• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions about purchasing a Hyatt timeshare

adrost328

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a Hyatt timeshare on the resale market. The purchase would be used for its points so that my family could stay at various Hyatt locations for two to four day getaways. My questions are:

* Is EBAY a good place to make this purchase?

* Should I be focused on the cost of each point based on the maintenance fee (ie: Haciendo Del Mar $1.00/point vs Sedona 0.67/point)?

* Does the MF cost/point reduce if your purchase contains more points?

* Does Hyatt invoke the ROFR?

* Are there issues I should be concerned about in the closing process?

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
With Hyatt, you should focus primarily on buying an underlying week that you can use, IMO. Hyatt points are an overlay over a deeded week and at any time Hyatt can change points requirements or eliminate the points system entirely. This is very different than say Disney Vacation Club which is a true point system with strict rules governing any possible points changes.

I would not therefore recommend going for the cheapest points out there. Go for the best deal you can find on a week you can use.

You also want to pay attention to the various Hyatt windows for "aging" of your points. For example, we own a week 22 which is great for requesting winter weeks but not great for requesting summer weeks- with Hyatt there is a little spike in availability of club reservations 6 months out, you want to have fresh Hyatt points for requesting those reservations.

Be aware as well that Hyatt charges you a split week fee for housecleaning in most properties plus a reservation fee for each reservation made. Therefore if you intended to split your weeks and stay say 4 visits as partial weeks in smaller accommodations, your fees for doing so would be $300/yr over your MF.

No matter what week you have MF are the same. If you buy in the future you will be buying a 2nd week and therefore having a 2nd MF. The best bang for the buck in the Hyatt system us therefore the highest season week you can afford, as you get more points for the same MF.

Have you been to Kal's HVC site? He explains much of the nitty gritty there.

Hyatt is a great system, a little expensive, but please don't think for 1 minute that you are actually buying points. You are buying a fixed TS week. The points are just icing on the cake.

H

PS you should pay attention to the actual unit you buy as well and make sure the location within the resort works for you