• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI And Interval International

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The chance that your trading power shrinkage has something to do with DVC joining II is close to zero. IMHO

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Innseason at Ogunquit Maine.
Well after everything was said and done, from an economic standpoint this would have been the thing to buy if I could have found one but my wife preferred innseason at ogunquit Maine to actually use every now and then so I worked out a deal with a lady that has a floating odd year week there and we should be able to go between Thanksgiving and Christmas for the holiday festivities from time to time plus join II for the getaways, all for $552 mol every other year. I can deal with it. Both the resort and the town seem to be very well reviewed. Splitting the cost of transferring.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chance that your trading power shrinkage has something to do with DVC joining II is close to zero. IMHO
I’m curious as to what you think caused the sudden decrease in trading power if it isn’t Disney. I’ve been a member of II since 2003 and something definitely changed this year.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I’m curious as to what you think caused the sudden decrease in trading power if it isn’t Disney. I’ve been a member of II since 2003 and something definitely changed this year.

Perhaps there’s a lot more demand for travel post-pandemic that has resulted in folks exchanging in the preference periods. The addition of Disney to II would be a supply side change that I would think would have the opposite effect and make perceived trading power into non-Disney resorts better.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

A lot has changed this year on travel. And the last couple of years have all been out of the ordinary.

II does its best to make trading power a black box. It is not even easy to determine if you have lost trading power or if other circumstances have changed. To the extent you have truly lost trading power, here is what I believe to be most likely.

1) The resort you are trading is perceived by the II system as having less value than it did. (This could be based on geography, recent measures of the resort, or something else.)

2) The resorts you want to trade into are perceived by the II system as having greater value than they did previously. (Kind of the inverse of the factors above.)

--------------------------

I still have not heard a theory of causation from your POV of how DVC entering II could have impacted your trading power. It seems what you are trading would have few connections to DVC inventory now being in II. It seems to me any change in trading power you have experienced is likely to have another cause.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In 2022 owner deposits are down but members still have banked weeks to use. Les supply and more demand. Probably also means fewer Marriott and Vistana weeks get out of the priority period.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot has changed this year on travel. And the last couple of years have all been out of the ordinary.

II does its best to make trading power a black box. It is not even easy to determine if you have lost trading power or if other circumstances have changed. To the extent you have truly lost trading power, here is what I believe to be most likely.

1) The resort you are trading is perceived by the II system as having less value than it did. (This could be based on geography, recent measures of the resort, or something else.)

2) The resorts you want to trade into are perceived by the II system as having greater value than they did previously. (Kind of the inverse of the factors above.)

--------------------------

I still have not heard a theory of causation from your POV of how DVC entering II could have impacted your trading power. It seems what you are trading would have few connections to DVC inventory now being in II. It seems to me any change in trading power you have experienced is likely to have another cause.
I agree both 1 & 2 are possibilities. Since II’s secret formula for trades is hidden from us we have to make some assumptions about how it works. Obviously TDI & quality of the resort play a huge part, but after that it is a gray area…timing of request, # of timeshares in a region, size of unit, preference periods, etc. Personally, I don’t think of trading power as a definitive number, but rather a ranking. In terms of trading power it doesn’t matter whether my resort was decreased or others have increased, both end in a lower ranking for mine which equals lower trading power. I think when Disney came into the system they were put up towards the top of the rankings. In order to have high quality resorts available for them to exchange into, some of us got knocked down a notch and no longer have access. I’m not suggesting that I should have access to all the same stuff as Disney owners. My unit is not the same quality. My point to the OP is I wouldn’t purchase a cheap timeshare just to trade in II, because trading power may change over time and it might be rather abrupt. I also think there is other quirks with their system in terms of what I could see last month vs this month, but that is for another thread. ;)

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps there’s a lot more demand for travel post-pandemic that has resulted in folks exchanging in the preference periods. The addition of Disney to II would be a supply side change that I would think would have the opposite effect and make perceived trading power into non-Disney resorts better.
Yes, I suspect there is a huge demand for travel right now. I also agree there is likely a lot more units being snagged during preference period than in the past. When I mention not being able to see units, I’m referring to units on the sightings board that are noted as being out of preference. I posted above on how I think Disney negatively affected my trading power, so I won’t repeat it. It is always good to read others opinion on the topic.:)

tlguinn_2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are familiar with RCI, I recommend getting a timeshare that trades in both RCI & II. At least that way if you don't like your trading power in II you can deposit it in RCI the next year
I have two resorts that both have dual memberships (RCI and II). I am currently in RCI in both. What is the process to change to II? What happens to RCI points? RCI dues are coming up soon.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have two resorts that both have dual memberships (RCI and II). I am currently in RCI in both. What is the process to change to II? What happens to RCI points? RCI dues are coming up soon.
with rci weeks all you have to do is not deposit and you can deposit in II. You can pay to belong both if you want to. With rci points, you have to unenroll it in the points program and that needs to be done at least 13 months prior to your fixed week. For a float week, I believe it is either 13 months prior to your next use year or 13 months prior to the first week in your float season. By 12 months it is already auto deposited into rci points. It is likely too late for 2023 but you can do it for 2024.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are primarily looking for better t/s resorts, then SFX should also be considered as an exchange company. They only take good quality resorts, GC or equivalent into their exchange system. And they have free membership, so you can use it as an extenstion of one of the other two companies.

www.sfxresorts.com

I have used them to trade into London, twice, something I had had searches in with RCI for years on but never matched.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
SFX has not been good for me, and I don't recommend them. Maybe @Carolinian you have had success because you have a certain person at SFX that bends over backwards, but I haven't had that experience at all. I let deposits expire.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are primarily looking for better t/s resorts, then SFX should also be considered as an exchange company. They only take good quality resorts, GC or equivalent into their exchange system. And they have free membership, so you can use it as an extenstion of one of the other two companies.

www.sfxresorts.com

I have used them to trade into London, twice, something I had had searches in with RCI for years on but never matched.

My complaint with SFX: It is 2022, there is no reason people should not be able to search online for available exchanges. Having to call and talk to someone to book an exchange is at least 20 years out of date. RCI also dealt them a blow negotiating an "exclusive" exchange agreement with HGVC ... so Hilton owners can no longer deposit their resorts with SFX.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been two (2) major changing since this thread started. July 14, 2022. IMHO.
Disney is now back with II and Hilton have acquired all of the DRI Resorts.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
My complaint with SFX: It is 2022, there is no reason people should not be able to search online for available exchanges. Having to call and talk to someone to book an exchange is at least 20 years out of date. RCI also dealt them a blow negotiating an "exclusive" exchange agreement with HGVC ... so Hilton owners can no longer deposit their resorts with SFX.

Good point. That is certainly a drawback.

Very few remember which exchange company first put their timeshare inventory online for their members. It was one few of us even remember - the Swedish based timeshare exchange company Timelinx. The concept was thought up as a Business grad school project by a group of Swedish business grad students, who went on to actually create the company after graduating. The company picked up a lot of timeshare members in Scandanavia, and generally throughout Europe. It developed a new timeshare resort at a chateau in France, which only exchanged through Timelinx, and there were plans for more of that. They sold a franchise to operate Timelinx in Asia, but those running that franchise did some things that were not kosher and the franchise was cancelled. Then a buyer turned up and offered them big bucks for the company, so they cashed out. The new buyer was not interested in the exchange business, but instead wanted to use the company's credibility for some shady dealings in timesharing. I remember looking at their website after the new buyers took over and the only reference to exchanging was a short statement that they still did exchanges for members of the "old company" and an email address to contact for exchanges. It was a sad loss of an exchange company that had real promise.

In those days, RCI offered a 2 credits for 1 deposit deal for timeshare owners in most Europe countries for European deposits and exchanges outside Europe, but Timelinx, which did not do that, still made great headway against RCI.

rili

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposited a week with RCI. I DO NOT have II account. RCI said my week had already been deposited with II. Neither the resort no RCI offered any help. I can’t get in touch with anyone at II. Any ideas what do do??? Has this ever happened to anyone else!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I deposited a week with RCI. I DO NOT have II account. RCI said my week had already been deposited with II. Neither the resort no RCI offered any help. I can’t get in touch with anyone at II. Any ideas what do do??? Has this ever happened to anyone else!
What resort do you own?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue Beards castle. Managed by SPM.
Perhaps SPM (the resort's management company) would know how this deposit was made, and by whom. I think that's where I'd start.