This is helpful. I just subscribed for the group. I used to see the group on FB but not anymore.