• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions about the Imperial in Honolulu

PrettyKitties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha kākou

As part of our 3 week trip to Hawai'i in March, we will be spending a week in O'ahu at the Imperial. I traded into the unit through RCI & had to book a Thur to Thur even though we will be staying at our prior stop, Maui, until Friday. I booked a Palm unit and will be with my 23 YO daughter.

My questions:

It is my understanding that units are assigned as you check in. Which probably means I'll get the worst unit since I'm checking in a day late? (I do plan on calling to let them know I'm coming in a day late.)

Can exchangers use the Owner's Lounge? I've seen conflicting information on this.

How much is it to do laundry? Any problems getting washers & dryers? I'll be taking Purex 3 in 1's with us, so detergent will be no problem.

I plan on renting a car on two days only (a Saturday for shopping & on a Tuesday for exploring) ... does the garage charge per day or per 24 hours? I anticipate picking up the cars (Thrifty Waikiki) in the a.m. & returning them the next a.m., which will mean I'll need to park overnight.

Anything else I need to know or tips on staying at the Imperial? I understand the units are dated and small, but that's fine as long as they're clean.

Another ? -- is there a way for printing boarding passes?

Mahalo! I'm SO excited about our trip! :banana:

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Aloha kākou

As part of our 3 week trip to Hawai'i in March, we will be spending a week in O'ahu at the Imperial. I traded into the unit through RCI & had to book a Thur to Thur even though we will be staying at our prior stop, Maui, until Friday. I booked a Palm unit and will be with gmy 23 YO daughter.

My questions:

It is my understanding that units are assigned as you check in. Which probably means I'll get the worst unit since I'm checking in a day late? (I do plan on calling to let them know I'm coming in a day late.)

Can exchangers use the Owner's Lounge? I've seen conflicting information on this.

How much is it to do laundry? Any problems getting washers & dryers? I'll be taking Purex 3 in 1's with us, so detergent will be no problem.

I plan on renting a car on two days only (a Saturday for shopping & on a Tuesday for exploring) ... does the garage charge per day or per 24 hours? I anticipate picking up the cars (Thrifty Waikiki) in the a.m. & returning them the next a.m., which will mean I'll need to park overnight.

Anything else I need to know or tips on staying at the Imperial? I understand the units are dated and small, but that's fine as long as they're clean.

Another ? -- is there a way for printing boarding passes?

Mahalo! I'm SO excited about our trip! :banana:

I just posted a lengthy review of the Imperial from our stay last week. Call a week or so ahead and ask for Tony. He can assist with your unit assignment. They have check-ins every day, so you coming in a day late shouldn't be a problem. Exchangers do have access to the Owner's Lounge, and it's gorgeous. The views from there are the best in the building. But unless you'll be hanging out in the room all day, the room view is less of an issue. Go up to the Owner's Lounge for the best views. Valet parking is in and out, for about $20 a day, I think. It's easy znd worthwhile. Laundry was empty every time I checked during our week, so you should have no problem. Free use PC at the Front Desk so you can print boardibg passes.

Read my review -- the Imperial is fine, for an urban hotel kind of place. Have fun!

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Check the new review for the Imperial in the reviews section. Dave just posted
One, he was there over the new year. He's a new owner and this was his first
Stay. He did say in the review that exchangers have access to the owners
Lounge. He mention parking,valet only. The location of the Imperial is great.
You and your daughter will have a great time.

We must have been typing our answers at the same time,

Last edited:

PrettyKitties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, your review was very helpful. It sounds like I expected, an older building, but maintained & a great location. You're right, we probably won't be spending much time in the unit, we have a full week planned. If I like my stay, I might try & buy in if I can find something at the right price.

Slip, I think I might have to keep a close eye on my daughter in Waikiki! She's probably going to go gaga over the shopping & nightlife!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
One thing there is no shortage of in Waikiki is shopping. I'm taking my daughter
To Hawaii for the first time in a month and I know she's going to love it. Your
Daughter will too.:D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I bought my unit off eBay for only a few dollars. The bargains are definitely out there. Do your homework, and make sure the unit you're getting is the one you want.

If you go to the Island World Realty website you can see the layout per floor, and learn more about the units. (But don't necessarily buy from them, unless it suits your budget. Ebay worked very well for me, and the Seller paid for most of the costs.) http://www.islandworldrealty.com/suites/index.html

The Palm has a bedroom with private bath, and in the living room there's a Murphy bed and a pull-out sofa, plus a second bath. It's definitely a smaller space, but perfect sleeping accommodations for 2-4 people. That's what we own, and it was fine for two. There are (I think) four Palm units on each floor.

The Koa units are the 1br 2ba units at the makai end of the building, two per floor. I couldn't justify the increased MFs for them, because the space is similar to the Palm, even though the views are better on the upper floors. I learned that if I wanted a better view, head up to the Owner's Lounge.

The Hala units are 2br 2ba, but frankly, other than adding a second bedroom, they're very similar in layout to the Palm units. No real advantage to owning one of those unless you need the second bedroom - and it's barely larger than the double bed. Again, for the MF math, the Palm was a better value for us.

Glad to hear my review helped. It's a nice place you'll enjoy if you're out and about. We were on the go every day, and it worked great for us.

Dave

Last edited:

slabeaume

Reaction score
It's been a few years ago now, but I lucked into one of the units on about the 24th floor. The ocean views from it were amazing! I agree that the units were a bit dated, but the views more then made up for it. The views from the owners lounge were the same as what we had so if you don't get an ocean view---do head up there. I was even able to use the owner's lounge the last day after checking out and before heading to the airport. Would definately stay there again!

PrettyKitties

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was even able to use the owner's lounge the last day after checking out and before heading to the airport. Would definately stay there again!

That's good to know Sla! We have a late flight & being able to use the lounge would be a big help.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To search TUG for this topic, put this in you google search box: "TOPIC"site:tugbbs.com

PrettyKitties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: We enjoyed our stay at the Imperial. Even though we were a day late, we got a great unit (1104). Like everyone says, the location can't be beat (unless you're willing to pay $$$$). The units do desperately need updating, but they were clean & comfortable. We were able to get a late check-out at 6 p.m. (for $66) which helped a lot because of our late flight. Also, we had full access to the owner's lounge, including on our last day.

Laundry was no problem & had no problem printing boarding passes. Ended up, I didn't have to use the garage.

I did decide to buy in & found a Hala unit on ebay for $26. The resort seemed well run but I am a little concerned about the units needing updating & hope no SA is coming down the line.

Thanks everyone for all your help! :hi:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Welcome home! Glad you had a nice time. And a Hala for $26? Nice find!

If you read the Owner's page on the Imperial website, you'll see they manage the place pretty well, and replace things on an ongoing basis. I'd be surprised if they'd need an SA. Hope not. ;)

We'll be back there in just eight more weeks. Can't wait! :)

Dave

Update: We enjoyed our stay at the Imperial. Even though we were a day late, we got a great unit (1104). Like everyone says, the location can't be beat (unless you're willing to pay $$$$). The units do desperately need updating, but they were clean & comfortable. We were able to get a late check-out at 6 p.m. (for $66) which helped a lot because of our late flight. Also, we had full access to the owner's lounge, including on our last day.

Laundry was no problem & had no problem printing boarding passes. Ended up, I didn't have to use the garage.

I did decide to buy in & found a Hala unit on ebay for $26. The resort seemed well run but I am a little concerned about the units needing updating & hope no SA is coming down the line.

Thanks everyone for all your help! :hi:

PrettyKitties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave:

I don't have access to the owner's page yet as I am going through the escrow process now.

Yeah, I was lucky! $26 is a bargain, although now I have to cough up a grand each year for MF. :D

Hope you enjoy your visit.... I'm hoping I can go late next year again.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hope you enjoy your visit.... I'm hoping I can go late next year again.

I have an annual week with Imperial, and a biennial week at Kauai Beach Villas. So I go to Hawaii for two weeks every two years, spending a week at the Imperial enjoying the craziness that is Oahu, followed by my week at KBV, enjoying the kick-back, unplugged relaxation on Kauai. It's a great way to recharge my batteries. In alternate years, I exchange the Imperial week for somewhere else. So far it works pretty well.

Dave

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Imperial fees very high

We own at the Waikiki Banyan but have stayed at the Imperial Resort 4 or 5times and find the timeshares about the same in quality. A 6 or 7 Max on the ten point scale. Banyan'smaintenance fees are $450 per year and a
Bargain for Hawaii.Both locations have advantages but the Imperial is better IMHO as it
Is close to the best beach which is in front of the Hale Koa.when staying at the Imperial I get weekly parking rates for the Hale Koa which is closely and much less in cost.
The Yardhouse just across the street has very good food,130 beers ,and very good happy hour prices.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been several years since my last visit at the Imperial. It is very centrally located and close to the beach. If I remember correctly, we were in a studio apartment and you had to climb over the bed to get to the rest of the studio! We were there to visit my daughter and son-in-law so we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.:hi: