• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions re: Point at Poipu deeded weeks

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deeded weeks not enrolled in The Club trade through what is called "Traditional Destination Exchange" as shown in the previous post. Weeks and Collections in The Club trade through "Destionation Exchange." Point at Poipu weeks do show up in the Traditional Destination Exchange. If you can book far in advance, Traditional Destination Exchange is great.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
When you don't want to use you week in any given year, you can deposit it in the Xchange program, and then book it at Point at Poipu later in a future year. It will cost $145 to book it through the Xchange program. If you want to book it in the original year of usage, it won't cost anything extra. It looks like they changed the menu on the web site. To book a deeded week, it used to say "book traditional week", now it just says "book my week".

1641901345223.png

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I'm bumping this thread back up because we did buy that deeded week and at long last, the transfer is complete, and I have access to an account to start figuring out how it all works. We paid the MF for 2022, and the seller reserved a week in our name for the end of November.

The deed was represented to us as "Floating/Floating" although the estoppel specified week 43 in Unit 3-405, which on the map is designated Ocean Front. Of course I understand that deeds represent real property, so have to be specific.

But looking at our Ownership Summary on the DRI website, it confirms week 43, and says our unit type is Ocean Front. Does that mean we have reservation rights for ocean front? And does this put us in Tier 6 as far as exchanges go?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
But looking at our Ownership Summary on the DRI website, it confirms week 43, and says our unit type is Ocean Front. Does that mean we have reservation rights for ocean front? And does this put us in Tier 6 as far as exchanges go?
I'm fairly certain both answers are yes (but could be wrong). Presuming it's OF, it'll be tier 6 in DeX. You can also go through the motions of "depositing" the unit. When you click on Deposit, it'll tell you the tier value; you can then confirm or cancel.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm bumping this thread back up because we did buy that deeded week and at long last, the transfer is complete, and I have access to an account to start figuring out how it all works. We paid the MF for 2022, and the seller reserved a week in our name for the end of November.

The deed was represented to us as "Floating/Floating" although the estoppel specified week 43 in Unit 3-405, which on the map is designated Ocean Front. Of course I understand that deeds represent real property, so have to be specific.

Congrats! Glad to hear that the transfer is complete. Since your usage is float/float, the specified week in the estoppel is just for housekeeping purposes. If you pay the small fee to the county, you can get a copy of your deed and it should mention that week and unit, and should also describe that it is float/float usage. You should be able to book ocean front for any week subject to availability. If ocean front is not available for the week you want, you can also book a different view. If you want ocean front it's best to try booking 360 days in advance. Ocean front is tier 6 for exchanges through the Diamond Xchange program.

1658876035033.png

You should also log into the web site to confirm that the previous owner's reservation carried over to you.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
You should also log into the web site to confirm that the previous owner's reservation carried over to you.
That was the first thing I did after registering! The seller used a full service listing at Redweek, and I have to say the agent was not very attentive at multiple points along the way.

That reservation was one of the things that almost slipped through the cracks. The seller booked it before we signed the contract in mid-January. In mid-April when escrow closed, I blithely tried to register at DRI, only to find out that we weren't owners until Diamond said we were owners, and that meant receiving and processing the paperwork which can take "weeks". The one good deed the rep did was to tell me that it was possible that a reservation sitting in the seller's account might disappear if it didn't have our names on it. So back I went to Redweek support. A couple of days later, the agent gets back to me with "Oh yes, we were supposed to do that after contract signed and payment made, weren't we? I'll try.... " Luckily the seller was responsive and added our names when the agent contacted her.

And then, after two more months of waiting to hear, I contact Diamond title transfer again. No record that they ever got the papers! The title company sent them Fedex overnight, tracking showed that a DRI employee signed for them. But Diamond had moved their corporate offices to a different address in Orlando the month prior. And yes, of course they had a system for transferring mail received at the old office to the new office. But somehow our paperwork never arrived at the new office. Not their problem, the papers will have to be sent again. Along with the transfer fee check. Of course. I felt impatient about the extra cost involved in having to use a Hawaii-based title company, but they had to go above and beyond with this one.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The unit and deed number mean nothing. If you dig into the timeshare program documents, they are explicit that the owner for that unit and week does not have any specific rights to use the unit.

What is important is what use category the deed is assigned to, which will be in the documents that are part of the deed.

There are five use categories:

Unrestricted - also called float/float. An owner in this use category can reserve any available unit at the resort, regardless of view category.
Ocean Front - can reserve any available ocean front unit.
Ocean View - can reserve any available ocean view unit
Partial Ocean View - can reserve any available partial ocean view unit
Garden View - can reserve any available garden view unit.

Each unit at the resort is assigned to one of those view categories. I believe that there is a resort map showing view categories in the Point at Poipu timeshare review.

The unrestricted (float/float) deeds were the first ones sold at the resort. After sales had been underway for awhile, the developer changed so that sales were associated with specific view categories. Sales made to view categories have an underlying deed that is for a unit in that specific view categories.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I may have this wrong so do not panic yet.

I read somewhere that when you buy a resale DRI week any pending weeks and points for that year that you haven't used are forfeited. Please check to may sure that your Nov week is still there.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I read somewhere that when you buy a resale DRI week any pending weeks and points for that year that you haven't used are forfeited. Please check to may sure that your Nov week is still there.
That did not happen to me when I purchased my resale unit in 2020. We closed in September 2020, and I was able to use the 2020 week.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ach unit at the resort is assigned to one of those view categories. I believe that there is a resort map showing view categories in the Point at Poipu timeshare review.
Here's the resort map with the view categories. It's old, but it hasn't changes.

2013-01-22%2021-41-36_0001-X3.jpg

Anyone looking to buy a resale deeded week should be aware that there are a few units sold as fixed week/fixed unit. You still have to call to reserve it, but you're guaranteed to get the same unit and week every year (except if it's being renovated). One year they accidently booked the 2nd week of our two weeks in a fixed week/fixed unit. They kindly asked us to move and offered compensation, so we relocated after our first week. The only hassle was moving all the stuff in the fridge stored in their containers. We had to find matching empty containers from our new unit to move back to the old one. As nice as the staff has always been there, we didn't want them to get in trouble for the mistake they made.

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Interesting and helpful. I suspect a fair number of current deed owners don't really know how their deeds are framed.

And I can't help but wonder how HGVC will make sense of this as they think about whether to rebrand Point at Poipu into their top tier Grand Vacation designation?
Hi Maggie, there was another post somewhere in TUG last week that the P@P is going to be rebranded. That just went out to owners.

Link to Point at Poipu Rebranding on TUG

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone looking to buy a resale deeded week should be aware that there are a few units sold as fixed week/fixed unit.
Yeah - fixed week sales were part of the initial sales program. As I understand, most of those sales were ocean front units in Building 6, and were holiday season weeks (usually Christmas and New Years).

Unit 6-404 is a three bedroom unit, and was sold entirely as fixed week, fixed unit. Unit 6-402 is also a three-bedroom unit, but has always been used a sales office, with Sunterra, then Diamond, and now HGV (presumably) having the only ownership in that unit. Unit 6-403 is also used a sales office (for existing owner updates). I don't know if that means that Diamond has held of the deeds for the unit, or if they just manage the reservation system so that Diamond occupies that unit exclusively.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah - fixed week sales were part of the initial sales program.
When we checked in for the last two weeks of February, they put us in 8-404, which had a great view. We could watch the turtles in the cove from the lanai. At the end of the first week, they asked us to move to 8-304 because 8-404 was a fixed week for the next week. It had a good view, but we couldn't see the turtles unless they were swimming further out in the ocean. They did give us a $200 dinner certificate which we used at Keoki's Paradise. Between dinners, drinks, and desserts for 4, it was almost free. :whooopie: