• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rambling thoughts at Hilton Head

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on spring break at Grande Ocean. It’s raining so I’m sitting here thinking on my iPad (so forgive the typos). Because of the pandemic (remote working and remote schooling), we’ve been able to visit four properties in a relative short amount of time- All in South Carolina- Ocean Watch, Surf Watch, Harbour Club and now Grande Ocean. Three are within a few miles of each other. Yet we’ve noticed differences that are interesting to me. This is not really a complaint— just interesting.

checking into Grande Ocean a few days ago we found it to be the most direct and stern welcome of all. while waiting my turn to check in, I observed employees almost talking to guests as if they were children about the COVID-19 protocols. In a loud and strong voice telling them the rules. I get the rules and am certainly not looking for a political debate about the merits of state policies and mandates. a female associate was almost lecturing. Thankfully she did not check me in. But I was taken aback by the lack of graciousness you would expect at a hospitality business (better to say, “we ask that everyone wear a mask in the common areas...” instead of “we have a zero tolerance for people not following the rules of... Or you could be asked to leave.”). Wow. Of course in today’s world you have to cover your liability so I understand informing everyone of the rules and posting signs. If there are problems with individuals then you address it with those people.

I was told if engineering needed to enter the unit then we would have to vacate— meaning not be in another room or on the balcony. Yes they were that explicit. We called at Harbour Club acfew weeks ago when we spotted water inside the kitchen cabinets. I had a mask and the engineer had a mask and we were both on our knees trying to figure our where the water was coming from. Turns out the dishwasher line was leaking but I think my presence helped him find it faster to eliminate damage.

At Grande Ocean i heard them tell others they were not fully staffed because of Covid-19. But later said they were at full capacity.

Activites are limited as you would expect. Reservations are required 24 hours in advance for activities. We decided to make reservations for virtual s’mores and dutifully called 24 hours in advance. Virtual smores means they bring a little bags of chocolate, marshmallow and graham crackers to you. At the 24-hour mark when we called, the person on the phone wasn’t sure what we were talking about and put us on hold. She came back on and told us that activity was full! I’m not sure how you can put a capacity limit on delivery of a s’more kit— but there is one.

between the four properties I noticed different dishwashing detergent, kitchen soap, and laundry detergent. Of course who cares, but I do find it interesting because I would think they get it all from the same vendors. Speaking of soap, hand soap in bathrooms and shampoo is a peach smell but bath bar and lotion are the old standard. My wife who really is not into that kind of thing LOVES the peach stuff. ;-).

here only one family unit in hot tubs at a time— other properties did not mention that rule. And hot tubs here are big!
really like the renovation at Grande ocean. our favorite interior of the four. View is totally blocked by trees. surprised that it appears so many units have blocked views and no apparent pruning.

Ocean Watch seems to have the most units with views (granted there may be some distance to the ocean).

three have had bathroom renovations recently. Yet all are different. Surf watch has best shower with multi heads. Harbour Club has good shower space but no hand held unit. Grand ocean has Hand unit but it’s an either or situation between wall mount and hand held. Grand Ocean has nice held with draining hole.

i also find the TV options interesting—. They have differing streaming options. Again not a big deal, just interesting.

rain is moving out. Time to get moving.

Attachments

• D24B9371-E384-401E-845C-BBB0C7CEED48.jpeg
    D24B9371-E384-401E-845C-BBB0C7CEED48.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 92276BD9-8003-4821-8CA9-5DD7EB245BA9.jpeg
    92276BD9-8003-4821-8CA9-5DD7EB245BA9.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 94847402-5D8C-4EB7-BD7A-A7610D0750FA.jpeg
    94847402-5D8C-4EB7-BD7A-A7610D0750FA.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure I noticed a difference in the COVID messaging at the front desk when we stayed at the four beachfront properties last year, but after as many weeks as we had been in timeshare by that point, I probably didn't pay much attention. However based on a limited interaction that I had with the staff at Grande Ocean, I did notice that they almost seemed fearful of guests. I didn't experience the same at the other resorts.

As to the situation about having to be out of the villa when engineering/maintenance came around, I got the impression that was more a rule of the front desk. When engineering showed up they could care less. When they were there, they were masked as were we, but they never asked us to leave or even step out to the patio.

I have noticed similar issues about hot tub policy between the two Sheraton timeshares in Orlando. Vistana Villages opened theirs very early. Vistana Resort still had all of theirs closed, but one, as of a few weeks ago. I think so much comes down to who the general manager is and what their personal thoughts are on everything.

We also thought the renovation was done very well at Grande Ocean. I actually did an old vs. new video about it.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at GO for five weeks from July - January and had a few engineering issues as well as needing a new clock and a new coffee maker. It was really different based on who the person was. I was told that they would only work on the flood in my unit if we were not in the unit. After it happened three times (dishwaser was flooding from clogged drain in disposal). The third time the guy just said, "I'm going to replace the disposal". Let me know when you are gone to do stuff and I'll come then. No real issues that weren't easy to work around. I never had the experience with the front desk, but that could be new.

Can't prune the trees much so lower units on the interior have to view the wonderful grounds. Strange rules about trees on Hilton Head.

I'll be there in two weeks and can't wait to be there.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Can't prune the trees much so lower units on the interior have to view the wonderful grounds. Strange rules about trees on Hilton Head.

I'll be there in two weeks and can't wait to be there.

Sorry Matt but I have to disagree. The trees and other vegetation are in large part, what give HH it's charm and make it such a desirable place to go. just my 2 cents. ;)

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry Matt but I have to disagree. The trees and other vegetation are in large part, what give HH it's charm and make it such a desirable place to go. just my 2 cents. ;)
I don't think you read my post as I intended. My point was/is that you can't prune the trees, so you have to look at the beautiful grounds (what a terrible thing to have to look at). I guess it was somewhat tongue in cheek. We are on the same page in terms of HH and the charm. Same reason why you won't have high rises.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I haven't stayed at the Hilton next to Grand Ocean but think that it might not have as much southern charm although it looks quite beautiful.
AF1QipO6Mc7KhbEQ5q2iEcJVFRADnhW4K8ETiOyd9KA=w325-h216-k-no

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not that I'm against trees, it just appears they need some selective pruning. As the "former" president of an HOA, I learned more about flowers and trees than I cared to know (and trust me, landscaping is grossly expensive!). I was taught selective pruning is necessary (not removing the trees) so that filtered light can get though for the health of all the plants. In addition, air has to be able to circulate and move or there will be problems with mold, m,ildew etc. Yes, I agree the trees add beauty, and I'm not suggesting they bulldoze them for a clear shot of the ocean, but I would like to see a glimpse of the sky and further than 20-feet out from the balcony. I guess I'm automatically tuned into landscaping and various operational issues because of running the HOA (the hardest job of my life!!!).

Again, I'm not arguing about COVID-19 rules, I just simply find the various rules and regulations among the different resorts, which are all Marriott and located near each other, fascinating. I can't help but wonder "why" sometimes.

I think Grand Ocean is great and we are having wonderful week. I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit melancholy at the moment. My youngest is a high school senior and is in the second bedroom hopefully doing homework and filling out scholarship applications. Outside I'm hearing young kids squealing and laughing with their dads in the pool. They are delightful sounds. I remember when...

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not pruning, but the resort did clear out and brighten up the area between the back walk way and the beach. Much less vegitation there which allows for much better views from the ground.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if there are different regulations for commercial and residential areas on the Island. I live in one of the gated communities, the same one where the Barony is located outside the gates. We have no requirement to get any permission if we wish to trim our trees. If we want to take a tree down we have to get permission from the community HOA. I don’t know of anything preventing the Marriott timeshares from trimming their trees.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
what’s charming for visitors can be very painful for the locals. Ask anyone who had 15 or 16 trees come down on their house after Hurricane Matthew. I was lucky I only had two. Ask the locals will have to pay an increase in taxes for the huge cleanup after the hurricane. A lot of people here had a much different view of the “charming “trees after Matthew.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
what’s charming for visitors can be very painful for the locals. Ask anyone who had 15 or 16 trees come down on their house after Hurricane Matthew. I was lucky I only had two. Ask the locals will have to pay an increase in taxes for the huge cleanup after the hurricane. A lot of people here had a much different view of the “charming “trees after Matthew.
My cousin and her husband live in HH Plantation. They had trees down, but none on the house. I think I read that there were over 10,000 trees down during that storm. The pine trees just can't hold up in high winds.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in Surfwatch for four weeks Jan-Feb and found some differences even within the resort. In my Ocean Vista villa, they had an extra set of bowls that were smaller and great for cereal. The Garden view villa only had the standard set that is common at other MVC's. The Ocean Vista had the standard soap and shampoos in standard size, while the Garden View had very small bars and liquids that were only enough for 1-2 days. Canyon Villas actually had both, but were really skimpy with coffee, filters, and dishwashing soap (only enough for 2 days). You would think they would want to provide sufficient supplies for at least a week since they want to minimize interaction with their staff.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on spring break at Grande Ocean
I haven't stayed at the Hilton next to Grand Ocean but think that it might not have as much southern charm although it looks quite beautiful.

We were at Hilton Ocean Oak from Sun until last night, Kids (older) still there until tomorrow. Spent some time at GO (did the presentation) - the kids had a hard time remembering when they were there last. Finally put it together when they saw the indoor pool.

When given the choice at dinner last night, unanimous vote to return to Ocean Oak instead of GO. Blocked views were a part of that discussion. O Oak won out on all the categories discussed except Sea Pines pass and the Bar area.

BTW -presentation sales told us the Welk deal had fallen through. Can't find any confirmation of that - just sales BS?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I was in Surfwatch for four weeks Jan-Feb and found some differences even within the resort. In my Ocean Vista villa, they had an extra set of bowls that were smaller and great for cereal. The Garden view villa only had the standard set that is common at other MVC's. The Ocean Vista had the standard soap and shampoos in standard size, while the Garden View had very small bars and liquids that were only enough for 1-2 days. Canyon Villas actually had both, but were really skimpy with coffee, filters, and dishwashing soap (only enough for 2 days). You would think they would want to provide sufficient supplies for at least a week since they want to minimize interaction with their staff.
We were just there (also in an Ocean Vista / Tidemark unit) and my wife noted how well this unit was outfitted/supplied, especially relative to Grande Vista the week before and even Barony in November.

Last edited:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get to HHI next year since this year is not working out. After reading the posts, maybe I shouldn't limit myself to Grande Ocean.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
BTW -presentation sales told us the Welk deal had fallen through. Can't find any confirmation of that - just sales BS?

Just looked at NASDAQ.com re: MVC. According to them, MVC is up in part due to the Welk acquisition. Suspect sales BS. (Besides, I would be surprised that a salesman would even pay attention to that info.)

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just looked at NASDAQ.com re: MVC. According to them, MVC is up in part due to the Welk acquisition. Suspect sales BS. (Besides, I would be surprised that a salesman would even pay attention to that info.)
Sales spent three minutes looking at our folder and said 'well, we can just shoot the breeze for another 50 minutes'. It just throws one for a loop when a comment like that comes out, which is just the opposite that you would think they would be spinning.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
And just to close out the sales Welk comment I alluded to on this thread, Hyatt announced this morning that the Welk acquisition has 'closed'

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ORLANDO, Fla., April 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Marriott Vacations Worldwide (NYSE: VAC) ("MVW" or the "Company") announced today that it has completed the previously announced acquisition of Welk Resorts, one of the largest independent timeshare companies in North America, for $485 million, including approximately 1.4 million MVW common shares of stock.

"With its eight upper upscale ownership resorts located primarily on the West Coast, 55,000 Owners and three years of built inventory, Welk Resorts is a great addition to MVW," said Stephen P. Weisz, chief executive officer. "This acquisition provides us with substantial future growth opportunities and, once all final approvals are obtained and the resorts are rebranded, will increase our Hyatt Residence Club footprint by 50%. Additionally, I would like to extend a very warm welcome to our new associates as they join our MVW family."

Welk Resorts opened its first vacation ownership resort in 1984 in San Diego (Escondido) – which currently sits on 450 sprawling acres – and offers Owners and guests an array of amenities to experience during their stay. Once combined, Hyatt Residence Club and Welk Resorts will offer Owners, Members and guests 24 vacation ownership properties with nearly 3,000 keys.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to trees.
Really I'm not complaining. We are here on an exchange so I don't expect the best view. What I do see is formed from my years of HOA management-- maintenance, cost of operation, labor, etc. I would have thought over the years some of the trees would have been shaped/pruned. They've obviously been cut back from the buildings themselves so a few trees only have limbs/leaves growing on one side. My mind sees of the maintenance-- the manhours of blowing leaves off the sidewalks, pool decks and skimming the pools to remove debris. Crews are out blowing at this very moment-- but the hot tub deck will be covered by leaves again in a few hours. Also note the koi pond is kinda gross looking. I guess there are fish in there. There are fountains/waterfalls that are not in operation so the empty pools in the fountains are full of leaves and debris. But the azaleas are in FULL bloom and are stunning. So yes, you do want some of the natural look of trees and azaleas, but I personally would be looking for ways to make it easier on my staff to keep the place clean and debris free. I've also wondered the same thing about the woodsy pool at Ocean Watch-- but they seem to keep the pool deck and sidewalks totally free of leaves and debris (and I've been there in every season).

Attachments

• GO1.jpg
    GO1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 40
  • GO2.jpg
    GO2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 40

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone that's there now or soon can ask Massimo his take on this. My guess is they have no concern about view from the back units on that side as they're looking at it as a green space rather than trying for a view of the ocean.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We stayed in a Courtyard view building at Barony on ACs in November (so not Garden View across the street, but the set back building from the ocean closest to the clubhouse). Even though we had a south-facing unit we really didn't get much sunlight because of all the trees in that area. We were on the 3rd floor overlooking the grill area for those of you that know the layout.

While we also enjoyed a better view with more "openness" like in the Tidemark building at SurfWatch, the woodsy feel of Barony was really nice, too.