• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions re: Point at Poipu deeded weeks

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
We are considering acquiring a deeded week for Point at Poipu. I have read the FAQs and other information I could glean here in the forums, but still have a couple of questions.
  • It looks like Diamond's Club members have different point costs depending on whether it is High Season or Peak Season. Do deeded weeks have an assigned season?
  • Can you "save" an unused week into the following year? Can you "borrow" next year's week?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
You have to check the estoppel letter, but most deeded weeks are float/float, meaning you can book any week and any room category, subject to availability. There are some fixed week/fixed unit number deeds, but those are rare. For a short period of time they were selling floating week/fixed category deeds, meaning that if it was ocean view category, you couldn't use it to book ocean front. You also have to check if it's every year, or every odd or even year. Normally, you have to use it the same year, and can't borrow or save between years. However, they do have the DEX exchange program that gives you more flexibility. You can also join the RCI or Interval International exchange programs.

We always book 360 days in advance, which is the maximum, and we've always been able to get oceanfront in February. We've stayed there every year since 2004, and never wanted to borrow, save, or exchange our weeks.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Thank you, Art! That is very helpful, although not quite what I was expecting.

We are currently on Kauai, leaving tomorrow. We've been staying at Kauai Beach Villas in Lihue, where the view is deeded. We drove out to Point at Poipu this morning and walked around to get a feel for the place. It was a positive impression overall. In looking at listings, some are advertised as "oceanfront", but based on your 18 years of experience, it sounds like the deed doesn't guarantee that in most cases. So early booking is the key to best view units.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I got this view on II exchange during Christmas week, I was told at the front desk it's Oceanfront, not sure if it's true. But nice view.

DSC08206.jpg

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the maintenance fees for the deeded 2 bedroom weeks at Point at Poipu?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What are the maintenance fees for the deeded 2 bedroom weeks at Point at Poipu?
$1858.92/year. Much less than for the 15,500 points you'd need to book a week with an oceanfront view.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So early booking is the key to best view units.
Absolutely. There really aren't any units with bad views except the couple of them facing the lobby area. Last year, because of the pandemic, we had to make a last minute change from February to August. We couldn't get an oceanfront, but the ocean view unit was quite nice.

2021-08-09%2008-00-43-X4.jpg

Here's some pictures we've taken at P@P over the years, some of which show the room views.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got this view on II exchange during Christmas week, I was told at the front desk it's Oceanfront, not sure if it's true. But nice view.

View attachment 44952
Were you in 9-205? If so, it is oceanfront, but not one of the best views. This is an old map, but the view categories haven't changed.
2013-01-22%2021-41-36_0001-X3.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We drove out to Point at Poipu this morning and walked around to get a feel for the place. It was a positive impression overall. In looking at listings, some are advertised as "oceanfront", but based on your 18 years of experience, it sounds like the deed doesn't guarantee that in most cases. So early booking is the key to best view units.
The situation at Point at Poipu is complicated, and I'll provide a simple overview, as long as you recognize that there devils that lurk in the details.

When the resort originally started sales, there were not categories. Everything was floating. You bought a deed, and that gave you the right to reserve any available week at the resort.

After a short time with the sales program, the developer decided to create view categories for different units at the resort, with different pricing assigned to each view category and each specific unit at the resort assigned to a view category. The view categories were ocean front, ocean view, partial ocean view, and garden view.

So that resulted in five types of deeds at the resort. The early sales, which do have any view category assigned. And then the later sales which are assigned to one of the specific view categories. So if you purchase a deed, you need to know which of those five categories the deed belongs to. Because that establishes the reservation right associated with the deed.

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own two deeded weeks at the Point. Ours are float/float but in our case, the suite floats and the week floats but the view is set at Ocean View. We are also part of the Club and receive 11,500 points for each week. Our contract says we can book any suite in the Ocean View for 11,500 points. Because of the Club we can rollover one years’ worth of points (or any lesser amount) to the next year. There is something about barrowing points, but I don’t know the details of doing this. We have never tried to book a Peek Week which are list for more points for 11,500.

As others have stated, you have to pay a lot of attention to what you are buying. There are many combinations and variations of deeds at the Point. You may not be able to join the Club anymore (check on this). As someone else mentioned, DEX is available. Not quite as flexible but it's something.

We bought our deeds in 2005 and continue to enjoy going to the resort and using our points for other locations as well.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ours are float/float but in our case, the suite floats and the week floats but the view is set at Ocean View.
If the view is set, it is "float", not "float/float". "Float/float" means the usage floats as to week and floats as to view category. As indicated in my prior thread, all float/float deeds are from the original sales program, before view categories were established.

"float/float" weeks get 10,000 points when added to the Club (equivalent to partial ocean view). Our Club agreement says that we can book any unit any week at Poipu with 10,000 points we get at the Club. We can roll over the points to next year, but if we do that, they become ordinary points. That means that I cannot book two ocean front units for 10,000 points each within the same year.

Last edited:

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Interesting and helpful. I suspect a fair number of current deed owners don't really know how their deeds are framed.

And I can't help but wonder how HGVC will make sense of this as they think about whether to rebrand Point at Poipu into their top tier Grand Vacation designation?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just for some more history of how complicated it is, We bought our first week from Sunterra in 2004. The deed is floating week/oceanfront view. They included Club membership and gave us 15,500 points so we'd have enough to book oceanfront. If we ever sell the deed to non-relative, the Club membership will not go with it. In the following years we bought two resale float/float deeds that we've always used to book oceanfront. If you're buying resale, be sure to ask the seller for an estoppel letter (costs about $40). It will show exactly what the usage is, the loan amount remaining, the annual MF, and any balance remaining on the MF. Diamond will not allow transfer of a deed unless all balances are $0.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering whether The Point at Poipu and Ka'anapali Beach Club would be taken out of "The Club" and if they are added to the Hilton point system. This is really a separate question from the original post - but related to Point at Poipu... Does anyone have any knowledge about rules for The Club with Diamond? My sense is that the rules probably state that anything can be revoked for The Club at any time.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I have been wondering whether The Point at Poipu and Ka'anapali Beach Club would be taken out of "The Club" and if they are added to the Hilton point system. This is really a separate question from the original post - but related to Point at Poipu... Does anyone have any knowledge about rules for The Club with Diamond? My sense is that the rules probably state that anything can be revoked for The Club at any time.

There has been a bit of discussion on whether these resorts (or any properties) can be removed from the collection or trust. No one knows but the prevailing thought is they can’t.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a bit of discussion on whether these resorts (or any properties) can be removed from the collection or trust. No one knows but the prevailing thought is they can’t.
I get that the trusts can't have anything removed because it's a trust, but The Club is just an internal exchange system for Diamond resorts where they convert a resort into a specific number of points based on unit size/week of the year. Hilton could stop putting unsold weeks into The Club and move the unsold weeks into a different system. Anyway - there is no way to know what will happen until it happens. :) It does look like the joining of Diamond and Hilton will move faster than the joining of Marriott/Vistana. That has been years, and nothing has yet changed...

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get that the trusts can't have anything removed because it's a trust, but The Club is just an internal exchange system for Diamond resorts where they convert a resort into a specific number of points based on unit size/week of the year. Hilton could stop putting unsold weeks into The Club and move the unsold weeks into a different system. Anyway - there is no way to know what will happen until it happens. :) It does look like the joining of Diamond and Hilton will move faster than the joining of Marriott/Vistana. That has been years, and nothing has yet changed...
Unsold weeks are rent by DRI on its website https://www.diamondresortsandhotels.com/ and they are not available in THE Club.
Platinum (50,000+ pts) and Centum (100,000+ pts) members have access to some portion of this unsold developer inventory at 14 months for 30 days (see section 6.4 of https://cmsprod.diamondresorts.com/sites/default/files/us-member-benefits-book-combined_24.pdf).

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Club is just an internal exchange system for Diamond resorts where they convert a resort into a specific number of points based on unit size/week of the year. Hilton could stop putting unsold weeks into The Club and move the unsold weeks into a different system.
As noted by Youppi, Diamond doesn't put any unsold weeks in the Club, though they could put some inventory in there if they choose to do so.

The way the Club works is that when an owner joins the Club, they surrender to the Club whatever reservation rights are associated with whatever properties they put into the Club. In exchange, the owner receives the assigned points. So if you put a deed into the Club., the Club now has the reservation rights that are associated with the deed. If you have points in one the trusts/Collections, those points are now exercised by the Club. So the inventory available in the Club is simply the aggregate of all of the ownerships that have been assigned.

When an owner exits the Club, their reservation rights go back to that owner. So the concept of Diamond adding weeks to the Club really doesn't fit. Further, since Diamond is paying annual fees on the deeds that it owns, they generally prefer to rent their inventory to recoup their costs or perhaps make some of it available for promotional or public relations purposes. For example, when someone purchases a sampler package, that usage is going to come out of Diamond's owned inventory, not out of the Club.

That's not to say that they don't do some inventory swaps with the Club. I'm sure that they do; that likely is part of inventory management for the Sampler program.

Last edited:

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted by Youppi, Diamond doesn't put any unsold weeks in the Club, though they could put some inventory in there if they choose to do so.

The way the Club works is that when an owner joins the Club, they surrender to the Club whatever reservation rights are associated with whatever properties they put into the Club. In exchange, the owner receives the assigned points. So if you put a deed into the Club., the Club now has the reservation rights that are associated with the different. If you have points in one the trusts/Collections, those points are now exercised by the Club. So the inventory available in the Club is simply the aggregate of all of the ownerships that have been assigned.

When an owner exits the Club, their reservation rights go back to that owner. So the concept of Diamond adding weeks to the Club really doesn't fit. Further, since Diamond is paying annual fees on the deeds that it owns, they generally prefer to rent their inventory to recoup their costs or perhaps make some of it available for promotional or public relations purposes. For example, when someone purchases a sampler package, that usage is going to come out of Diamond's owned inventory, not out of the Club.

That's not to say that they don't do some inventory swaps with the Club. I'm sure that they do; that likely is part of inventory management for the Sampler program.
Thank you! This all makes sense. Not sure why I didn't realize this is how it works...

So if Hilton opened up HGVC to Kaanapali and Poipu deeded owners, those owners could take their deeded weeks out of The Club and put them into the HGVC points system. The next few years will be very interesting for both Diamond and HGVC owners.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you! This all makes sense. Not sure why I didn't realize this is how it works...

So if Hilton opened up HGVC to Kaanapali and Poipu deeded owners, those owners could take their deeded weeks out of The Club and put them into the HGVC points system. The next few years will be very interesting for both Diamond and HGVC owners.
We'll have to see how this all works out. I expect that there will be two separate HGVC and HGV ownership classes, per the graphic below:

1641791391921.png

What I think would be wild is if Hilton decided to peel out the Hawaii Collection (which is more than Hawaii - it's actually the more "upscale" portions of the DRI portfolio) and brand them as Embassy Embassy Vacation Resorts - positioned between HGVC and the presumed HVC.

Last edited:

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Bay Club in Waikoloa was our gateway into time sharing - we bought it on eBay 5 years ago shortly after attending a HGVC pitch that capped off one of those “5 days on Big Island and a rental car” promotions. I had come across the TUG forums while doing research beforehand, so we were well prepared. :cool:
Anyway, Bay Club is an affiliate, managed by HGVC. Some folks just want to go to Bay Club every year, and never enroll. We paid $600 per week to enroll for HGVC points that could be used anywhere within the Hilton system with Bay Club as our home resort. I could see a model like that working for deeded owners at higher-end DRI resorts like Point at Poipu. But who knows what they will decide to do?

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
There are many combinations and variations of deeds at the Point. You may not be able to join the Club anymore
My understanding, from reading the FAQs here, is that Club membership does not transfer with resale, and that is fine with us. If we do this, it will be about having regular access to Point at Poipu, not about joining Diamond's Club.
DEX is available
Is Dex available to deeded resale owners?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My understanding, from reading the FAQs here, is that Club membership does not transfer with resale, and that is fine with us. If we do this, it will be about having regular access to Point at Poipu, not about joining Diamond's Club.

I believe DEX is only available to Club Members. If you're not in the Club, you can make exchanges through almost any exchange company, including RCI, II, and SFX.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I believe DEX got started as a way for week owners to be able to exchange and go to other DRI Resorts. Then when it expanded, DRI sort of withdrew from II. They definitely stopped,paying our II Membership Fees.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have 2 deeded weeks I bought through resale. I also have a deeded week in the Club that lets me book with points. The site has separate menu options for "Traditional Destination Exchange" which is for deeded weeks, and Destination Xchange which is for Club Points. I have never used DEX to book anything, but I have used the web site to go through the motions as far as clicking the button. Both types of ownership let me get as far as clicking the bookit button.

1641879431004.png