• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI cancellation rules if you are using HGVC points

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am trying to figure out the specific RCI rules for bookings made with HGVC points thought the portal. Any Idea what RCI cancellation policies are in place?

I have an late Oct reservation for The District, booked via RCI. Not sure if I am wanting to travel to DC yet, but it depends on the cancellation policy.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Not sure if RCI is being as generous as HGVC with cancellations this year (all points returned up to 24hr cancellation thru Dec 31st), but these are the rules in a normal year.

44126b16c7ffd6da50d0eeb849168af5.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks @SmithOp. I looked at RCI portal and found RCI dates which are more like 120 days to get a refund. Didn't see it in HGVC guide. What page was it on? and in what document.

Glad we still get to operate under HGVC dates.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the specific RCI rules for bookings made with HGVC points thought the portal. Any Idea what RCI cancellation policies are in place?

I have an late Oct reservation for The District, booked via RCI. Not sure if I am wanting to travel to DC yet, but it depends on the cancellation policy.
Cancellation policy follows both HGVC and RCI policy.

This means that normally you can freely cancel up to 31 days before checkin and get your points back but not your exchange fee.

Now hgvc allows you to cancel upto one day before checkin without points penalty this does however not go for RCI exchanges.

RCI currently allow you to cancel any vacations freely without points and exchange fee penalty with a checkin date no later than August 16th.

the exchange fee you will get back as a voucher not as money.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thanks @SmithOp. I looked at RCI portal and found RCI dates which are more like 120 days to get a refund. Didn't see it in HGVC guide. What page was it on? and in what document.

Glad we still get to operate under HGVC dates.

Its at the top of page 9 in the 2020 Club Rules PDF.

As Cyberg said RCI has only announced the 24hr policy through Aug 16th so it may not apply to your reservation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI currently allow you to cancel any vacations freely without points and exchange fee penalty with a checkin date no later than August 16th.

the exchange fee you will get back as a voucher not as money.

So know I know I can hold out a little longer and see what happens to RCI policy. Thanks @Cyberc

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So know I know I can hold out a little longer and see what happens to RCI policy. Thanks @Cyberc
As long as the situation does not get better in the US they are going to continue to move the deadline.

One thing to add is that the voucher needs to be used for a future reservation by December 31st.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
After a hurricanes in Florida, I called HGVC to cancel an RCI booking 1-week out.
They returned all the points and gave a credit for the exchange fee.
But then RCI also refunded the points, so I ended up with 2x the points.
They said they'd look into it and never did.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm trying to figure out what to do with an RCI booking that I am going to cancel. FYI I have an EOY account so that complicates things somewhat.

I used up some leftover 2021 points (1,190) in RCI. The 4 night stay is in 2022. If I cancel that exchange and reuse the points to book a different 2022 exchange before the end of this year (12/31/21) I will lose the exchange fee but I won't need to pay to save them in HGVC nor deposit them in RCI, if I understand correctly. I also have the option to purchase points protection from RCI. Is there any advantage to buying that? Are they still giving you a coupon credit for the exchange fee?

I also have 50 orphaned points in HGVC so I suppose that another option would be to cancel the exchange then pay to save all of those points 1190+50=1,230 into 2022. I doubt that I will do this because of the small number of points unless I am missing something else? (We plan to use our 2023 week so there will be no reason to combine the saved points).

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. Many thanks.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I'm trying to figure out what to do with an RCI booking that I am going to cancel. FYI I have an EOY account so that complicates things somewhat.

I used up some leftover 2021 points (1,190) in RCI. The 4 night stay is in 2022. If I cancel that exchange and reuse the points to book a different 2022 exchange before the end of this year (12/31/21) I will lose the exchange fee but I won't need to pay to save them in HGVC nor deposit them in RCI, if I understand correctly.

Correct.
You’ll lose the exchange fee and you don’t need to deposit if you book another RCI exchange before they expire at the end of this year.

From 2019 HGVC Webinar handbook (
link)
  • When you book with RCI, you have until the close of business the day after you confirm the reservation to cancel or change the reservation and get your exchange fee and points back
  • After the grace period ends, if you need to cancel or change your reservation, you will automatically forfeit the exchange fee
I also have the option to purchase points protection from RCI. Is there any advantage to buying that?

RCI Points Protection basically removes the cancellation penalty which occurs 30 days before check-in (see table in POST #2 above). With Point Protection, all of your points will be returned to you when you cancel your reservation, even if it is the day of check-in. But, I don’t know how Point Protection would work if your returned points expired.

From 2019 HGVC Webinar handbook (
link)
  • If you choose not to purchase Points Protection and your cancellation occurs within 30 days of the check-in date, you will forfeit up to 100% of the points used. The point loss for an RCI reservation is the same as the HGV Club Season reservation cancel policy
  • The fee paid to purchase protection is always forfeit, even if you cancel the reservation while it is in the grace period
Are they still giving you a coupon credit for the exchange fee?

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the coupon credit option.

Last edited: