• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI exchange fee coupon expiration date

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I know that if you cancel now and have points protection the coupon for the exchange amount expires 3/31/2021.

Does anyone know if the previous coupon which was set to expire on 12/31/2020 has been extended to 3/31/2021 or if it still is set to expire on 12/31/2020?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I chatted with an RCI(Weeks) rep today. He told me my coupon toward an exchange from an earlier COVID-19 cancelation must still be used by the 12/31 deadline I was given when making the cancelation.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I chatted with an RCI(Weeks) rep today. He told me my coupon toward an exchange from an earlier COVID-19 cancelation must still be used by the 12/31 deadline I was given when making the cancelation.
Thanks. I still have about $580 in coupons.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
There was a time I was at close to $700 (weeks and points accounts combined). I am down to a $159 VV internal exchange on my weeks account at this time. Man, it could get complicated and time consuming them keeping the balances straight back in late spring, early summer. I learned to do everything in chat and have them verify my coupon balances at the end of each conversation to make sure I was able to pick up at the same place next time.

Thanks. I still have about $580 in coupons.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I was under the impression (possibly wrong) that we just needed to book something by the expiration date, not actually go there. Ideally I'd like to book something before the price increase on Nov.1st because I'm sure RCI will want to charge us extra to make up the difference between the credit and the new price.
We also have a credit and I have been looking at resorts for next fall but I don't even know if it will be safe to travel by then!

~Diane

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is correct. You have to use the coupon for the exchange fee before it expires. The time of travel can be anytime for which you have points or deposits (depending on account type) to use.

I was under the impression (possibly wrong) that we just needed to book something by the expiration date, not actually go there.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression (possibly wrong) that we just needed to book something by the expiration date, not actually go there. Ideally I'd like to book something before the price increase on Nov.1st because I'm sure RCI will want to charge us extra to make up the difference between the credit and the new price.
We also have a credit and I have been looking at resorts for next fall but I don't even know if it will be safe to travel by then!

~Diane
Go ahead and book. If it isnt safe, you will receive a credit. I'm planning as usual into the next year.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm losing one in the TPU and $59 in my Wyndham portal RCI.

The problem, however, is that they just are not really loading exchanges in so much lately.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Go ahead and book. If it isnt safe, you will receive a credit. I'm planning as usual into the next year.
You will only get additional credit if you book the additional points protection and even that (in terms of exchange credit) currently only goes if you cancel by 3/31 and rebook something else by then. Perhaps if the boarders are still closed there may be additional waivers but the I don't want to travel because I don't know that it is safe waiver with exchange coupon ended Sept 1 of this year.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will only get additional credit if you book the additional points protection and even that (in terms of exchange credit) currently only goes if you cancel by 3/31 and rebook something else by then. Perhaps if the boarders are still closed there may be additional waivers but the I don't want to travel because I don't know that it is safe waiver with exchange coupon ended Sept 1 of this year.

No one really knows. I have gone ahead and feel that RCI may follow the same protocol that they have established. You can cancel with the protection closer to the date and yes you would rebook further out. Its really an individual decision and what you are comfortable with. I hope you get to go where you want!!

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke to RCI yesterday and was told if I made an reservation after Sept 7th that I had to put protection on my exchange at that moment for $89.

If I waited till the the last day or before to cancel it would cost $129 to protect my TPU’s.

Also if I cancel with protection before Dec 31st they will extend it to March 2021.

Is this what you guys have heard?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
hmmm. so how about reservations prior to Sept 7 using free trade certificate? If I cancel do I get another free certificate?

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke to RCI yesterday and was told if I made an reservation after Sept 7th that I had to put protection on my exchange at that moment for $89.

If I waited till the the last day or before to cancel it would cost $129 to protect my TPU’s.

Also if I cancel with protection before Dec 31st they will extend it to March 2021.

Is this what you guys have heard?
Yes. I was also told w/protection I could cancel up to the last minute. My weeks are for Dec. So I'm covered.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmmm. so how about reservations prior to Sept 7 using free trade certificate? If I cancel do I get another free certificate?
I think you do but call to make sure. My previous reservations had been made a year out and I did receive my points and exchange fees as credits. One trip was for Sept the other in Dec.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think if you bought prior to Sept 7 and added points protection prior to that time, you get the current "enhanced protection" but it cost less than what they are currently charging. If you booked and don't have points protection you go by the standard policy (lose your exchange fee and get a % of points based on when you cancel) unless there are extended circumstances like the resort is closed or you can't travel internationally due to restrictions. Otherwise you are free to add the enhanced protection at the current rate.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
update--you don't get another free certificate.
However, my points were rolled over to the next usage year for free. I thought these were older points that were expiring--if so, RCI did me a solid--if not, then I was just confused about which points are which!

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The RCI cancellation policy with points protection has changed again. If you purchased your points protection after Sept 7 but before March 31, 2021, and cancel now, your exchange fee coupon is good until Sept 30. 2021. It does not say if the cancellation has to be before March 31. If you purchased protection before Sept 7 the exchange credit is good until March 31.

• Trading Power Protection has always protected your Trading Power. For a limited time, enhanced Trading Power Protection now also protects your exchange fee** in the form of an exchange fee credit, when purchased on or before March 31st, 2021. The exchange fee credit is eligible to reconfirm one new vacation on or before September 30, 2021.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a credit in RCI Wyn portal and in RCI points. They are now adding them together. I wonder if that credit expires at the end of this year or it will be extended?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a credit in RCI Wyn portal and in RCI points. They are now adding them together. I wonder if that credit expires at the end of this year or it will be extended?
Call and ask. They can see the expiration dates. If some of the cancellations were from summer, then those expire 12/31 for booking.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a credit that was definitely expiring on Dec. 31. I finally found something and booked it last week.