• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Exchange Plus

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look for the key icon next to available inventory
How does RCI Exchange Plus work
How long has this been around ?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's hotel sourced inventory. Usually 3 nights or 5 nights. The exchange fee is $399 or $599. There can be daily resort fees as well. First noticed their appearance in June 2021.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is a thread that talks about it;

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The program definitely blurs the difference between renting and exchanging. While there are many things about the program that cause some concern, in my view it has helped RCI manage inventory at a time when pent up demand was putting a lot of pressure on inventory.

If anyone is thinking about doing an exchange plus transaction, I would recommend seeing if the same inventory is available as an extra vacation (rental) and price it both ways.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI now has some exchange plus that require a $999 exchange plus fee in addition to the points needed.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
RCI now has some exchange plus that require a $999 exchange plus fee in addition to the points needed.
Sounds like they should have called it "Exchange plus plus plus!"

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
These must be some great resorts and destinations?

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
What is really disappointing is all these exchange plus show up when you are searching for exchanges. It makes it look like inventory when really it is a hotel booking site. I have looked at a few of these and the value proposition is poor. In most cases you are better off booking a hotel

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Or just "rip-off"

In truth, they have found a way to take a hotel "extra" vacation, have it show up in everyone's exchange search results, and then not have to pay sales tax on the transaction since it is an "exchange."

#NewShapeofTravel
#Reshaping Travel

Last edited:

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find the insertion of the exchange plus listings into my searches to be extremely annoying. I have ZERO interest in booking any of those units. I can eliminate most of them from showing up by checking the box to define unit size - but it is an extra step that I have to take and some of them still wiggle through. Plus there are times when I might consider renting a studio unit so I still have to wade through the x+ dreck.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was going to give examples but there are so many.

There are 399, 599, 799 and 999

The $399 ones generally require 9 tpus or 30,000 rci points
The $599 ones generally require 12 tpus or 40,000
The $799 and the $999 ones generally require 14 tpus or 50,000

As a platinum member who saves 10% of extra vacations but not exchanges the cost of the exchange plus, the costs are almost identical

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at one of these for fun. It was Residence Inn and it came out to about $1,100 for 3 nights, or $366 a night using points and the $599 fee. The hotel website charges about $300 a night + tax.

If taxes are included, it's probably pretty close, but you'd still likely still be paying more to book through RCI.

Now, some people may have a bunch of RCI points and no way to use them. They would be paying about $200 a night. Thus, if you have points to burn, there may be cases where this is useful.

There may be some other deals out there if you hunt enough. Not likely, though.

In the end, like most timeshare things, it is not a good strategy to use timeshare points for anything but exchanging into timeshares.

However, I'm sure it sounds good in a sales pitch.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is really disappointing is all these exchange plus show up when you are searching for exchanges.

In the typical maner of RCI website execution, they give you the option to select “exchange vacations only” to filter search results. And that does not one darn thing to remove the “exchange plus” results from the search.

On the other hand if you select “exchange plus only” it executes perfectly in showing only the exchange plus results.

As has been said before, the ones managing and overseeing their website must not ever use it.
4D68E621-0A40-4010-B5C8-D94BDAB81589.jpeg

#NewShapeofTravel
#Reshaping4D68E621-0A40-4010-B5C8-D94BDAB81589.jpeg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
As has been said before, the ones managing and overseeing their website must not ever use it.
The ones designing the website knew exactly what they were doing...

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The ones designing the website knew exactly what they were doing...

A cynical person (self included) could think that on this. But I promise you whoever is in charge of executing the website doesn’t use it to book timeshares.

There is no other explanation for the website having calendars that still pop up in Chinese every once in a while, that makes “favorites” very hard to find and require a senseless number of clicks to navigate, and cannot work out the bugs to list OGSs in a readable manner without modifying a request and refreshing the page a couple of times.

And if they don’t want to give you an option to see “exchanges only” they could just not give you the option rather than give you a sort tool that doesn’t work.

Last edited:

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
About that calendar in Chinese. I don't know if you use a VPN but I do. I've noticed that if my VPN connects to a non-US security server I get other languages for dynamic content, like the pop-up calendar, on the pages I'm viewing. So that Chinese may not be RCI's fault.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is not a VPN-related issue for me. A year or two it used to happen at least a couple of times a day while using the site and was fairly widespread. It is much less pronounced and has only happened to me once in about the past month. But my point is it took months and months for them to make any improvement and they still haven't 100% resolved it.

They clearly have people that go for "aesthetically pleasing and big pictures" and manage to do pretty good on that. But they do not appear to have much of a clue when it comes to funtionality and user experience. I get a big part of it is marketing. But show me you are doing your core function of time share exchanging well before I am going to start using you all the time to book flights, hotels, cruises, etc.

About that calendar in Chinese. I don't know if you use a VPN but I do. I've noticed that if my VPN connects to a non-US security server I get other languages for dynamic content, like the pop-up calendar, on the pages I'm viewing. So that Chinese may not be RCI's fault.

elliselectric

Reaction score
RCI putting these under exchange plus is fraud, no members own at any of these locations and pay any maintenance fee

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI putting these under exchange plus is fraud, no members own at any of these locations and pay any maintenance fee

They are an option. No one has to book one. I would have no complaints if they were not a pain to sort through. I might even book one every once in a while if it were not for the outrageously high exchange fee.