• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RC St. Thomas this week in a 2 BR

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Up to 9 nights, starting Jul 6! Flights are booked, but I meant to visit the Westin St. John instead.

Which on-site amenities and beach would you opt for, when traveling with an active teen? There’s quite a bit of rain in the forecast.

Note: displayed points requirement reflects my chairman’s discount

Attachments

• IMG_2576.png
    IMG_2576.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 33

curitiba_tapley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club
Marriott's Harbor Lake
Club Wyndham Access
My family (wife and two teenage boys) just got back from Westin St. John. I cannot comment on St. Thomas, but a day trip or two to St. John can easily be part of your vacation.

A ferry runs between the two islands on the top and bottom of the hour. Grabbing a taxi, or renting a vehicle, is super easy, once you’re on St. John. The ferry is less than $10 per person each way - you can buy round trip tickets and taxis are abundant.

On St. John Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay beaches are excellent. There is $5 dollar per adult charge to get into Trunk Bay. There you can rent snorkel, fins, etc and swim the coral that is there - it’s all marked off. You can also rent beach chairs and other things. There are two other major beaches on the north shore, but we didn’t hit those.

There are also other beaches on St. John thst are more remote, or accessible by a short hike - a mile or so - that could be interesting for teens.

We also did a Snorkel / Pizza lunch trip right out of the Westin resort marina. I think that was on Mondays and Fridays. We went to a spot on St Thomas - Christmas Bay - so I imagine a similar trip is available via St Thomas and concierge can help you with that.

The VSN group probably has more info regarding St. John things to do and see. I had a thread there asking car rentals and the TUGGERs there were super helpful.

Have fun.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which on-site amenities and beach would you opt for, when traveling with an active teen? There’s quite a bit of rain in the forecast.
The beach at the RCC St Thomas is actually quite nice. While you might want to head out to see other St Thomas beaches (e.g. Magens Bay), there is no need to do so. As for other "on-site amenities" I'm not sure what you are asking. There is a boat that does snorkel excursions right from the RCC (which is certainly convenient) but we opted for Stormy Pirates out of Red Hook.

That said (and as @curitiba_tapley wrote), St John is indeed fabulous and completely worth the ferry ride. In addition to the normal beach stuff we did private boat trips out of Cruz and Coral Bays which were quite competitively priced compared to the cost of four tickets on boats out of St Thomas.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Thanks so much for sharing insights, despite the lack of clarity in my post.

Long story, short: by on-site amenities, I meant those things to do on the resort itself — especially concerning with inclement weather, since my habit is to swim laps before others are in the pool (and before my family ready to get up), my great love is to snorkel even if only from the resort beach, and my husband’s priority is to spend the day relaxing by the pool.

By now, I have chosen to keep my Westin St. John reservations which bookend our almost two-week trip, so I can make full use of the Westin ferry - they have repeatedly confirmed that paying once at the airport will cover unlimited rides between the islands, even though I’m spending gap nights in St. Thomas.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have stayed at the Frenchman’s Cove twice, two years back. Our first trip was just a week long, and we basically stayed on property the whole time, because even walking through the airport proved challenging for my then 80+ year old mother.

The second trip, of two weeks, I left my mother in my sister’s care and vacationed differently. I rented a car on St. Thomas, driving as far as Ram’s Head on St. John, so we could snorkel and kayak on both islands. When I didn’t feel we had time enough to both hike and swim out to “the rocks” at Salt Pond beach and make the last car ferry back to the Frenchman’s Cove, I wound up booking a glamping site to overnight during a second trip to St. John, and made sure that it coincided with a nighttime NPS ranger presentation.

Update: I’ve just rebooked to stay at the Ritz Carlton vs return to the Frenchman’s Cove for my St. Thomas stay. I’m so looking forward to exploring its recommended beach!

Last edited: