• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quick Question about Grand Chateau

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Are any of the 2BR units at Grand Chateau lockoffs? Or does only the 3BRs have lockoffs?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I guess I can answer my own question. I went to marriott.com and was able to see the 2 types of 2BR villas. I asked the question because I am looking to do an exchange and I can get an instant exchange for a 2BR, but the 2nd bedroom has 2 double beds. According to the blueprints on marriott.com, that looks to be the 2BR portion of a 3BR. I've stayed in the 3BR before and I found the angles in the kitchen and dining room to be weird and that area to be small and cramped, but the views were great (I think they were on the ends of the towers). I've also stayed in a 2BR lockoff which had better layouts - I like that the 2nd bedroom had a king and kitchenette, etc, but we did not get as good of views. Maybe luck of the draw?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are 2BR lockoffs. But there are no dedicated 2BRs, the only other type of 2BR is the master of a 3BR.

If you are looking at marriott.com the "2 Bedroom Villa, 2 King, Sofa beds: 2" - 1252sqft - is a lockoff 2BR. The "2 Bedroom Villa, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 2 Doubles, Sofa bed" - 1396sqft - is the master of a 3BR.

mvc vegas.jpg

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are any of the 2BR units at Grand Chateau lockoffs? Or does only the 3BRs have lockoffs?
We own a Grand Chateau 2 Bed Lock Off
We regularly locked off for well over 10 years and successfully traded Master and Guest Suites through Interval for 2 and even 3 Bed units at other MVC resorts.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I am on the hunt reasonably priced two bedroom lock-off at MGC. I am looking for a 2 bedroom L/O annual platinum unit.

I see them listed as both Two Kings; or King and Two Doubles.

The "2 Bedroom Villa, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 2 Doubles, Sofa bed" - 1396sqft - is the master of a 3BR.

Am I correct in understanding that all the for sale two bedrooms would be two king lock-off?
Based on the above it appears the King and 2 doubles is only available as part of a 3 bedroom unit.

I am buying as a value trader so I want to make sure I can lock off for two deposits.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I went to Marriott.com and pretended I wanted to rent from there, and it shows the available room types. When you click on the room type, it shows pictures, with the last one being a blueprint of the villa. The 2BR with king in the 2nd BR showed it to be a lockoff, with the 2nd BR having a sofa bed and kitchenette. The 2BR with 2 full-sized beds showed a room that was the 2BR portion of a 3BR.

I remember the 3BRs being on the corners. Can I assume they tend to have better views? Is that true, or did we just luck out when we traded for a 3BR years ago?

Is there any advantage to having the 2BR portion of a 3BR? (If the 2nd bedroom is for a couple). I only see disadvantages, but I got an instant exchange with a 1BR to trade so...

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on the hunt reasonably priced two bedroom lock-off at MGC. I am looking for a 2 bedroom L/O annual platinum unit.

I see them listed as both Two Kings; or King and Two Doubles. Am I correct in understanding that all the for sale two bedrooms would be two king lock-off?
Based on the above it appears the King and 2 doubles is only available as part of a 3 bedroom unit.

I am buying as a value trader so I want to make sure I can lock off for two deposits.
No idea...my response was based on the data at marriott.com which is not always an accurate source of MVC info.

That said, it shouldn't affect you at all since you are looking to trade both sides of the 2BR. It only matters if you intend to keep and then stay in one of the sides.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only non-lockoff 2BR is the 2BR portion of the 3BR lockoff. All other 2BR are lockoffs.

The 2BR portion of the 3BR has a King in the master and 2 doubles in the 2nd bedroom plus a pull-out coach in the living room. I just stayed in the full 3BR last week. Each tower has 1 3-BR villa per floor at the very end of the hallway. We stayed in Tower 1 and looked out on Elara, Planet Hollywood, and over toward the strip depending which window you were looking out of.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

I see them listed as both Two Kings; or King and Two Doubles.

Am I correct in understanding that all the for sale two bedrooms would be two king lock-off?

Any 2-BR ownership would be for a 2BR that could be locked-off into a 1BR and a studio to deposit into Interval. A 3-BR ownership locks off into a 2BR and a 1BR for deposit.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)

There are many who believe a 2 bedroom trading as a studio and 1 bedroom is a more cost effective trader than a 3 bedroom trading as a 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom. There is a compelling financial analysis that supports this. I am not one of them. I owned a 2 bedroom and sold it for a 3 bedroom. There is no doubt that owning a 3 bedroom has a higher MF. I only go after 2 bedrooms on a trade so when you account for upgrade fees, the 3 bedroom is about 550 more a year getting a little higher each year with MF increase. We tend to travel platinum season to beach locations so my following statement is based on my experience for what we trade for. The 2 bedroom/1 bedroom combination will get access to a greater span of platinum season sooner than the 1 bedroom// studio. To me, this benefit is worth the difference in cost. It may or may not be worth it to you. I am not counting the difference in cost between the 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom because I believe you will get back what you pay in both cases.

I just picked up a 3 bedroom EOY even on Redweek that I am waiting on ROFR. I am confident I will get it. I paid 1500, owe 1150 for 2024 MF and will get the 2024 week in which I had them book for November. With all fees, it will cost about 3300. Based on my experience, the two trades will get me 2 platinum weeks at the MGO in 2025. The MF for thev2 MGO weeks will be close to 4000, if it goes up 5 %. I consider this purchase free to me. If you believe this arguement or not doesn’t matter because my wife did so I am still married. BTW, I actually believe this. I will now own a 3 bedroom annual, a 3 bedroom EYO odd and even.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any 2-BR ownership would be for a 2BR that could be locked-off into a 1BR and a studio to deposit into Interval. A 3-BR ownership locks off into a 2BR and a 1BR for deposit.
Maybe. All 2 BR units should be lock off's but we have seen times where some resorts limited the number of units that could be locked off.
There are many who believe a 2 bedroom trading as a studio and 1 bedroom is a more cost effective trader than a 3 bedroom trading as a 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom. There is a compelling financial analysis that supports this. I am not one of them. I owned a 2 bedroom and sold it for a 3 bedroom. There is no doubt that owning a 3 bedroom has a higher MF. I only go after 2 bedrooms on a trade so when you account for upgrade fees, the 3 bedroom is about 550 more a year getting a little higher each year with MF increase. We tend to travel platinum season to beach locations so my following statement is based on my experience for what we trade for. The 2 bedroom/1 bedroom combination will get access to a greater span of platinum season sooner than the 1 bedroom// studio. To me, this benefit is worth the difference in cost. It may or may not be worth it to you. I am not counting the difference in cost between the 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom because I believe you will get back what you pay in both cases.

I just picked up a 3 bedroom EOY even on Redweek that I am waiting on ROFR. I am confident I will get it. I paid 1500, owe 1150 for 2024 MF and will get the 2024 week in which I had them book for November. With all fees, it will cost about 3300. Based on my experience, the two trades will get me 2 platinum weeks at the MGO in 2025. The MF for thev2 MGO weeks will be close to 4000, if it goes up 5 %. I consider this purchase free to me. If you believe this arguement or not doesn’t matter because my wife did so I am still married. BTW, I actually believe this. I will now own a 3 bedroom annual, a 3 bedroom EYO odd and even.
I straddle the fence. I believe the 3 BR is the better choice at GC IF one can get the unit price close enough for the 3 BR compared to a 2 BR. For the most part lately I've seen a large enough differential where I do not think it worth it though there was a TUGGER who picked one up recently at a price that clearly made it worth it. For GV, on the other hand, I feel it's generally not worth it unless one needs the 3 BR for usage. In many cases for both two 2 BR units can be a better choice than a 3 BR but one can make that case for GV more than GC.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
From what I understand the 3BR units are at the end of each wing and may have slightly better views of the strip depending on where one could be placed in a 2BR lock off. So the 2BR of the 3BR LO will also be at the ends of the wings.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the 3BR units are at the end of each wing and may have slightly better views of the strip depending on where one could be placed in a 2BR lock off. So the 2BR of the 3BR LO will also be at the ends of the wings.

Yes if you look at the resort plans the very end of each tower is the 3BR unit; then next is a dedicated 1BR unit on each side, and then 4- 2BR lockoffs- 2 on each side of the hallway.

At least in Towers 1 & 2. I have never seen floor plans for Tower 3 but my assumption is its the same as the first 2 towers.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe. All 2 BR units should be lock off's but we have seen times where some resorts limited the number of units that could be locked off.

Yes there are of course times when it may be limited- but the ownership would always have that ability. So as long as the owner plans ahead which is always the best course of action especially for trading!

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Your perspective does give me pause. My interest in MGC is as dedicated trader, and I am generally hunting for a 2 or 3 bedroom. I am generally looking for prime ski weeks, excluding peak school holidays. I have little interest in skiing when the hill is over run with people. Our other main interest is beach weeks outside of summer. We own a beach house on the east coast of Canada so we have little interest in summer travel.

Your point about factoring in the upgrade fees is valid as I am almost always trading into a 2 bedroom. That narrows the MF cost difference for sure. Exchange costs and other fees is why I am exiting my RCI unit and focusing my resources in II.

Interestingly the market for 3 bedrooms does seem rather reasonable. The demand on the 2 bedroom lock-offs in certainly greater.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your perspective does give me pause. My interest in MGC is as dedicated trader, and I am generally hunting for a 2 or 3 bedroom. I am generally looking for prime ski weeks, excluding peak school holidays. I have little interest in skiing when the hill is over run with people. Our other main interest is beach weeks outside of summer. We own a beach house on the east coast of Canada so we have little interest in summer travel.

Your point about factoring in the upgrade fees is valid as I am almost always trading into a 2 bedroom. That narrows the MF cost difference for sure. Exchange costs and other fees is why I am exiting my RCI unit and focusing my resources in II.

Interestingly the market for 3 bedrooms does seem rather reasonable. The demand on the 2 bedroom lock-offs in certainly greater.
I'm not sure anything will consistently get you prime ski weeks. If you're flexible and list all weeks or at lest shoulder weeks like January and March non Spring break you'll have more success. If you truly want prime ski weeks consistently I'd just buy one.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm not sure anything will consistently get you prime ski weeks. If you're flexible and list all weeks or at lest shoulder weeks like January and March non Spring break you'll have more success. If you truly want prime ski weeks consistently I'd just buy one.

If you are a skier , prime ski weeks are anything in January to March. I am no longer tied to school holidays and prefer to avoid them. Presidents day weekend and MLK weekend are the worst. I avoid those weeks.

My experience with my RCI points and SDO II traders has been nothing but positive. Examples are:

Whistler 2023 - two weeks February, including Presidents week (RCI Points). I still had 1 daughter in university so week 7 was unavoidable.
Steamboat Sheraton 2024 - 3rd week of Jan in a 3 bedroom unit that I traded for my small 1 bedroom SDO
Sheraton Mountainside 2025 (Beaver Creek) - 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom: again traded with my small 1 bedroom SDO

Trick is to plan ahead. This is part of my motivation to add an MGC 2 bedroom lock-out to obtain preference access to the Marriotts.

Aside from my Whistler two weeks, I found all of the above in manual searches.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a skier , prime ski weeks are anything in January to March. I am no longer tied to school holidays and prefer to avoid them. Presidents day weekend and MLK weekend are the worst. I avoid those weeks.

My experience with my RCI points and SDO II traders has been nothing but positive. Examples are:

Whistler 2023 - two weeks February, including Presidents week (RCI Points). I still had 1 daughter in university so week 7 was unavoidable.
Steamboat Sheraton 2024 - 3rd week of Jan in a 3 bedroom unit that I traded for my small 1 bedroom SDO
Sheraton Mountainside 2025 (Beaver Creek) - 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom: again traded with my small 1 bedroom SDO

Trick is to plan ahead. This is part of my motivation to add an MGC 2 bedroom lock-out to obtain preference access to the Marriotts.

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble getting January ski weeks at Timber Lodge, Sheraton Steamboat, and the Sheraton Ave resorts as long as you but in the trade request early. I have seen all of those resorts available for January 2025 in the last couple of weeks searching with my 1BR Harbor Lake week.

The Park City resorts are a tougher trade though not impossible. I traded into Summit Watch for Presidents week 2023. Only a 1BR though.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If you can do the entire season Jan through March except for those times you might be OK. If you're more restrictive, I wouldn't think so.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau

There's another current thread that should be helpful: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/marriott-grand-chateau-map.362709/

If you check the map in the first post of that thread, you can see the 3BR units (marked as yellow) at the end of Towers 1, 2, and 3. The orientation of the map is odd, however. I believe that North is to the left and Las Vegas Blvd (the "Strip") is at the bottom. So try to flip it 90 degrees clockwise in your head.

Here's another map that I have saved in my notes. It's much older, from even before Tower 3 was built. Tower 4 shows on the next map as planned, but it was never built. In the map below, the Strip is to the left side.

1712189803977.png

So the 2BR side of the 3BR unit in Tower 1 (the North tower) will have some view of the Strip (if you look out the window and to the left) but also overlooks Hilton Elara, across the street. Elara is steel and glass, and I think it's an attractive view because the glass reflects Grand Chateau. The 1BR side of the Tower 1 3BR has a pretty nice Strip view. When we get a 3BR unit, we like the 3BR in Tower 1, but the one downside is that we always seem to hear a lot of ambulances on the Harmon side.

The 2BR side of the 3BR unit in Tower 2 should have some view of the more southern portion of the Strip and also may overlook the Las Vegas airport? I'm less sure about the 1BR side's view - is it the airport? Please don't quote me on this because we haven't stayed in a Tower 2 3BR in quite a few years because I'm not a big fan of overlooking an airport. But if you enjoy watching planes, this might be for you.

We have never stayed in a Tower 3 3BR.

I think you'll also notice from this map that the odd numbered 2BR units in Towers 1 and 2 will have nice views of the Strip. Even numbered 2BR units in these towers will have window views away from the Strip. Once again, I can't say anything about Tower 3 because we've never stayed in that section.

Last edited: