• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question: Snorkeling options on the Riviera Maya?

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're headed to the Riviera Maya for Spring Break, and this time I'd like to try some snorkeling there. I've heard Puerto Moreles mentioned, but where exactly would we go? I've also heard Yal Kul lagoon is great. Anyone snorkeled in the Riviera Maya area and have any suggestions?

We will have a car for the week, and were thinking of driving down to Tulum one day to see the ruins & snorkel somewhere (we will bring our own gear).

Thanks for your suggestions!
---Rene McDaniel

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked Akumal, just south of Yal-Ku
http://www.akumaltravel.com/accom/akumalmap.htm

There's parking, a nice public beach and bar/restaurant.

We were there some years ago, and there may have been hurricane damage to the coral since then, but at least there should be fish.

Yal-Ku is also worth a visit - - you'll pay a fee to snorkel there. It's small and contained. Visibility is variable at Yal-Ku because there's a stream of fresh water running into the salty bay that gets cloudy where they mix.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Akumal is great. That is where most of the tours take you.

buceo

Reaction score
My understanding is that Akumal is about the only place that you can walk-in and see some great stuff snorkeling. Puerto Morelos is great, but there and elswhere it's far enough off shore that one needs a boat for good snorkeling. This info I've only heard from others, I've only been scuba diving.

alfie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Snorkeling

Puerto Morelos is the place to snorkel. We go there every year for a few weeks to rest before Cancun...If you drive into town, turn left at the police station go down a block and on the left side of the road you will see a dive shop, run by Enrique. He speaks English. He has a web site called www. almostheavenadventures.com if you want to check him out. He does dives for the El Cid hotel as well as Ceiba del Mar hotel...top notch kind of guy. If you cannot find him, simply drive straight down to the public dock area. There are plenty of boats for hire, with a dive boss. Try to go on a day that is not too windy, or you will not be able to dive.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also like Akumal, and in addition, Yal-Ku Lagoon. Both are excellent. If you are willing to go over to Cozumel, there is a beach bar on the west side of the island called the Money bar. It is right up the street from the Chakanaab park. This place is right on the Dzul Ha reef and has GREAT snorkling. AND, the bonus.......FREE! The access to the water can be a little slippery, but they will help you in the water. They have a small beach club there too, with lounge chairs, a restaurant, etc. We ate lunch there and it was good.

Another idea, that I think would very much benefit you, would be to buy the maps from the map chick. They are SOOOO worth it! We have the Riviera Maya one, the Conzumel one and the Playa del Carmen one. They have given us great tips!

http://www.cancunstore.com/

Have fun!

Michelle

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
here's a link to a short review I wrote year before last on a day of snorkeling we did with a company called Edventures. It was just the two of us and our guide.

We could have gone to all these places on our own, but we would have had no clue what we were looking at, and in the case of the caves, you had to go in with a guide.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Akumal. It's a public beach (i.e. free) with a small restaurant and a floating dock not too far out to rest if you need to (at least this was the situation 4-5 years ago). We saw some good-sized sea turtles in addition to the usual underwater plants and fishes. Nothing spectacular, but good.

As I recall there was something about driving in and seeing a "private no entrance" sign for a residential area, but going through it anyway and turning right for the beach.

If you're staying at the Royal Haciendas, there's also nice snorkeling right on their beach. The close-in snorkeling is very shallow, and it's a bit weird having the coral etc a foot or less under your body. It was kind of uncomfortable not being able to stand up or tread water for awhile, because of the coral. A bit farther out and to the sides it's deeper and you won't have that situation.

buceo

Reaction score
I heard from someone who saw an octopus snorkeling off the Haciendas in Sep, that's pretty cool.

ssally

Reaction score
hello....xceret????

It may cost a few bucks...but the best we have snorkled ,was at xel ha...................great deal!:)

ssally

Reaction score
yalku lagoon anyone??

from what I hear ,this lagoon located near Akumal?? Is almost free and filled with awesome marine life.Others might know more ,as we have not been there.:) :) sally

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
from what I hear ,this lagoon located near Akumal?? Is almost free and filled with awesome marine life.Others might know more ,as we have not been there.:) :) sally

Yes, Yal-Ku lagoon is great snorkling. We have been there a couple of times. The problem is, the first time it was much better than the second, and I don't know why. Maybe the weather? (The water was cloudier on one of the days which made it more difficult to snorkel.) I still stand by the map from mapchick, as it has SOOOO many tips in it!

Michelle