• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Exchanges

vleasher

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to timeshare ownership and still trying to convince myself I made a good decision. The unit I purchased is in Daytona and isn't very convenient to visit so I'm a member of RCI Points and intend using the exchanges. My question is i'm looking for something around the 2nd week of Aug in Myrtle. Am I too early or too late to be looking? I may be being too particular but I don't see anything that interests me. Did I miss the boat or need to continue to keep my eye open. I have been checking the site fairly regularly using the saved search options and im wearing myself out. Just wondering if I should stay optimistic or jump on anything I can find?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
generally with exchanging, you have 2 options:

1) plan way ahead - with RCI, sometimes 2 years ahead - and request the trade you want early.

this is especially important if you are traveling during busy season (when the kids are out of school - summer & holidays).

2) wait till the last minute (less than 2 months out) and see if anything is available.

if you are not very flexible and only 1 week in august will work for you, this could be difficult also.

in general, lots of summer beach weeks are rented and not deposited for trades, so they can be tough to get, as you are finding out.

timesharing can work out well, but if you are limited by the school calendar, you definitely will need to plan ahead IMO.

vleasher

Reaction score
Extra Vacations??

What is really frustrating there are many more options as Extra Vacations! Why can't they be available for exchange???

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is really frustrating there are many more options as Extra Vacations! Why can't they be available for exchange???

as i understand it on the II side, most of those, if not all, are weeks offered by the resorts and not individual exchangers. so if the resort owns the week and is just using II to broker a rental, then II doesn't have the option to offer it for trade rather than trying to get a cash rental for the owner of the week (the resort).

but with RCI, yeah, the suspicions are that they pull exchanges for rentals.

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score

Most things i've found are available BOTH for exchange AND as an extra vacation, then its just a matter of calculating if its cheaper to go through Extra Vacations/last calls or through Exchange...Are you sure you're selecting 'all available vacations' when you're searching exchanges?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You may need to rent in Myrtle Beach for August. I haven't seen anything at the really nice MB resorts in RCI and II lately.

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
You just have to keep an eye out...I was able to book an August Myrtle Beach week via RCI points a week ago. It took me a little over 2 weeks of periodic checking to find what I wanted available. Perhaps you might want to consider joining TUG so that you can place a sightings request.

vleasher

Reaction score
When I select the Search for exchange Vacation tab I am given three options "Weekly and Nightly Exchange Vacations" "Extra Vacations" and "last call" I'm not seeing some of the "extra Vacations" resorts when I select the first option. And the Extra Vacation cost $ not exchange.

With a family and my wife and I working its challenging to be a flexible as we probably need to be to take full advantage of the situation.

Last edited: