• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Exchange - New inventory last minute?

eduam99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a possible FL exchange for the week between Christmas and New Years. Yesterday I was able to hold a 2BD unit at Ocean East Resort in Ormond Beach. I thought this was a lucky find this late in the game, as there doesn't seem to be much inventory for all of Florida after the week of the 18th.

This morning I found a 2BD at Fantasy Island II in Daytona Beach Shores but I missed my chance -- the unit was gone when I tried to place a hold. Too bad, as it looks much newer and more nicely appointed than my current hold.

A question for you seasoned RCIers: With less than 3 weeks to go is there still new inventory being added, or do I count myself lucky and confirm my current hold? I've never exchanged this close to check in.

Thanks!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you are seeing is late cancellations from people who changed plans and/or couldn't line up the rest of their family to go. There could be more of them; depends on how lucky you are feeling, and how much you want to stalk the site.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Check and see I put a hold or tried on a place then it said was no longer available I checked my account and they put it on hold but didn't tell me until I looked at my holds, glitches in thier system. Also when someone releases a hold it may take a day or so to show up again!
Silentg

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Yes it really is a gamble, especially during holiday weeks. We have stayed at Ocean East twice (once in a studio, once in a 2 bedroom) and enjoyed our stay there. Quite a few restaurants to walk to -even one right in the parking lot!

From past experience I've learned that once you have confirmed your hold -don't look anymore! If something a lot nicer happens to come up you'll just be bummed -be happy with what you have. :D

Enjoy your trip!

~Diane

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Platinum Benefits allow you to exchange resorts

Although there is an extra annual fee, you might want to consider becoming a Platinum member. They now have a new feature that allows you to change resorts if a better, larger, or more desirable one comes along without having to pay any additional fees. I just exchanged a reservation I had with The Islander in Ormond Beach for the Resort at Cocoa Beach which just deposited several units. I had to pay a few extra points because it was an upgrade but that was all. And I don't have Points Protection. The exchanged units have to be in the same region.

My experience has been that there are always cancellations because most people book so far in advance that they can't predict life events 2 years in advance. Although one RCI vacation counsellor advised me that no one cancels if it's less than 2 weeks to check-in because at that point they aren't entitled to any refund. I still like to hope that members advise RCI if they are going to be a no-show so that someone can book it at the last minute and enjoy their resort stay rather than the unit sitting empty.

eduam99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thanks to all who replied. I booked the unit, and as it happens I actually did upgrade to Platinum just last month for the first time. I put in the upgrade request and will wait and see. In the meantime, not much in the way of new inventory so phew!:D