• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI just announced extension of COVID cancellation policy to Sept 6

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So with the new rules starting tomorrow or the day after. What am I getting if I purchase the protection today vs waiting until after new rules are in affect?
who knows since they aren't publishing anything until tomorrow. The word from some rci agent seems to be that you will get the same thing today paying the lower fee as you will get tomorrow (points back plus exchange fee back as coupon good for 6 months). If that is incorrect since you likely won't get that in writing you would just be getting your points back but forfeit your exchange fee if you cancel- that's the policy that comes up if you add protection currently.

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
who knows since they aren't publishing anything until tomorrow. The word from some rci agent seems to be that you will get the same thing today paying the lower fee as you will get tomorrow (points back plus exchange fee back as coupon good for 6 months). If that is incorrect since you likely won't get that in writing you would just be getting your points back but forfeit your exchange fee if you cancel- that's the policy that comes up if you add protection currently.
Confused. My husband called RCI yesterday evening spoke to an agent and explained that we had a back to back trip starting on the 18th of September to AZ and then Vegas on the 25th.. He explained that we booked the Vegas week prior to COVID, and were wanting to cancel. She told us to call on Tuesday, (as Monday is a holiday) and said they would be making some changes then. She apologized for not being more helpful, but said to just wait until Tuesday and they will look at our situation then. My husband didn't ask her about the $104 protection fee, as the policy is clearly listed on the cancellation portion of our confirmation...

Protect your Deposit Trading Power with Trading Power Protection.
With Trading Power Protection, if your confirmed RCI Exchange vacation is changed or cancelled for any reason the Deposit Trading Power used for that exchange will be fully restored.
Add Trading Power Protection for just 104.00 USD . Trading Power Protection can be purchased from 01-Jun-2020 to 18-Sep-2020.

Trading Power Protection can be purchased until the day of our check in, 18 September. The same message is on our Vegas confirmation page and can be purchased until the 25th, the day we check into Vegas. Says nothing about crediting back exchange fees. I wonder if fee was held for future vacations to those with special circumstances, for example, cancelled flights coming from Europe or Canada and/or quarantine rules they must follow.

Guess we'll wait until Tuesday.. If anyone gets a different answer, let us know!

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, you have until close of business the next day to cancel a protection purchase. If hats true, it might be worth getting it now and then deciding what you want to do on the 6th. If the announcement doesn’t come until Tuesday, can drop and rebuy.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that's true. I still had to pay the protection. I agree with you and have called a few times. Same answer!
My latest response! I received an answer today from feedback RCI. I will receive refund of protection, receive my points back to my account and a credit for my exchange fee to book a new vacation. I must complete by Dec 31, 2020 but travel can occur after that.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confused. My husband called RCI yesterday evening spoke to an agent and explained that we had a back to back trip starting on the 18th of September to AZ and then Vegas on the 25th.. He explained that we booked the Vegas week prior to COVID, and were wanting to cancel. She told us to call on Tuesday, (as Monday is a holiday) and said they would be making some changes then. She apologized for not being more helpful, but said to just wait until Tuesday and they will look at our situation then. My husband didn't ask her about the $104 protection fee, as the policy is clearly listed on the cancellation portion of our confirmation...

Protect your Deposit Trading Power with Trading Power Protection.

I received my protection fee refund.. see my post for further info.
With Trading Power Protection, if your confirmed RCI Exchange vacation is changed or cancelled for any reason the Deposit Trading Power used for that exchange will be fully restored.
Add Trading Power Protection for just 104.00 USD . Trading Power Protection can be purchased from 01-Jun-2020 to 18-Sep-2020.

Trading Power Protection can be purchased until the day of our check in, 18 September. The same message is on our Vegas confirmation page and can be purchased until the 25th, the day we check into Vegas. Says nothing about crediting back exchange fees. I wonder if fee was held for future vacations to those with special circumstances, for example, cancelled flights coming from Europe or Canada and/or quarantine rules they must follow.

Guess we'll wait until Tuesday.. If anyone gets a different answer, let us know!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received my protection fee refund. See post for further details.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Received my protection fee refund. See post for further details.
Do you belong to RCI North America or another RCI? Where do they have listed as living (which country) and where were you exchanging to? It sounds like you were offered an exception based on circumstances vs a cancellation based on specific policies that may not apply to someone exchanging within their home country through RCI North America.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you belong to RCI North America or another RCI? Where do they have listed as living (which country) and where were you exchanging to? It sounds like you were offered an exception based on circumstances vs a cancellation based on specific policies that may not apply to someone exchanging within their home country through RCI North America.
North America ..I kept it as I have a USA address as well. Yes you may be right
I was given an exception possibly as I cant fly into USA during my time to Vermont.

If I had been in Massachusetts already and chose to cancel it may have been a different outcome as theres no quarantine from Mass to Vt. So the resort is open. I imagine each case is reviewed .

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
As per 07.30.2020 RCI updated their European cancellation policy.

European customers can cancel their exchange vacation until marts 2021 if one of the following applies to their vacation.
1. The resort is closed
2. Restrictions so you can’t travel to your choice of destination
3. You or one from your travel party have a health condition which increases the risks of COVID-19 Health problems.
4.local restrictions So you can’t enjoy your vacation as planned.

the points will be credited back to your account and you will get a exchange credit too.

I wonder why RCI would have two so very different cancellation policies in place with the rumored US policy and the European policy.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I just made an exchange for mid October yesterday and would have bought insurance if it was clear this is the case. It looks like to me the price to add on insurance (regular old for all I can tell) has stayed at $64.00 USD. Isn’t that what it has been?

So with the new rules starting tomorrow or the day after. What am I getting if I purchase the protection today vs waiting until after new rules are in affect?

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Here it is... RCI posted tonight:

Travel/Cancel Information
The vast majority of resorts in North America are now in operation and they look forward to welcoming you back on vacation. There are great vacation destinations waiting for you! If your plans change or you are unable to travel we have options for you.

Exchanges booked prior to September 7, 2020
  • If your plans change or you need to cancel a reservation booked prior to September 7, 2020, the Trading Power will be returned to you without penalty to book another reservation if cancelled by December 31, 2020.
  • For a limited time, RCI is pleased to offer enhanced Trading Power that now covers your exchange fee should you need to cancel. Purchase the enhanced protection before December 31, 2020, and if you are unable to travel, you’ll receive an exchange fee coupon for a future exchange valid for rebooking through March 31, 2021**. Protection always covers your Trading Power when purchased.
  • If you already purchased Trading Power or are adding it for your previously confirmed reservation, you’re covered if unable to travel by March 31, 2021**
Exchanges booked on or after September 7, 2020
  • If your plans change or you need to cancel a new reservation, the standard RCI cancellation policy would apply if you don’t have Trading Power Protection for that booking.
  • For a limited time, you may purchase the enhanced Trading Power before December 31, 2020, and if you are unable to travel, you’ll receive an exchange fee coupon for a future exchange valid for rebooking through March 31, 2021** if you need to cancel. Protection always covers your Trading Power when purchased.
If individual resorts remain closed or are otherwise unavailable for travel, additional cancellation flexibility may continue to be available.

If you have Trading Power expiring and prefer more time to plan or travel, speak to one of our Travel Guides for additional options.

For additional information or to book your next vacation call 1-800-338-7777 (RCI Weeks) - Monday-Friday 8AM-8PM and Saturday 8AM-5PM or chat with us on RCI.com

* Please note that hotel, rental car, resort rental, cruise, and activities cancellation policies are based on the individual provider and are not included in the RCI exchange cancellation policy ** RCI will waive your next exchange fee up to the initial amount paid on your canceled vacation if you have Trading Power for that reservation. Exchange fee coupon valid for rebooking through March 31, 2021 for future travel up to the expiration of the Trading Power used for that transaction