• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI or II - or Both?

abbydoo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brant Point Courtyard
Buying a timeshare again after selling our last two and missing our home resort (we moved away and now want to vacation there once a year). We used to belong to RCI and II but didn't use them much.

Should we join both again or is one better than the other? If we join II what is the best value membership - Gold, Platinum, Basic (is there a Basic)?

I am not sure we will trade much since 1) we are buying a studio since it was the right move for us right now, so probably not a lot of trading power, and 2) we want to vacation at the resort yearly. Buy if we end up buying a 2nd week so that we can take a longer vacation we may end up want to trade that once in a while. Just curious - is there a way to see what your trading power is before you deposit your week?

Our resort is Brant Point Courtyard on Nantucket, week 40 and if we traded we would be interested in potentially Newport, RI, Block Island, RI, Alexandria, VA, Pacific Grove, CA, and maybe a few spots in Europe (Scotland, England, France, Italy). But as I said, with our unit, not sure we would have access to many choices.

Most likely if there is a circumstances where we can't fly there for vacation, we would rent our unit out.

We might be interested in the Getaways offered by II, not sure if RCI offers that same.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both II and RCI offer cash rentals. II calls them Getaways. RCI calls them Extra Vacations or Last Call.
Some are good values, others are not.

For Alexandria and Pacific Grove, rent from an Owner. These resorts are rarely deposited into the Exchange companies. None of the other places have a large supply of timeshares either. Of the places you listed, Scotland has the most, and there aren't that many there.

II rates Week 40 in New England Coast as TDI 135 out of 150. (First week in October.)
But you have an "unrated" studio, (meaning the resort doesn't have many amenities). You will pay upsize fees if you wish to trade through II into a larger unit. $99 per step.

If /when you decide you want to Exchange, get a dedicated Marriott trader, 2 br lock-off, free/cheap on ebay. Then join II.

Your resort sounds very quaint. I had not heard of it. Thanks for mentioning it.
Brant Point Courtyard

Nantucket, Massachusetts • A VRI Managed Resort

BPC
Brant Point Courtyard is located in the Brant Point section of Nantucket Island, close to ocean beaches, tennis courts, a marina, and the center of town. Visitors will find fine restaurants, shopping, horseback riding and hiking trails, museums, and historic sites on this picturesque resort island. There are excellent opportunities for all water sports, from sailing to fishing to swimming and scuba diving.

LIMITED EXCHANGE ACTIVITY

Last edited:

abbydoo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brant Point Courtyard
Both II and RCI offer cash rentals. II calls them Getaways. RCI calls them Extra Vacations or Last Call.
Some are good values, others are not.

For Alexandria and Pacific Grove, rent from an Owner. These resorts are rarely deposited into the Exchange companies. None of the other places have a large supply of timeshares either. Of the places you listed, Scotland has the most, and there aren't that many there.

II rates Week 40 in New England Coast as TDI 135 out of 150. (First week in October.)
But you have an "unrated" studio, (meaning the resort doesn't have many amenities). You will pay upsize fees if you wish to trade through II into a larger unit. $99 per step.

If /when you decide you want to Exchange, get a dedicated Marriott trader, 2 br lock-off, free/cheap on ebay. Then join II.

Your resort sounds very quaint. I had not heard of it. Thanks for mentioning it.
Brant Point Courtyard

Nantucket, Massachusetts • A VRI Managed Resort

BPC
Brant Point Courtyard is located in the Brant Point section of Nantucket Island, close to ocean beaches, tennis courts, a marina, and the center of town. Visitors will find fine restaurants, shopping, horseback riding and hiking trails, museums, and historic sites on this picturesque resort island. There are excellent opportunities for all water sports, from sailing to fishing to swimming and scuba diving.

LIMITED EXCHANGE ACTIVITY

Thank you so much! How were you able to see what my week is rated? Do I have to be an II member to see that?

May I ask what a "dedicated Marriott trader 2BR lock-off" is? I assume it's a Marriott resort that has a lock-off unit that can be traded/rented separately. We had one like that at the Marriott at Fords Colony in Williamsburg. Should have held onto it I guess.

How would I know what a good resort and week is to use as a trader? I know Marriott maintenance fees are not cheap so I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks again for the info.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In general, people look for strong trading power, with the lowest MF.
The Marriotts in Las Vegas, Palm Desert, Orlando (Grande Vista, Harbour Lake only), Williamsburg, and Branson are all contenders. Research what a Platinum season costs versus a Gold Season; and also consider annual vs every other year. Get the highest season for the amount you are willing to spend in upfront costs.
For Sheratons, Desert Oasis and Broadway Plantation are often mentioned.

Aselya

TUG Member
Reaction score
In general, people look for strong trading power, with the lowest MF.
The Marriotts in Las Vegas, Palm Desert, Orlando (Grande Vista, Harbour Lake only), Williamsburg, and Branson are all contenders. Research what a Platinum season costs versus a Gold Season; and also consider annual vs every other year. Get the highest season for the amount you are willing to spend in upfront costs.
For Sheratons, Desert Oasis and Broadway Plantation are often mentioned.
Which Marriott in Williamsburg has the greatest trading power? I am looking to buy timeshare near Virginia or NC, MD.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I would recommend avoiding over-built locations like Williamsburg if you want to trade into the more prime locations you mention.

The RCI TPU calculator in RCI weeks shows Brant Point as a 28 for week 40 in 2022, which is pretty decent for a studio. II doesn't make it that easy to check trade value with them, even if your resort is dual-affiliated. I much prefer RCI to II, but it depends on where you want to go and how the system values your trader.

RCI will give you a larger unit at no extra charge if you have sufficient trading power. II charges an upgrade fee. (I think it's waived for last minute exchanges.) So you may have more size options, but potentially more cost.

I just keep an II membership because one of my intervals trades only with them. I deposit the dual-affiliated ones with RCI every year.

I've traded into England, Scotland and Wales, but never tried for France or Italy. I noticed a Christmas week near Disneyland Paris available this week. Probably due to COVID. I've seen Block Island show up a few times in the off-season. I see a fair number of Newport RI weeks listed, even in the summer. Alexandria VA doesn't show up too often, but I've traded into National Harbor.

Sheila