• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI exchange match to Bailey's Harbor Resort in Door County for late August

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was hoping to get Little Sweden but added a few other resorts to my request. Is there a lot to do in late August at Bailey's Harbor?

I would like to go somewhere late August and decided to try for Door County. I have had this OGS in place for at least 6 months. I assume this is a very tough area to get, even if it's after school is in session. Trying to decide whether to confirm or not.

How hot and humid is it going to be at that time of year? We are from dry Denver, and our heat is dry.

If this match came through on II, I would confirm and add retrade to it to give me time to think about it, but with RCI, I feel like I might be stuck with something we won't really want, if I happen to decide on another type of vacation. I am very indecisive since II added retrade as an option. It's almost a bad thing.

okw1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The weather is wonderful in the summer in Door County. Unless it is a fluke you might need a sweatshirt in the evening. The peninsula is very small and easy to get around. Baileys Harbor used to be the "quiet side" but even though it isn't hussle bussle it is very popular. If it is at Baileys Harbor Yacht Club you will be on Lake Michigan. Join a couple of FB pages on DC. You are lucky you got a trade.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Door County isn't that big and from Bailey's Harbor to the west side is about 10 miles. There are things to do in the Bailey's Harbor area but you will likely want to spend some time on the other side, too. The worst of summer weather should be done by then and being by the lake you will definitely have cooler weather than elsewhere in Wisconsin. WI kids go back to school after Labor Day. It's hard to predict the weather but I think you have a good week to go.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at little Sweden and have stayed in baileys harbor also. Very doubtful you will have hot and humid weather there. Also, you will be on Lake Michigan if you are at the Bailey harbor resort. Or did you get the Arushes.
I was just thinking about little Sweden, not sure we will go our week this year.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this match came through on II, I would confirm and add retrade to it to give me time to think about it, but with RCI, I feel like I might be stuck with something we won't really want, if I happen to decide on another type of vacation. I am very indecisive since II added retrade as an option. It's almost a bad thing.
I know what you mean, and agree. The only thing you can do with RCI is add Enhanced Trade Power Protection, which in the first 30 days is $89 last I checked, and will give you back TPU's and a coupon for exchange fee. After 30 days it's $129. At the moment you probably would have until Nov 30 to use your coupon and confirm another trade, so if it's for this summer you'd be good right up until the original exchange. So not that much more than ePlus, except you can only do it 1x without paying for it again.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It's The Rushes, resort code 5082. I wonder what restrictions are in place due to Covid?

I am so unsure about this particular match because I have really become so used to the flexibility of retrades.

I have ongoing requests for the Big Island in late June, and I would take that without even thinking about it. If we get that, then this vacation won't be a go.

We may just pay for point protection and hope for the best on this one.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's The Rushes, resort code 5082. I wonder what restrictions are in place due to Covid?

I am so unsure about this particular match because I have really become so used the flexibility of retrades.

I have ongoing requests for the Big Island in late June, and I would take that without even thinking about it. If we get that, then this vacation won't be a go.

We may just pay for point protection and hope for the best on this one.
I love the rushes. Do you have a Friday or Saturday check in. The units are large, it is wooded, they have a large lake and lots of lake toys. They hav3 a conservation area with lots of walking trails. and so much to see in door county

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am definitely going to take the week. We can drive and stop to see relatives on the way, which would be a lot of fun for us. My uncle lives in Omaha, and we have family in Iowa, too. I love a driving trip. Even if we get the Big Island exchange, Rick would like a drive. Flying and getting a rental car is just too crazy right now.

@rapmarks, it's a Friday check-in. Looking forward to this trip.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Friday check ins are in the woods. Saturday check ins are nearer the lake. A nice staff and nice activities, although we haven't been back in three or four years.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy, as someone else said the peninsula is small enough to get around the whole thing. As a first timer, I would plan each day for a different town and plan it out thoroughly so you aren’t backtracking. Basically an oversimplification is that there are two roads, one on each side of the peninsula, that meet in the middle at the top and the bottom. You will be on the east side. So plan one day by where you are staying in Baileys Harbor, then do Washington Island one day, Sister Bay the next, Egg Harbor, Fish creek, Ephraim, Ellison Bay and Jacksonport If you have time. Feel free to pm me if you want some ideas, I go there every year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy, as someone else said the peninsula is small enough to get around the whole thing. As a first timer, I would plan each day for a different town and plan it out thoroughly so you aren’t backtracking. Basically an oversimplification is that there are two roads, one on each side of the peninsula, that meet in the middle at the top and the bottom. You will be on the east side. So plan one day by where you are staying in Baileys Harbor, then do Washington Island one day, Sister Bay the next, Egg Harbor, Fish creek, Ephraim, Ellison Bay and Jacksonport If you have time. Feel free to pm me if you want some ideas, I go there every year.
As we get closer, absolutely, I would love to know what places we should absolutely visit. I will return to this thread and look at ideas.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
As we get closer, absolutely, I would love to know what places we should absolutely visit. I will return to this thread and look at ideas.
Ok. One day go on guided tour of the Ridges Sanctuary, go to corner tap for lunch and then take a ride around moonlight bay and perhaps to the Cana point lighthouse
look at map and learn which backroads get you to towns.
go to sister bay, eat at Al Johnson’s, go to the shops and visit Ephraim shops too And get ice cream at Wilson’s
go to peninsula state park and ride all the roads and see lighthouse And ride along the green bay shoreline, stopping at orchards, wineries, galleries etc.
take a ride to Ellison Bay. Go to the clearing. A guided hike is available on Sunday but be sure to go in buildings and walk around. Jens Jensen folk school Open on sundays. There are two countynparks that way, out on bluffs. Then ride all the way to deaths Door, on the crooked road. Stop at Beas pie place, and go in the building at the ferry terminal if time see Newport state park
if you go to Washington island leave early in day, take the ferry, and visit all the sights.
spend a day in fish creek and and eat at white gull inn. And maybe a fish boil in the evening. Visit egg harbor, old English inn has nice fish fry on Friday we like to ride and look at The Alpine, where my husband vacationed in the fifties and it hasn’t changed.
go toward Jacksonport and take Clark lake road to cave point county park and whitefish bay state park. Then if you are adventurous, take Glidden road and eat at the glidden lodge.
Of course, stop and see the lighthouses.
enjoy the Rushes, walk their trails, use the boats on Kangaroo Lake, enjoy their wine and cheese get together
just some of the things we do when we are there

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am bringing this post up for the person that just asked about little Sweden and door county

okw1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going to Sister Bay for 30 years and recently purchased a condo there. Just got home from 10 days in Door County. You are going to have a great time. Pack in layers for all weather. We had mid 80's this past week. It also could have been 60's you just never know. In August we have had 90's.

Lots of hiking, nature and water activities. Many lighthouses to visit. We enjoy walking through the sculpture garden at Edgewood Gallery. There is also great live music most is free. Also live theater in the Door County Auditorium and outside at a couple of other places.

There are many good restaurants and everyone has a different opinion. DC is usually staffed by foreign workers that have not been able to come this year so check to make sure the restaurant is open and realize service might not be what we have been used to. You are based a little south for fine dining go south (must have reservations) to Donny's Glidden Lodge for fine dining. There are other fine dining spots but we tend to be more casual. Some of our favorites close to you are Peninsula Pub, Coyote Roadhouse, Casey's BBQ. A little up the peninsula we love Julie's for breakfast or lunch, Sister Bay Bowl (Sunday night for chicken and ribs), JJ's has something for everyone. Those are our don't miss. Many wineries and a few fun breweries.

There are only two small grocery stores north of Sturgeon Bay so plan accordingly.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Edgewood Gallery is wonderful
cherry stuffed French toast at white gull inn

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you there now Cindy?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you there now Cindy?
No, we leave this coming Wednesday for our drive to Door County and our stay at The Rushes. We are very excited to do something totally different.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That french toast sounds good. I love french toast.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After working full-time on our townhouse to get it ready for sale, we are especially wanting a relaxing trip, and this one will be it for us.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there any live theater in Door County, WI? Dinner shows? We do not do that much at home in Denver, but on vacations, we love doing it. I love Branson for the shows and am kind of missing that kind of trip.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is peninsula players theater but it is never up and going when we are there. Not too much nightlife. Al Johnson beer garden closed at eight.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am definitely going to visit Door County Coffee because I buy coffee from there and have it shipped to my house. I love flavored coffee, and the German Chocolate Cake is my favorite. I love the chocolate/ coconut flavor in that coffee. I am drinking some now.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
We have been up to Door County twice this summer already and planning a third trip in the next week or two. Best source of local happenings…..https://doorcountypulse.com/

Currently, there are three three productions being performed….Naked Radio, Whatever Happened to Karl Janko, and Romance in D. All should be in Fish Creek.

We just spent an afternoon at the Ridges Sanctuary in Bailey’s Harbor; there might be a historian at the light house to give you a history tour, or you can read the story boards located inside. The hike through the woods and swales is nice.

If you are into ferry rides, you can take two separate rides up to the Rock Island Lighthouse. It is definitely a hike, though, because no vehicles are allowed on the island. We spent a night in the lighthouse one year when friends were docents for a week. If you are adventurous ,stop at Nelsen’s Hall tavern on Washington Island, and become a member of the Bitters Club. lol.

Sister Bay has the best night time music vibe, since there are a few outdoor venues for drinks and meals. Garage at Husbys has bands most nights, and Stabbur Beer Garden is a must for the Scandinavian feel.

Egg Harbor also has an outdoor beer garden - One Barrel Brewing, that we stop by every time we go. They often will have music on the weekends.