• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI current cruise and stay deal, is it a deal????

pat150

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a call from RCI last week about a deal they are offering. For about $2400.00 you get a cruise for 2 and a weeks stay for 2. You pay up front, then you get a listing of available cruises and properties. You have 18 months to book the cruise and 3 years for the other stay. Suppposedly you can book up to a 2 bedroom and the cruises are on all the major lines. There are a few upgrades that cost extra but the person I spoke with said most upgrades on the cruise are not extra.

Has any one done this? Is it really a good deal or are your choices few and slim? It sounds pretty good but I would hate to pay the money and then be dissapointed.

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be skeptical. I assume the cruise is for a week. And, I would also assume tht unless you purchased upgrades, you will get the cheapest cabin on the ship. Also, not being able to see the options prior to paying an upfront fee would bother me. My feeling is that you could probably do better or at least as well booking the vacation and cruise you want on your own.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bizarre that they don't let you see what's available so you can pick what works for you.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a call from RCI last week about a deal they are offering. For about $2400.00 you get a cruise for 2 and a weeks stay for 2. You pay up front, then you get a listing of available cruises and properties. You have 18 months to book the cruise and 3 years for the other stay. Suppposedly you can book up to a 2 bedroom and the cruises are on all the major lines. There are a few upgrades that cost extra but the person I spoke with said most upgrades on the cruise are not extra.

Has any one done this? Is it really a good deal or are your choices few and slim? It sounds pretty good but I would hate to pay the money and then be dissapointed.

I received the same proposal and even went as far as "purchasing the package". First, the "weeks stay for two" is the opportunity book at a weeks resort, so the availabilities are limited to what's been deposited (I imagine I would not have gotten the top resorts). So when I asked about booking a summer week in Ireland in addition to the cruise I was told it wasn't available (surprise, surprise).

After you purchased the package you go to the RCI Cruise website and search for your desired cruise. You will quickly notice the cruise package price is based on inside cabin rates. I did comparison searches on the RCI cruise site (and others) and found that the package cost works out to a prepaid cruise with a "bonus" TS week thrown in. If you were looking to take an expensive cruise to Alaska or the Mediterranean and wanted to buy an upgrade to one of the higher cost cabins you would probably save a couple hundred dollars. If you were looking to cruise to the Caribbean or stay in inside cabins, then it would be cheaper to skip the package.

IMHO, is that you can book a cruise with RCI (or any other company) and purchase a vacation from RCI for about the same amount (or less) than the offered deal with more flexibility to plan your vacation.

Oh, one last thing...After receiving the materials and doing the cruise searches, I promptly rescinded.

Last edited:

pat150

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!

Thanks so much for your input, I figured it was not going to be worth it but when you talk to them on the phone they make it sound like such a deal. I think the pressure of booking under their conditions would have driven me crazy, I'm glad I asked around first. Thanks again! Pat

mikwilli

Reaction score
I just figured I'd post my experience with the RCI cruises. Hopefully others found it better. They called(Note the past tense as wishful thinking) us relentlessly and so we listened to their offer. When all was said and done it would have cost us about $900 on top of giving them our week. When I checked cruises.com for the same trip, place, and time it would have cost about $700 including tax.