• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Raintree Club Regina Los Cabos

walleyejason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I get some feedback about the Raintree Club Regina Los Cabos and their Vacation Club?

I'm looking at assuming a timeshare that I found in the marketplace and after looking at the reviews, and checking out just about everthing I can find I am planning on making this my first timeshare.

It looks like the transfer is prett easy, it just may take some extra time.

Any advice would be appricated.
Thanks,
WJ

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you want to use it yourself every year, and you are getting it for free with free transfer costs, it's OK.

However, there is no resale or rental market for this timeshares, so besides using it yourself, it will not be a good renter or trader, and you will have a difficult time getting rid of it if you need to or want to.

Right now there is a huge over supply of timeshares in Mexico so it is a cheap rental and super easy trade. Common wisdom is to buy a good trader in the US instead, and trade or rent in Mexico.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise,

When you say trading, does that mean trading thru RCI or just owner to owner trades?

I mean all kinds of trading. There is far more supply than demand for Mexican timeshares, so they are weak traders. You would be better off to buy a strong trader in the US and trade in - easy, easy trade.

rlblack

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a Raintree Vacation Club membership- for over 10 years- if the purchase includes use of all the resorts in the Raintree system- that has resorts in Mexico, Canada, and the USA it might be for you and your family. We love going to Mexico- and have been to all three Club Regina's- and enjoyed everyone for different reasons. You should look on thier web site and see if the resorts are located where you would like to vacation. We have had no trouble reserving in all the resorts. As for exchanging - we have done a little, and when we have planed ahead we have had no problem. We figured out long ago- timeshare ownership is not an investment- it is a pre-paid access to vacation resorts- So for the reduced price of no initial investment of funds, and you either have stayed in the resorts- or the properties look like places you would like to stay- you might give it a go.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
rlblack - if the OP buys on the resale market, will he still have the option of trading within the system, or do you have to buy from the developer for that?

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I get some feedback about the Raintree Club Regina Los Cabos and their Vacation Club?

I'm looking at assuming a timeshare that I found in the marketplace and after looking at the reviews, and checking out just about everthing I can find I am planning on making this my first timeshare.

Thanks,
WJ

If it is less than 80K points per year, then you can stay away also.

rlblack

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if they buy resale, if they can use all resorts - that would be something to email them and check out- I would get any answer in writing. Or ask the "giver" for all thier documents when they purchased. I know that our documents speak clearly to what our membership allows- and our ownership give us use of all Raintree Resorts, and access to the "affiliates" and some that are referred as "associated"- not sure what all that means since we seem to just use our points up with our Mexico trips.

Re:- number of points- if you want to go high season, one week or more- two bedroom it is 80,000 points. If a 1 bedroom will do- it is 50,000 points- If you would be happy with a studio- one room, no balcony, view of marina (at PVR)- small kitchen- 3/4 bath- two double beds-it is only 20,000 points, and if within 10 days I think- they have a one bedroom available- you can be moved up. If you go off season- the points are lower. There is lots of flexibility.

Another thing to watch- they do sell some every other year memberships- do not have one of those, so am not sure how that all works.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are much better units to make your 1st timeshare

The annual fees for these are quite high for what you get. A gold 50K is around $960 per year for a 1 bedroom unit.

The initial price is free because they have 0 resale value.

There are lots of good domestic resorts that you can start with rather than jumping into a Mexican Right To Use til 2049 package.

We own several Mexican units, and none of ours costs as much per year as a Raintree.

jmho, Greg

Thanks,
WJ

rlblack

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The annual fees for these are quite high for what you get. A gold 50K is around $960 per year for a 1 bedroom unit.

The initial price is free because they have 0 resale value.

There are lots of good domestic resorts that you can start with rather than jumping into a Mexican Right To Use til 2049 package.

We own several Mexican units, and none of ours costs as much per year as a Raintree.

jmho, Greg

It appears to me- that fees for all members are not equal to equal points- might make a difference to when you purchased- what membership was purchased, how you paid- (cash,terms,upgrades) - I have no idea- But we have 140,000 points, it is not even close to twice the amount you listed. So far, although all fees increase, every year- ours are not unreasonable- but life is full of change.

I would say to anyone purchasing- they should do lots of due diligence- and decide what price is worth what to them, get all the facts as to rules and regulations, reviews of others that have stayed at resort, and determine if they will enjoy the resorts offered for the price - even nothing is too much if you will not enjoy your purchase.

rlblack

walleyejason

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Raintree, if your purchase the Platnuim membership, you get 80,000K points per year. Is the correct?

And are there additional fees for booking outside of your home resort?

walleyejason

TUG Member
Reaction score

jmho, Greg

Correct me if Im wrong but typically the strong trading domestic resorsts typicly are not free or cheap. atleast thats what I'd assume.

I'm assuming that there have been many topics abouyt strong trading domestic properties, but I'm assuming Disney/Vegas might be popular???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct me if Im wrong but typically the strong trading domestic resorsts typicly are not free or cheap. atleast thats what I'd assume.

Actually, you can get strong traders very inexpensively, because the market is so depressed.

I'm assuming that there have been many topics abouyt strong trading domestic properties, but I'm assuming Disney/Vegas might be popular???

Disney is far too expensive to use as a trader, and Las Vegas is a weak trader, because there are more than 30 timeshares in Las Vegas, so there is more supply than demand.

The best traders have reasonable maintenance fees, and they are at resorts/areas with low supply/high demand.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It appears to me- that fees for all members are not equal to equal points- might make a difference to when you purchased- what membership was purchased, how you paid- (cash,terms,upgrades) - I have no idea- But we have 140,000 points, it is not even close to twice the amount you listed. So far, although all fees increase, every year- ours are not unreasonable- but life is full of change.
The annual fees do not increase linearly with points. The more points you have the better the rate. I have often advised that the minimum Raintree level of ownership worth acquiring is Platinum (80,000 points per year). Anything less than that really isn't cost effective.
With Raintree, if your purchase the Platnuim membership, you get 80,000K points per year. Is the correct?

And are there additional fees for booking outside of your home resort?
Yes - 80,000 points per year.

Home resort means nothing. You use your points to book anything that is available in the Raintree system, with equal access to any resort on a points basis.

In that respect only it's a very simple system.