• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI just announced extension of COVID cancellation policy to Sept 6

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because nothing changed for the better since they last announced the extension to August 16th, I do not see why they would not do it again.
Seen from RCI perspective the resorts are open and therefore customers can’t get a refund right?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At some point RCI has to decide if the good will is worth the revenue bleed. Even with their policy people bitch that rci isn't extending their deposits without charging a fee. Interval stopped their policy May 31 and have been on a case by case since. RCI has extended twice since then. I was surprised both times they did. They may again but problem is, nothing is changing and can they keep going on extending the cancellation policy indefinately?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seen from RCI perspective the resorts are open and therefore customers can’t get a refund right?
Many are also open now at the beginning of August but RCI did not want to start a fight with too many members I guess. RCI is not really losing anything, both the fee and the points have to be used by the end of the year for future reservations. I am curious how it will play out. FWIW, my bet is that they will extend (it may be wishful thinking).

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, RCI is creating a lot of goodwill by having a more compassionate cancellation policy. I just had to cancel one reservation and I told the rep that I really, really appreciated their help and that I hope they continue to have a more flexible policy going forward.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I could see RCI wanting to move things to a resort by resort or case by case determination of applying their liberalized cancelation policy. However, that seems difficult to implement administratively. They don’t have much time before we hit the 8/16 wall. I expect the can will get kicked down the road again. Nothing on COVID in the USA has gotten better since last time they did it.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
RCI is part of Wyndham Destinations and Wyndham just ran a sale for stays in the month of August, but also has the August 16 cancellation policy. WorldMark has it, too. I think they're just holding out right now until it gets a bit closer, but it seems like extending it would be the right thing for them to do.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Extended to September 6 as of today for rci.com
https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/footer/travel-cancel-information.page

Travel/Cancel Information
The vast majority of resorts in North America are now in operation and they look forward to welcoming you back on vacation. For a limited time, you may still cancel Points and Weeks reservations for travel through September 6, 2020 and receive 100% of your Points or Trading Power back for a future reservation. Cancellation flexibility may continue to be available for future dates specific to individual properties that remain closed or unavailable.
When cancelling a reservation for travel through September 6, 2020 no exchange fee will be required if you rebook your cancelled vacation by December 31, 2020 for future travel. Please contact a Vacation Guide via Phone or Chat to process your request. If you have Trading Power or Points expiring and prefer more time to plan or travel, speak to one of our Vacation Guides for additional options. If you would like to cancel and rebook call 1-800-338-7777 (RCI Weeks), 1-877-968-7476 (RCI Points)- Monday-Friday 8AM-8PM and Saturday 8AM-5PM or chat with us on RCI.com.

* Please note that hotel, rental car, cruise, and activities cancellation policies are based on the individual provider and are not included in the RCI exchange cancellation policy.
** RCI will waive your next exchange fee up to the initial amount paid on your canceled vacation, if you book by December 31, 2020 for future travel

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

does through September 6th mean any checkin date which includes September 6th Checkin or does it exclude September 6th checkin?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update.

does through September 6th mean any checkin date which includes September 6th Checkin or does it exclude September 6th checkin?
Don't know but would think it would be inclusive of Sept 6. Try chat at rci.com to double check.

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
Yes, I just cancelled a 9/5/20 - 9/12/20 and recieved all points back and an account credit for the exchange fee.

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
Thanks for the update.

Yes, I just cancelled a 9/5/20 - 9/12/20 and recieved all points back and an account credit for the exchange fee.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just cancelled a reservation for beginning of September. I used the live chat option. The lady told me the $ credit will have to be used by the end of 2020 but the points will go back to the account based on their previous maturity, they do not expire this year.

Most importantly thought, the $ credit cannot be used to book online, I still have to call or use the live chat option for that credit to be applied.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Same experience for me. Now I have two exchange fee credits to use by 12/31/2020, but have to book w/chat or by phone. Hoping that 2022 stuff starts showing up so I can use them.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same experience for me. Now I have two exchange fee credits to use by 12/31/2020, but have to book w/chat or by phone. Hoping that 2022 stuff starts showing up so I can use them.

I know that’s what they claim and that’s also part of the truth HOWEVER if you book from the weeks inventory then the system can see and use the credit you have on file. I know that’s how I have used one of my credits.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that’s what they claim and that’s also part of the truth HOWEVER if you book from the weeks inventory then the system can see and use the credit you have on file. I know that’s how I have used one of my credits.
It appears it will be occurring every week depending on air traffic and restrictions. My visit is becoming less likely as each day passes.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears it will be occurring every week depending on air traffic and restrictions. My visit is becoming less likely as each day passes.
Sorry I don’t follow?

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don’t follow?
[/QUOTE

RCI will be evaluating every week is what I mean in terms of a deadline to cancel an existing vacation and to br able to use the lounts or weeks for another property!!

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI will be evaluating every week is what I mean in terms of a deadline to cancel an existing vacation and to br able to use the lounts or weeks for another property!!

i Think the RCI policy is different when you compare Europe RCI and US RCI. Even though I’m located in EU I have a US RCI account and therefore the US rules applies to me.

According to the EU RCI policy you can cancel a vacation and get the credit and points back on a rolling 30 days basis. However the exchange credit will be good for 6 months counting from the day If cancellation. The later part is better than the US policy which states that the credit have to be used no later than 12/31. Furthermore the EU policy does not state that you will get your money back for points protection etc only that your RCI account will be credited and that is worse compared to the US Policy which issues a refund of said funds.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
i Think the RCI policy is different when you compare Europe RCI and US RCI. Even though I’m located in EU I have a US RCI account and therefore the US rules applies to me.

According to the EU RCI policy you can cancel a vacation and get the credit and points back on a rolling 30 days basis. However the exchange credit will be good for 6 months counting from the day If cancellation. The later part is better than the US policy which states that the credit have to be used no later than 12/31. Furthermore the EU policy does not state that you will get your money back for points protection etc only that your RCI account will be credited and that is worse compared to the US Policy which issues a refund of said funds.
Thank you for the info. I, too use an American account and wasnt aware of this. I had called yesterday and that's what the rep told me as I have a scheduled week in mid Sept. I'm concerned about the quarantine period as well as the current lack of air bridges so I wanted to know my options.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the travel have to occur by Dec 2020 or would I have to book another week by Dec 2020 to utilize my exchange fee?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s book by 12/31/2020, stay whenever your deposits are good through.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
after our March cancel they said June 30. I called mid June , said borders still closed, they said no problem, we’ll advance it to Sept 30, of course we aren’t travelling anywhere in Canada in the cold, so we booked Fairmont. Discovered they are gouging with added fees, Cancelled, Platinum advanced it to Dec 30. Actually the agent told us our credit vouchers will never disappear, they will stay on file forever until we use them. We have now booked Lethbridge for August. The credit vouchers were piling up, we figured to use some up this summer. Lethbridge isn’t a favourite place of ours but we are so limited in Western Canada. At the best of times there’s nothing available ever in the summer, now with the pandemic, all the few resorts we have in the first place are really scarce. Fairmont and Lethbridge had some availability mainly because these two resorts have outrageous fees but what can we do. They have us over a barrel. We are watching every day. There are several resorts in Whistler, good luck there, we did find a week two summers ago but tough now. The Okanagan / Shuswap has two or 3 places, I’ve never seen anything available there in the last 8 summers. Sometimes we will see something in Quebec, we certainly not driving across Canada. And you guys in Ontario, have you in your life ever seen something available in the Collingwood area, I don’t think so. Anyways not to worry about RCI, they are bending over backwards to help us.
start an ongoing search. I bet you will match something very quickly.

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
Obviously, the COVID credit only applies to cancellations until September.
I just ran into an issue. I have weeks and found a place in the U.S, I'm Canadian so I put it on hold for Nov 2021. I spoke to the on-line agent and she confirmed that our exchange fee of $330 CAD would not be refunded if we canceled the booking after 24 or 48 hrs (sorry, I forget the exact time). I'd be ok if they charged a small administrative fee to make the change and credit me the difference. No doubt this has been their policy all along but with so much uncertainty they should change this non-refundable exchange fee policy. If you throw in Trade Protection at $64 USD, (~83 CAD), you're looking at $413 in extra vacation costs. This is nickel and dime stuff that's turning into dollar stuff.

It's not a price I'm willing to pay. I can apply that cost to vacation and go when I'm more certain of travel conditions.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously, the COVID credit only applies to cancellations until September.
I just ran into an issue. I have weeks and found a place in the U.S, I'm Canadian so I put it on hold for Nov 2021. I spoke to the on-line agent and she confirmed that our exchange fee of $330 CAD would not be refunded if we canceled the booking after 24 or 48 hrs (sorry, I forget the exact time). I'd be ok if they charged a small administrative fee to make the change and credit me the difference. No doubt this has been their policy all along but with so much uncertainty they should change this non-refundable exchange fee policy. If you throw in Trade Protection at $64 USD, (~83 CAD), you're looking at $413 in extra vacation costs. This is nickel and dime stuff that's turning into dollar stuff.

It's not a price I'm willing to pay. I can apply that cost to vacation and go when I'm more certain of travel conditions.

you dont pay an extra $413 to confirm the exchange now. That’s of course only if you previously had an exchange which got cancelled due to COVID-19.

You only pay the points protection fee IF you decide to get it.

otherwise the fees are as they have been for quite some time.

If you confirm today you have until close of business tomorrow to cancel and get your money back. You don’t need to buy the points protection plan now. If you wait more than 30 days the fee is higher but you can add it until the day before checkin or maybe even until checkin day.