• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rant: My Run-In with American Express

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This would be your typical "suspicious charge / blocked charge" situation, but seriously, who closes their fraud department at 8PM on Black Friday?

-------------
Last night, I placed an order totaling just over $200 on NewEgg.com. They have a deal -- Put $200 on Am-Ex / Am-Ex credits $25. In processing, New Egg splits the order in 2 - down the middle. Then the fun begins... Am-Ex approves Part 1 / denies Part 2.

New Egg sends me an e-mail about it, but there's nothing from Am-Ex. I re-place Part 2 of the order. Denied again. WTF? So I call Am-Ex.

CS Rep: "Some charges need to be reviewed with you, but that department closed at 8PM, 26 minutes ago. You'll have to call back in the AM. They reopen at 7AM."

I'm incredulous: "Why would I call back in the AM when I'm trying to use it tonight? Where are they? Out doing their Black Friday shopping? Well, scr*w American Express. I'll just stop using it and use another card." <click>

I cancel Part 2 of the order, and place another using a Capital One card.

To close down at 8PM when Black Friday is active, is simply absurd.

-------------------
I called back this morning. Fraud Protection, after grilling me with ID questions, says: "It's Black Friday, and we're getting a lot of suspicious charges. Me: "So you randomly blocking charges and then closing down for the night?" Them: "It's not random, but you're card is now unlocked and ready to use." <arrgh>

I got their "suspicious activity" e-mail two hours later.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is just how I felt when I call the power company today... seems their call center is closed since Wed for the holiday weekend. 4 day weekend plus end of month moves. And cold weather starting to hit. Went directly to voice mail ... no prompts for emergency service or outages. Hope the police department has a real number to call ... this is a time of the year, power poles seem to get taken 'out'.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Never known a fraud department to be "closed" at any bank/credit card company I've dealt with, including AMEX. I'm surprised they had no one to talk to.

Cheers

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Never known a fraud department to be "closed" at any bank/credit card company I've dealt with, including AMEX. I'm surprised they had no one to talk to.

Oh, I'm sure they had someone who'd lock a card, but apparently no one to unlock one.
It boggles the mind.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
That is just how I felt when I call the power company today... seems their call center is closed since Wed for the holiday weekend. 4 day weekend plus end of month moves. And cold weather starting to hit. Went directly to voice mail ... no prompts for emergency service or outages. Hope the police department has a real number to call ... this is a time of the year, power poles seem to get taken 'out'.
Not to worry, fire and law enforcement have dedicated emergency lines to utilities. Always call 911 first if a pole is down so they can protect life and property until the utility can arrive.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This stinks

last year I had an attack of what I thought was diverticulitis on the day before thanksgiving. My doctor off for holidays and not answering calls. I went to walk in clinic, the radiology departments everywhere closed at noon. By the time I was seen in urgent care, radiology departments closed all over. I had to go to ER and wait all day for the test so had a huge bill and got home about eleven that night with prescriptions for antibiotics. The same thing happens on New Year's Eve. Everything closed at noon, even urgent care.
My daughter had to work on Thanksgiving, she is a mental health counselor for an insurance company. She has worked many holidays. I just don't understand having all employees off for several days for each holiday.