• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions on a few days in Beijing, China

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Bhutan next fall. The trip is with a small group (16 people max) and everything is handle by our tour guide. The tour starts and ends in Bangkok, Thailand. Doing some investigating into flights to Bangkok, I've found that some go through Beijing. So we thought we might spend a few days there. I have some questions about doing this:

- Do you need a visa? If so, how do you get it?
- How easy is it to get around if you're on your own and don't know the language?
- What sights would you recommend seeing if you had just a few days?
- Would it be better/easier to sign up with tours to see the sights rather than trying to do this on your own?
- Would a small hand-held "language translation" computer help?
- How do you deal with "money". Should you get Chinese money before you go? Are credit cards accepted widely? by cab drivers for instance? do they accept US dollars?

A previous thread is covering hotels in Beijing, so that answers another questions. Any information will help. I am a little apprehensive about doing this on our own mainly about the language. We've been to countries where we didn't know the language but we were able to look things up in a language dictionary. In China, I'm not sure we would be able to do this. Any help is appreciated.

JillChang

Reaction score
Dollie said:
- Do you need a visa? If so, how do you get it?
- How easy is it to get around if you're on your own and don't know the language?
- What sights would you recommend seeing if you had just a few days?
- Would it be better/easier to sign up with tours to see the sights rather than trying to do this on your own?
- Would a small hand-held "language translation" computer help?
- How do you deal with "money". Should you get Chinese money before you go? Are credit cards accepted widely? by cab drivers for instance? do they accept US dollars?

A previous thread is covering hotels in Beijing, so that answers another questions. Any information will help. I am a little apprehensive about doing this on our own mainly about the language. We've been to countries where we didn't know the language but we were able to look things up in a language dictionary. In China, I'm not sure we would be able to do this. Any help is appreciated.
- Yes, your need a VISA. US does not allow Chinese to visit US without a VISA, therefore, US citizens need VISA to visit China. It is alway reciprocal. You need to go to Chinese Embassy. Obviously, there is one in Washington, but you can call and see if there is a consulate near you.
- China remains one of the country where English is not learned and NOT understood by 99.99% of population. With the exception of hotel (upscale only) staff, virtually no one speaks English, no taxi driver will understand you
- Great wall of China, Imperial Palace, Summer Palace, etc.
- Even visiting Chinese from US and Canada signs up with tours, very few try to make it on their own. China has many dialects, we don't always speack the same language. I can't imagine you doing it on your own unless you speak Mandarin. Many of my friends speak only Cantonese and they will not try to do it on their own. You SHOULD sign up for tour, or hire a translator. You should be able to find a translator for $100-$200 RMB a day (12 to 25 USD), ask the hotel for help. BUT can you really trust a translator? I wouldn't, therefore, a TOUR.
- Hand held computer will not help, it translate funny.
- Finally, PLEASE......., you are visiting a powerful Asian country where the government doesn't think much of United States of America, what makes you think the 2 billions Chinese will take US Dollars? No, US dollars is not accepted. With the exception of hotel, credit card is not accepted ANY WHERE. The only currency in china is Chinese RMB. YOu can exchange at the airport or with your hotel, with limits each day. You must present your passport when you exchange money, locals are not allowed to exchange US dollars. you have to keep your receipt so if you have left-over RMB, you can change it back to US dollars.

I hope I don't offend you, I am Canadian Chinese. In Canada, we are multi-cultural, so we are very in tuned with other countries' cultures and customs. I find this is not the case with average Americans. China is a powerful country, and has its own culture not influence by anyone. It has a strong government that really doesn't care what other country thinks. Although you will find average Chinese friendly to you because you are foreigner, please do not confuse that by thinking they will bent backward to please you. English, and US currency are not accepted. It is China, thererore, they speak Chinese and use chinese currency. Please do some more research before you visit.

BTW, tipping is not necessary in China.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with most of what Jill said, but let me add a few comments as a non-Chinese speaking American.

You definitely have to pay with Chinese currency, but you can simply use an ATM machine to get some. I brought traveler's checks in US dollars with me, and was able to get a bank to change them. However, exchanging traveler's checks was a hassle, and just getting money from a cash machine was easier. Check with your bank to see if you can use their ATM cards in China.

I tried going to the Great Wall on my own using public transportation, and it was a major hassle, given that I speak maybe 10 words of Chinese, if that. However, I survived, I did get there and back, and now I have an adventure to talk about!

To get around by yourself in Beijing, the easiest way is to have an English-speaking person write your destination in Chinese characters, and then take a cab. I did this a lot. Pointing at a map also works, but make sure you have a map or something that shows the location of your hotel for when you are returning.

I agree with Jill that the Great Wall, Forbidden City (Imperial Palace), and Summer Palace are great things to see. Tiananmen Square and Mao's tomb are right outside the Imperial Palace complex. I also liked the Yong He Gong (a large Buddhist Temple.) There is very good shopping in Beijing.

Also, the weather is Beijing is very hot in the summer, and very cold in the winter. Make sure you bring approproiate clothes.

Bottom line -- Beijing is a fascinating city and I'm glad I went. I did go around on my own, despite not speaking or reading Chinese, but a tour would be far, far, easier.

JillChang

Reaction score
Judy,

I admire your attempt at taking public transportation to the Great Wall! I would not try that. The easier way is to hire a taxi for the day, the hotel can arrange one for you, the taxi will wait for you when you finish climbing the great wall. It shouldn't cost you much more than 200 rmb for the day, be sure to negotiate. When I was in Hangzhou, I hired a private car and driver for 5 hours, cost me 150 rmb (20 USD), and the car was a mercedes e-class. Having said that, please only use a private car arranged by the hotel, not one that approach you from the street. Although Beijing is a relatively safe city, you don't want them to take you for a ride at some tourist trap.

I had difficulty taking out money at the ATM machine in China because they use different number of digits than we do in Canada. I also admire judy's attempt at exchanging money at a bank, Chinese banks are not for the faint of heart, people will just cut right in front of you even though you are in the middle of a transaction in front of the teller. Exchanging money at the hotel is easy and simple, giving the same exchange rate.

Again, I can't stress enough signing up for a tour, there are many land tour only, some major Asian airlines offer it, such as Cathay Pacific, or try your local Chinese travel agency, they usually have very very good tours at a very good price.

Shopping for fakes are fun in Beijing, and it is an entire building devoted just for this, ask your hotel for direction. Here you can find aanything from watch, t-shirt, shoes, bags, to suit. Vendors here do speak some English, but take only Chinese currency. Be sure to start bargaining at 10 to 20% of asking price and persist, paying no more than 25% of asking price. A watch can be bought from 100 RMB (rolex, breitlin, movado, cartier, etc, etc.), an Armani suit, 400 RMB, polo shirts, 3 for 100 RMB (12 dollars), Nike shoes, another 100 RMB. Prada or Boss jacket/coat, 100 RMB. Fake bags (lv, chanel, christian dior, valenciaga, you name it), 100 rmb and up, always ask for A quality, the ones trim with real leather, those go for 400 rmb.

Have fun.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, Jill! I hope to go back to China, and I will see about getting a car w/ driver for the day.

I've heard about other people having similar problems with ATM cards -- the PIN number was the wrong number of digits. Some banks can assign a second PIN number, which will be the right length for the country one is traveling to. My ATM card had a 4-digit PIN, and it worked fine.

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. You've convinced me that a stop-over in Beijing is not going to work. We'll stop in Tokyo instead and leave China for its own trip.

JillChang

Reaction score
I was in Tokyo this last Summer as well. Although most Japanese do not speack English, all their subway and train signs have English, so I got around just fine. You will find it easier to get around Tokyo than China, a good guide book is recommended and is all you need. I used Lonly planet and Frommer's.

I use hote.com to book Tokyo Prince Hotel for a great price. Great location, roomy too.

Good Luck

yan19454

Reaction score
Jill:

I want to go to BKK and Guangzhou and Tokyo this summer, too. Do you take tour in HKG or use airline stay over and fly in and out ?

Thanks.

Frances

JillChang

Reaction score
yan19454 said:
Jill:

I want to go to BKK and Guangzhou and Tokyo this summer, too. Do you take tour in HKG or use airline stay over and fly in and out ?

Thanks.

Frances

I was flying Star Alliance, and their hub in Asia is Tokyo, I did not stay in HK. During that trip I change plane in Tokyo to Taiwan, then on to Shanghai, Beijing, Hanzghou, then back to Tokyo for my stop over, I stayed a week in Tokyo.

Your hub will depend on your airline, if you fly Cathay, then it is HK. When I was back for a business trip to Shanghai via HK, I stay in HK for 3 days to attend a trade show. Best deal I got was JW Marriott I reserved on Hotel.com and then Marriott matched it plus another 25% discount, so around 1500 HK dollars. There is no need to take tour in HK as almost everyone speaks English (and Chinese). Cathay sometimes have specials in HK hotel, but my deal was so good, that even my travel agents was surprised (because it was prime convention time).

My trip to China this time, I am bypassing HK completely and flying directly to Shanghai. I find there is no advantage staying over HK (unless you are visiting friends or family), food is better in Shanghai, and well, so is sightseeing. Plus HK hotel is just too expensive.

If I have to choose a stop-over city, I will choose Tokyo again. It is much more interesting than HK.

So if you are going to Tokyo, why not choose Tokyo as your hub? you can fly directly from Japan (both tokyo and Osaka I think) directly to guanzhou, and definitely to BKK. I will avoid staying over in HK and arrange a short stop over in HK airport if necessary. Unless of course you want to visit HK.

In Tokyo, their train is truly amazing, not only on time to the seconds, you line up at precisely the door you suppose to enter. So what that means is you can time your trip perfectly. I left from Kyoto to Tokyo airport on the same date, 2 hours train to Tokyo and I did not have to worry about delays or anything, made it at precisely the time I should.

What that means is you can fly in to Tokyo, sightseeing and make your way down to Osaka, and then fly from Osaka to Guanzhou. From Guanzhou, fly to BKK, and here I highly recommend you stop over Shanghai, not HK. That's how I would do it. You might want to explore travelling by train from Guanzhou to Shanghai. I don't know if it available on that route, but I travel from Shanghai to Beijing on the first class sleeper train, and it was relaxing and very safe, (just be prepared for the large crowd at train station), I would do that rather than fly.

Good luck and have fun.