• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI is keeping the $ 149.00 EXCHANGE fee

gidat1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Due to Wilma the resort I was going to on November 6th is out of order. RCI told me that they put my week in the bank, but will keep the $ 149.00 exchange fee for theit troubles.

They insisted that I should have bought the insurance when I requested the exchange. I thought that the insurance is for my mistakes or my unforseen circumstances. Like getting sick or in a car accident or missing a flight etc... not when the resort is telling me that they could not accomodate me.

I am little perplxed. I think REsorts insurance company should pay those fees or the RCI should eat them. Any suggestions.

I am posting this in Florida also. [ Edited to note that the other thread has been moved to the Exchanging forum. Dave M, BBS Administrator]

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

wise one

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me last year when the Georgian Resort in Ormond Beach got hit by hurricanes. I had a resrevation for spring break 2005. I had made the reservations AFTER the hurricanes. Apparently, the resort's HOC decided to do some refurbishing as well as cleaning up the stom's damage. I got the letter from RCI as and early Christmas present, about Dec 20th.

I also feel that the trade fee should have been part of the cost of the resort's refurbishing, but I ended up paying for another trade.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think all of us will be rethinking RCI and II insurance in the future when going to resorts in the Hurricane Zone. Can you purchase travel insurance for resorts that you own and use?

cycart

TUG Member
Reaction score
For airfares, I believe Discover has an automatic trip insurance if you use it to purchase your flights.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
riverdees05 said:
I think all of us will be rethinking RCI and II insurance in the future when going to resorts in the Hurricane Zone. Can you purchase travel insurance for resorts that you own and use?

I looked for one last year for my home resort. I didn't find one - so if you do please let me know.

but I got lucky my resort, Landmark is paying me back (through their insurance provider) for the 2004 reservation they had to cancel.

gidat1

TUG Member
Reaction score
do clarify...

spiceycat said:
I looked for one last year for my home resort. I didn't find one - so if you do please let me know.

but I got lucky my resort, Landmark is paying me back (through their insurance provider) for the 2004 reservation they had to cancel.

Spicycat:

You mean to say you filed your $ 149.00 RCI exchange fee with the resort you were going to ? Did their insurtance company reimbursed you ?

I am bit confused.

Phil

Ps Thanks for the input... waiting for Marge to reply... :confused:

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazing

Let me get this straight. We pay RCI $149 for a "trade fee". A hurricane hits and the trade does not go through, the resort is unopen and unable to honor the trade. We still pay the fee?

Madge, that is just wrong. Insurance should for MY illness, MY transportation problems, not the resort's. RCI should apply that money towards a new exchange that they can follow through on.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In my capacity as a BBS administrator....

I have deleted multiple messages from this thread. Please respect that this forum is only for posing questions to RCI. Discussions about RCI belong on the Exchanging forum.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like my question to Madge somehow got deleted, so I will repost it.

Are non-members who rented timeshare weeks from RCI in resorts closed due to hurricanes refunded their rental fees? If so, why is the same policy not applied to dues paying RCI members who exchange into such resorts?

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
gidat1,

RCI does not refund exchange fees for events that are outside of its control, such as natural disasters. In the past, when we have experimented with refunding even a portion of the exchange fee in natural disaster situations, the fiscal results to us as a company were disastrous.

However, we also recognize that these events are outside of our members' control. For just this reason, we pursued a partnership with BerkelyCare to provide our members with a way to protect themselves financially. This protection includes some RCI-related benefits as well as other travel-related benefits. Unless the travel dates are less than 30 days away, every single member is presented with the opportunity to purchase the protection with their exchange confirmation.

The suggestion has been made in past years that we could increase our exchange fee and attach vacation protection to every confirmation. However, that just doesn't seem fair to members who are willing to roll the dice during non-hurricane seasons. So, we continue to offer it on a per-trip basis. We do hope to have an annual product available through BerkelyCare again in the future; however, I do not have a timeline on that at this point.

I responded to this issue earlier here as well.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian,

Our standard cancellation policy applies to Extra Vacations as well as one-for-one exchanges - it is not modified for natural disaster situations. It is, however, different for Extra Vacations than it is for one-for-one exchanges. Following shows the standard Extra Vacation cancellation guides:

61 days or more in advance - 70% refund
60-15 days in advance - 50% refund
14 days or less in advance - no refund

For travelers who booked with an outside vendor partner, such as AFVClub or Sky Auction, the cancellation policy is decided by the individual partner.