• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rant #2... I'm on a roll... I get about 10 calls from OUT OF AREA (m)

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
most of the time when I answer nobody says anything. Today, somebody said something and they said that they missed dialed. How do I get these calls to stop. I'm serious 10 a day. I work from home so, I have to answer every call and it gets annoying to waste my time. Any ideas???

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
most of the time when I answer nobody says anything. Today, somebody said something and they said that they missed dialed. How do I get these calls to stop. I'm serious 10 a day. I work from home so, I have to answer every call and it gets annoying to waste my time. Any ideas???

I get them as well, though not 10 per day (at least I haven't had that many for awhile). I have caller ID and when I see the number I just don't answer it. Most of the ones I have been getting lately come from "ICI", with a Las 'Vegas area code. But in a month it will change to something new.

When I do answer an unknown call, I handle them as I do our home phone. If I say "Hello" and no answers within a couple of seconds, I immediately hang up.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is it a new number? You may want to Google your phone number and see if it used to belong to a national company of some sort. When I first moved into my current home my phone number changed from my previous residence. I didn't know or expect anything unusual with the new number until the Fax calls started at 3 AM every Monday morning. Then came the long-winded, desperate messages left on my answering machine from apparently elderly people who needed to get the payoff from their recently deceased spouse's insurance policy. And then there were the angry rants from dissatisfied customers who couldn't understand why nobody was returning their phone calls.

Turns out my phone number used to be a local number for a national insurance company. The calls went on like that until the next year, when the phone company updated their directories. To live with it, I put a message on my answering machine that said this was a private residence, and NOT the offices of the insurance company. Eventually the calls stopped.

Dave

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll bet the callers are not dialing 1. That could cause your area code to be seen as a local exchange in their area.

My cell starts with 877, which happens to be a toll-free area code. I frequently get calls intended for various toll-free numbers, because the callers didn't dial 1 so the 877 is not interpreted as an area code. They are dialing 10 numbers - the first 7 are my cell, and the last 3 are just ignored.

if they are calling 877-abc-defg, and they do not dial 1, they get 877-abcd which is my cell.

Last edited: