• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI and II - is the only reason to join RCI or II to trade TS/Points I have for a TS that works better for me to actually use?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Hey me again...the rookie/noob for sure!

Appreciate all the TUG wisdom you all are dishing out to my MANY questions.

This go-round....looking for best uses for RCI or II to justify the membership fees.

Thanks in advance!

R1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Holiday Club
I've had my timeshare for over 30 years and have never belonged to RCI because I'm able to get what ever I want within my own network. If I do have a reason to deposit a week I use Daelive which is a exchange company that you can deposit for free with out a membership and then you pay a fee when you are ready to make a exchange. Plus your week can be banked for up tp 3 years. I would check them out before you waste money on a RCI or II membership.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I've had my timeshare for over 30 years and have never belonged to RCI because I'm able to get what ever I want within my own network. If I do have a reason to deposit a week I use Daelive which is a exchange company that you can deposit for free with out a membership and then you pay a fee when you are ready to make a exchange. Plus your week can be banked for up tp 3 years. I would check them out before you waste money on a RCI or II membership.
Nice! thanks so much @R1964

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I have both unfortunately. Hgvc uses RCI while Marriott uses II. I like II and have Platn memberships. I like it. Plus it’s the only way for me to exchange my Vistana and MVC that are unenrolled.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I have both unfortunately. Hgvc uses RCI while Marriott uses II. I like II and have Platn memberships. I like it. Plus it’s the only way for me to exchange my Vistana and MVC that are unenrolled.
Thanks @SteelerGal !

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
I have both RCI and II. A couple of my resorts are enrolled in RCI Points. And a couple of my resorts are eligible for both RCI & II.

The main reason I use an exchange company is I like to visit new places. I like to bring along family and friends, and timeshares give me enough room for that. Once you know how many points your Timeshare gets or how many bedrooms you can pull in II you’ll be able to plan ahead and exchange.

The costs of exchanging do add up. I don’t let it bother me too bad - it’s just part of the expense of vacationing. I exchange about once a year, and I also visit my home resorts. And on occasion I have rented out some of my units.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Both of our timeshares are independents and don't belong to a group, so I use RCI. However, for our Maui timeshare we belong to Trading Places Maui as we usually trade back into our own resort and they have the best inventory for that.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a member of II but use them sparingly as I find the fees not worth it unless I really want an area that I can't get through my worldmark ownership. With around 70 worldmark locations that I can travel to with no extra fees that doesn't happen that often. Also I don't give them my Banff summer week as I can get better direct exchanges on TUG or rent it on airbnb for at least two to three times the maintenance fee. The other weeks I own we always use so no trading those. A lot of people like their extra vacations or rental area. I have only ever been able to utilize one of the bonus weeks that they periodically throw into my account and that is only because I recently retired from teaching so have a lot more flexibility to travel during the slow season. Still I will likely keep up the membership for the occasional trade.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
I am a member of II but use them sparingly as I find the fees not worth it unless I really want an area that I can't get through my worldmark ownership. With around 70 worldmark locations that I can travel to with no extra fees that doesn't happen that often. Also I don't give them my Banff summer week as I can get better direct exchanges on TUG or rent it on airbnb for at least two to three times the maintenance fee. The other weeks I own we always use so no trading those. A lot of people like their extra vacations or rental area. I have only ever been able to utilize one of the bonus weeks that they periodically throw into my account and that is only because I recently retired from teaching so have a lot more flexibility to travel during the slow season. Still I will likely keep up the membership for the occasional trade.
@Tacoma - renting thru airbnb...you fancy! Has that been a good way to go?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I have both II and RCI. I have never deposited into II...have used a couple of times for getaways and Accommodation Certificates, and plan to keep doing that. I use RCI to exchange, and also do extra vacations/last calls through them. (I did this for the trip I took to see my parents....stayed in a 2BR HICV unit in Missouri for $450 for all week. So much cheaper than a hotel!) The fees CAN add up, for sure, which is why careful planning is always something to keep in mind.

If I had to choose just one, I'd likely keep RCI. I can stretch my higher value weeks into two weeks if I choose (granted...two exchange fees), or I can combine all the leftover TPUs and get another week.