• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question Using AT & T phone card at Royal Sands

Kelly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost my notes from last year on using the phone card. I think there is a local number you can dial first to use the phone card, thus the resort charge .50 instead of $3.00 (if you dial the 800#.) Can anyone refresh me on the number sequence?

Thanks!

Escondito

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were there last year, the resort sold us a phone card (I think $10 for 1/2 hour) and we just used it. No charge from the resort for connection. If you have a cell phone, you might also check what it would cost to have it activated for Mexico usage. Some of the people in our group did that and it really worked for short conversations. They had children at home and were able to handle "emergencies". I haven't checked but think it costs about $3 to $5 to activate and about $1.00 a minute for the call.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal. If you have a calling card or any pre-paid card that requires you to dial a US toll free number, you will be charged $3.00 for connection fee each time you use it. BUT, if you buy a pre-paid card that dials a Mexican toll free number, you will not be charged the $3.00, but the 50 cents per call fee.

Problem is, I forgot how you can tell if it is American or Mexican toll free number. I believe it has something to do with what you start out dialing with. I.E. 001, 011, etc.

Michelle

love2fly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi. I also would like to know the same thing.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back and used out AT&T card. Go to the website and get the local number to call or call customer service. Dial the number, and then dial the 1-800 number on the back of the card. Enter the PIN, and dial your number. Cost at resort is about .50, and you will use about .08 - .10 a minute depending where you call.
Darlene

cymomtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Darlene said:
We just got back and used out AT&T card. Go to the website and get the local number to call or call customer service. Dial the number, and then dial the 1-800 number on the back of the card. Enter the PIN, and dial your number. Cost at resort is about .50, and you will use about .08 - .10 a minute depending where you call.
Darlene

Have you gotten your bill yet? That cost per minute seems very low and I'm curious to know if that is the actual cost once you get your bill.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only bill I received was from the hotel - for $.50/ call. I said it wrong before it's 8-10 units a minute on the card. or $.03-$.04 a minute. depending where you are calling.

JEFF H

Reaction score
I used the AT&T pre-paid card alittle over a year ago.
It was 3-4 cents a Min for calls in the USA. Rates for Calls from mexico to the USA were about 30 cents a Min. The charges are deducted from the pre-paid card untill you use up the balance so its hard to know the actual rate your paying.

What you should do is befor you travel to Mexico call the toll free customer service number on your card and ask the actual rate from the international city you will be calling from. Also ask for the local toll free number in that country and city.

From Cancun you can call a toll free At&T connection number in the USA and be charged $3 connection charge by the Royal resorts that will show up on your room bill.
You can instead use the Mexican National AT&T connection number toll free number and only be charge only a 5 peso connection charge instead of 3 dollars by the Royal Resorts.

The Toll free connection numbers posted in the units at the Royals are the USA toll free numbers that carry a $3 connection fee.

Last edited:

love2fly

TUG Member
Reaction score
The number to call from your villa at the Sands is:

First dial "9" then 01-800-288-2872

Then dial the AT&T number and PIN listed on your card.

.50 per call will be charged to your villa account instead of the $3 charge.