• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI fees increasing 11/1

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get it that the travel industry is having a hard time right now, but I don't think members are rolling in dough either. Yeah, it's only $10 more, but people are going to start rethinking the value of memberships. They have budgets, too.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Bad timing RCI!!! Many people are struggling right now. Couldn't you at least wait till we get over this pandemic?

Exactly! As well they are going to cash in on all the vacations people have had to reschedule from this year. We have a credit for our exchange fees until Dec.31st so if people don't get their exchanges done by Nov.1st, I'm pretty sure RCI will want the difference in price. Definitely not great timing!

~Diane

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If only my income increased as fast as RCI and II fees

We dropped our personal RCI account several years ago. We only had one week associated with RCI and we have never exchanged, nor do we ever intend to exchange that resort, so it was a very easy decision. We still have a corporate account through our HGVC ownership. We only made one exchange thru RCI. Because it was expensive and because it’s difficult for us to get like for like quality in our opinion (for places we would travel not covered by HGVC), we’ve never completed, or intend to ever complete, another exchange thru them.

It’s become the same story with II. We’re down to one resort in our personal II account, and once again it’s difficult to get a fare like for like exchange based on quality and MF expense in our opinion. Rising fees and increasing difficulty to get anything we want will chase us away from keeping the personal II account. My intention is to not renew our II account when it comes due next year. I had intended to non-renew this year, but a job change and the need to deposit/exchange one week required we stay one more year. The fees II charges for membership plus the exchange fees plus my MF’s make it a poor value to us. Once again we still own weeks with a corporate account, so we won’t be complete shed of either exchange company, but we don’t have plans to use either at the moment outside of internal weeks exchanges between MVC and SVN, at least until Marriott fully integrates Starwood into their internal points reservations program, if that ever happens (I’m not holding my breath).

I suppose if we had multiple weeks outside internal exchange programs we’d still be interested in either RCI or II. However, this last decade has shown how resorts have merged, combined and developed internal trade systems designed to attract new members and lock out exchanges into the systems, making it more difficult to buy cheap and exchange into more expensive resorts, thus encouraging people to buy into the resort systems that fit their budgets and travel needs. A smart business model IMHO as it keeps the money with the managing company and encourages additional sales of those who have already bought into that system.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
This is my 3rd year of timesharing, and the first time experiencing RCI exchange fee increases. Like everyone else, I don’t like increases. That said, I am glad they aren’t going up for non-weeks exchanges using points.

I am a little surprised RCI doesn’t increase points and weeks exchange fees at about the same percentage at the same time.

One question off the beaten path. Will this increase have any impact on the $159 RCI weeks internal exchange rate for Vacation Village properties?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This is my 3rd year of timesharing, and the first time experiencing RCI exchange fee increases. Like everyone else, I don’t like increases. That said, I am glad they aren’t going up for non-weeks exchanges using points.

I am a little surprised RCI doesn’t increase points and weeks exchange fees at about the same percentage at the same time.

One question off the beaten path. Will this increase have any impact on the $159 RCI weeks internal exchange rate for Vacation Village properties?
It will probably go up to $169. 2 out of the 3 times I've seen weeks exchange increases the VV affiliates went up the same amount as the increase.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Weird thing is I am looking at a June 2021 exchange today and it is still showing the exchange fee as $239 (no increase) but a VV affiliate exchange has gone up ($10) to $169.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
This is ......
Weird thing is I am looking at a June 2021 exchange today and it is still showing the exchange fee as $239 (no increase) but a VV affiliate exchange has gone up ($10) to $169.

, and the first time experiencing RCI exchange fee increases.

Just a thought -
As a week RCI member I currently see promo exchange rate pricing for
1) Las Vegas - $179 / book by Nov.30 - travel by March 28 2021
2) Weston & Orlando VV properties - $ 199 / travel by March 28 2021

I am wondering if the increase is actually designed to allow more promos - especially right now when there is lots of unit capacity.

- and if / when usage returns to pre Covid levels - then RCI’s yield will gradually rise towards the new rate.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I was looking at some exchanges on Sunday, and it was giving me a $249 exchange fee. The VV internal exchanges went up by $10 as well.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Pretty bad to raise fees during Covid. I put my exchanges in before price increase.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I get it that the travel industry is having a hard time right now, but I don't think members are rolling in dough either. Yeah, it's only $10 more, but people are going to start rethinking the value of memberships. They have budgets, too.

You are right. Bad timing. The problem here I see is RCI has you kind of over a barrel. If you have points/weeks saved, you either pay whatever they want to charge or stop placing your weeks in RCI. For some properties this is very hard because you are a Points based Contract. They might be thinking they WERE showing kindness by ONLY popping up the fees 10 bux. They could have popped it up 50 or more.

You know, I haven’t owned any timeshares since 2017 and these guys still email me for exchanges, fees, and changes to benefits. I just got another one 2 weeks ago. I’m sorry, I’m just not a fan of theirs.

Sigh, rent 1 — own 0 on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garyk01

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont Hot Springs Resort Mountainside , Fairmont BC Canada, Indian Palms Intervals , Indio CA
Exchange fee increasing from $239 to $249 for weeks exchanges
https://www.rci.com/post-wow-en_US/help/forms-and-fees/membership-fees-us.page#weeksusfees

There is something listed for online self enrollment fees for 1-5 years that is separate from membership subscription fees. I wonder what that is.
Being in a digital world, travel down and working from home , the owners are getting greedy. That is why i used other exchange companies like SFX and RTX, superior rates and resorts although less choice.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
RTX? I think you have to own a resort in that system, right?

SFX has been a bad fit for me. I am going to lose deposits, and it's entirely their fault. I put in requests and never hear from anyone, and when I call, they say my weeks are not high season. Baloney. I don't even travel during prime season very often. We are retired.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
They just keep raising prices yet offer less and less for options in my opinion. Pretty poor timing with the need for many folks to exchange by Dec 31, those vacays they cancelled due to Covid.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that they have postponed the $10 increase. I just made a reservation and did not see an increase.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It appears that they have postponed the $10 increase. I just made a reservation and did not see an increase.
I thought the same thing but I then realized that if you had an ongoing search with the points you use it charged the old fee, even if you confirmed something different but other deposits/points are charged the new fee. At least that is the way it looked in my account.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did’t they just raise fees a couple of years ago?
I don't remember specifically but when I joined RCI in the late 80s I think the exchange fee was something like $49 or $59. I may be off some with this but it was clearly a lot less than $249...

George

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
I saw that as well and did some looking,, not much to find that was not low grade it seems.. I think that promotion stopped the first of nov not the end cause when i was looking at some vegas stuff the other day i was shown the 239 or so exchange fee.

now it seem the vegas selection is better.

Just a thought -
As a week RCI member I currently see promo exchange rate pricing for
1) Las Vegas - $179 / book by Nov.30 - travel by March 28 2021
2) Weston & Orlando VV properties - $ 199 / travel by March 28 2021

I am wondering if the increase is actually designed to allow more promos - especially right now when there is lots of unit capacity.

- and if / when usage returns to pre Covid levels - then RCI’s yield will gradually rise towards the new rate.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 47 ongoing searches I have on my points account may save me some money then?

I thought the same thing but I then realized that if you had an ongoing search with the points you use it charged the old fee, even if you confirmed something different but other deposits/points are charged the new fee. At least that is the way it looked in my account.

Alec Tarberry

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attitash Mountain Village, Eastern Slope Inn
Not a fan of how high the RCI fees are, but it's worth noting that this increase works out to a 4.2% increase -- and is the first increase since 2016. If you factor for inflation, technically the fee has decreased since 2016 (but should still be lower!)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 47 ongoing searches I have on my points account may save me some money then?
maybe. Points searches aren't specifically tied to a specific deposit the way it is with a weeks account. What I am seeing in my weeks account is the deposits that had searches connected to them still show $239 and the deposits with no ongoing searches show $249 when confirming. I can't tell what will happen on the points side if ongoing searches match.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since I currently have a match on hold with my RCI Points account, I just checked. It is going to charge me $249 to confirm.

maybe. Points searches aren't specifically tied to a specific deposit the way it is with a weeks account. What I am seeing in my weeks account is the deposits that had searches connected to them still show $239 and the deposits with no ongoing searches show $249 when confirming. I can't tell what will happen on the points side if ongoing searches match.

Coach Boon

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
RCI fees are a consideration. In Canada our registration fee for 1 year is good - $126.00 CAD. Keep in mind we don't have much in the way of timeshares in Canada to use. So travel, and it can be a quite far, both a time and cost consideration. Add in $365 for exchange fee and we're just under $500. Add in your maintenance fees, USD @ 1.30 exchange and your now in the $1400 CAD sphere. For me, that's a lower end all-inclusive with airfare thrown in. No commitments to maintenance fees etc... I can also take that money and use it for exchanges on Redweek etc...

We've deposited 2 years so we have to continue to pay the fee. However, we sent our unit back to the resort to rent out for us as a test and in that year we may just not pay the RCI fee. And then we'll look at not having a timeshare. There are just so many options available today.