• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Canceled a Confirmed Exchange

Terry D

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email today from RCI saying they have canceled a confirmed reservation for Oct 12/23 that was matched with an ongoing search on Aug 18, 2022. Here is the wording in the RCI email
"I need to speak with you concerning a RCI confirmation to resort LITTLE SWEDEN VACATION RESORT for check-in 10.12.23. The resort verified the unit in error."

How can the resort verify a unit in error over 3 months after an exchange? What are my options? What type of compensation, if any, should I ask from RCI?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I would settle for nothing less than a full refund (a credit might be just as good if you are going to spend it anyway, but on principle I would not settle for that). And ask for help booking what you want ... maybe ask for them to backdate an OGS for you?

If you have airfare already bought, I would lay it on think and consider demanding to be made whole.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Since the exchange isn't for 10+ months in the future, my guess is they will put you on the priority wait list for any dates within you original search and you probably could add some additional parameters. They will refund the exchange fee and points but if they find something else for you they will still charge you the exchange fee and points. Yes you have had the exchange for 3.5 months but since it is so far away they aren't going to give you anything that costs them any money.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email today from RCI saying they have canceled a confirmed reservation for Oct 12/23 that was matched with an ongoing search on Aug 18, 2022. Here is the wording in the RCI email
"I need to speak with you concerning a RCI confirmation to resort LITTLE SWEDEN VACATION RESORT for check-in 10.12.23. The resort verified the unit in error."

How can the resort verify a unit in error over 3 months after an exchange? What are my options? What type of compensation, if any, should I ask from RCI?

Exchange companies verify deposits soon after the member makes the deposit. If the resort made an error, they should be responsible for that error. But the big exchange companies are going to dump that on the member not the resort.

Once while I was an HOA president our resort had one of our members who lived in England deposit his OBX week with DAE Europe. There was a snafu on the confirmation as it used numbers for months instead of the name of the month, and someone in the DAE Europe office read it as day-month-year instead of month-day-year in US style. A member confirmed the exchange for the wrong start date as a result. When DAE Europe realized the error was in their office, they asked our manager to find a rental for the start date as DAE had confirmed to its member, which DAE would pay for. Our manager realized that an owner had responded to the "coming down" letter that he would not be using his unit for the week needed by DAE, so she called the owner and asked if they wanted to deposit it with DAE and get a credit to exchange. The member was an "own to use" type and had never used an exchange company but thought that was at least some return on their m/f so they agreed. Problem solved.

In the nine years I was on the board, that was the only confirmation issues we ever had with an exchange company, but in general dealing with RCI, I doubt they would have had the same response to a similar problem that DAE did.

Last edited: