• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question(s) about RCI Last Call - .....and other stuff

revlis01

Reaction score
In the process of purchasing 2 units at Grandview, which will give me a boatload of annual RCI points. I've been digging around, and there are some things which are still confusing me. Please enlighten me if you can :p

I've seen different info regarding Last Call.
Based on what RCI has on their website, it sounds like Last Call bookings can be made up to 45 days out; are only for week-long bookings, and only booked with cash.
However, I've also seen info on other websites suggesting you can book shorter stays, in addition to week-long, and you can book using (heavily discounted) points.
What's the reality here?

Also, regarding points in general, can I only book weeks at resorts, or can I book shorter stays?

Finally, if I have an RCI-converted unit at Grandview, do I have to actually 'deposit' my week every year - or does that happen automatically? What do I need to do?

Many thanks as always!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Last Calls (like Extra Vacations) are just 'cash' purchases, they do not require any of your points and are only for week long stays. We have booked a cheap Last Call when only needing 5 nights accommodation because it was the cheapest option. We simply checked out early. If you want to book a short stay and use your points then you will also incur a 'housekeeping fee' that amount varies by resort. It will be listed in the Urgent Info tab of the resort page. You need to calculate that extra housekeeping cost in addition to your exchange fee and cost per point to see if it is 'worth it' to book a shorter stay. The last time we needed a 6 (or was it 5?) night stay, I found it was cheaper in the long run to book 7 nights and avoid the high housekeeping fee. There was a minimal point difference for that extra night. Also when booking longer stays the RCI exchange fee is the same for 7 nights as it is for 13 nights so we frequently look for longer stays.

There is also a section on the RCI Exchange page to look for vacations for under 10K points - those are also usually just 7 night stays and often, not always, check-in dates 15-45 days out.

I'm not sure how your resort works but with our points ownership it is automatically deposited as RCI Points each year unless we call them well in advance (the year before?) to tell them we will be using our deeded week/unit.

~Diane

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
We have booked a cheap Last Call when only needing 5 nights accommodation because it was the cheapest option. We simply checked out early. If you want to book a short stay and use your points then you will also incur a 'housekeeping fee' that amount varies by resort. It will be listed in the Urgent Info tab of the resort page. You need to calculate that extra housekeeping cost in addition to your exchange fee and cost per point to see if it is 'worth it' to book a shorter stay. The last time we needed a 6 (or was it 5?) night stay, I found it was cheaper in the long run to book 7 nights and avoid the high housekeeping fee.
I completely agree with this. I very much enjoy the flexibilities that come with my RCI Points account. But the cleaning fees are an argument why paying a lot to go from weeks to points may not make sense. I so wish I had the flexibility in my schedule now to routinely take 13 day vacations ... a good argument for a points account.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Often, there are last minute (45 day out) points exchanges for like 7500 points. But when dear ol' RCI tacks an exchange fee on top of it, these end up more expensive than a cash Last Call. Go figure, and keep a pencil handy.

I don't know if it's universal (I suspect it is), but your Points will automatically be credited to your Points account on a date-certain anniversary date. Mine are deposited about 4 months after my MF is due. I would have to call shortly after the MF is paid to reserve my week instead of the points transfer.

Incidentally, after you have a Points account, you are entitled to a *free* RCI weeks account in case you have another RCI weeks resort. (or buy one) That saves you paying that roughly $100/yr weeks membership.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted- double post]

revlis01

Reaction score
Often, there are last minute (45 day out) points exchanges for like 7500 points. But when dear ol' RCI tacks an exchange fee on top of it, these end up more expensive than a cash Last Call. Go figure, and keep a pencil handy.

I don't know if it's universal (I suspect it is), but your Points will automatically be credited to your Points account on a date-certain anniversary date. Mine are deposited about 4 months after my MF is due. I would have to call shortly after the MF is paid to reserve my week instead of the points transfer.

Incidentally, after you have a Points account, you are entitled to a *free* RCI weeks account in case you have another RCI weeks resort. (or buy one) That saves you paying that roughly $100/yr weeks membership.
So if MF is due Jan 1, and points are not deposited until 4 months later, doesn't that mean that there's 4 months that you're losing opportunities to use your points for that year?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if MF is due Jan 1, and points are not deposited until 4 months later, doesn't that mean that there's 4 months that you're losing opportunities to use your points for that year?
The points are good for 12 months-not a calendar year, so at least in our case, there are enough roll-over points to use. My use-year date is like April 1, and I'm unlikely to be down to zero before then. Technically, in your example, the first year after you become a member, there could be a period of time after you set up the account, make the MF payment, and the points are credited, but that will just happen once.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
While you have your pencil out, YMMV depending on your destination -- but taxes apply on last calls and extras but typically not on exchange fees.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you own a points unit at the Grandview you will do everything on the RCI website and that is where your points will be shown.

I found you are generally better off just booking a week at a time and ignoring the "short" stays because of the added cleaning fees at many resorts.

Saving a few points but paying more in fees usually isn't worth it. I have never run out of points.

Just because you booked a week doesn't mean you have to stay there all week.

Many times I have left early or arrived a couple of days late.

revlis01

Reaction score
If you own a points unit at the Grandview you will do everything on the RCI website and that is where your points will be shown.

I found you are generally better off just booking a week at a time and ignoring the "short" stays because of the added cleaning fees at many resorts.

Saving a few points but paying more in fees usually isn't worth it. I have never run out of points.

That's good info, thanks.
Starting to panic a little, because the more I read, the more it sounds like it's impossible to book anything.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's good info, thanks.
Starting to panic a little, because the more I read, the more it sounds like it's impossible to book anything.
I have owned Grandview for 6 years and booked 15 weeks. I could have booked a lot more if I had more vacation time!

The "impossible to book" crowd generally are people who put no effort into learning how to maximize their timeshare ownership. Or they have no idea what they bought in the first place.

If you learn how to use your timeshare, you will be able to get value out of it. If you don't you will be unhappy.

revlis01

Reaction score
I have owned Grandview for 6 years and booked 15 weeks. I could have booked a lot more if I had more vacation time!

The "impossible to book" crowd generally are people who put no effort into learning how to maximize their timeshare ownership. Or they have no idea what they bought in the first place.

If you learn how to use your timeshare, you will be able to get value out of it. If you don't you will be unhappy.
Awesome. This sounds right up my alley. Can I ask, what would you say is the best way to learn the ropes?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome. This sounds right up my alley. Can I ask, what would you say is the best way to learn the ropes?
I learned it all from reading on TUG. And then just using the RCI site. Searching to see what I could get. Making some ongoing searches. Asking some questions. There is a wealth of info here. Just study up.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Noo, you will find something! It is best to plan well ahead, as far as you can. I generally plan 6-10 mos in advance, but have found resorts just a month from check-in. If you dont have a set destination in mind then just put your dates into the exchange filters as well as the size of unit or any other choices on the filters. Then you can see where and when the most availability is. If you do have a certain time frame or destination in mind then do an online chat with RCI and get them to set up an Ongoing Search. Those are matched by computer as soon as there is an available unit, well before that availability makes it onto the website. What you see on the website are the 'leftovers' from Ongoing searches. You will need to pay the exchange fee to start that search but you'll need to pay it eventually anyways. If by chance no match is found RCI will refund the fee or leave it in your account for your next transaction.

Also before booking anything be sure to read the Urgent Info tab for any resort, amenities or other fees.

~Diane

revlis01

Reaction score
Noo, you will find something! It is best to plan well ahead, as far as you can. I generally plan 6-10 mos in advance, but have found resorts just a month from check-in. If you dont have a set destination in mind then just put your dates into the exchange filters as well as the size of unit or any other choices on the filters. Then you can see where and when the most availability is. If you do have a certain time frame or destination in mind then do an online chat with RCI and get them to set up an Ongoing Search. Those are matched by computer as soon as there is an available unit, well before that availability makes it onto the website. What you see on the website are the 'leftovers' from Ongoing searches. You will need to pay the exchange fee to start that search but you'll need to pay it eventually anyways. If by chance no match is found RCI will refund the fee or leave it in your account for your next transaction.

Also before booking anything be sure to read the Urgent Info tab for any resort, amenities or other fees.

~Diane
Thanks so much. Great info. So ongoing searches can only be started via chat or phone? Can't do it yourself?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While you have your pencil out, YMMV depending on your destination -- but taxes apply on last calls and extras but typically not on exchange fees.
Seriously? Why? I’m thinking of joining just for last call, but will now rethink. Do you know the tax %?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Seriously? Why? I’m thinking of joining just for last call, but will now rethink. Do you know the tax %?
It depends on the location. I think it is a county/city thing. It is probably in the range of 6-12%. So maybe $20-$55 on a last call rental with the average being around $35.

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score

~Diane
What has become for me a pain, when shearching is all the "Exchange Plus" that come up.... they can over run a search , I've had 30 to 40 come up with only 2 or 3 TS trades among them... even though the box for them is unchecked. These are lovely places but the cost is like your timeshare points have no.. value.. don't know how to exclude them from search. JG

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks so much. Great info. So ongoing searches can only be started via chat or phone? Can't do it yourself?
Ongoing Searches with Points need to be done by RCI either over the phone or via online chat. I usually do the online chat. So far their computer system only lets Weeks owners start their own online.

-Diane

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ongoing Searches with Points need to be done by RCI either over the phone or via online chat. I usually do the online chat. So far their computer system only lets Weeks owners start their own online.

-Diane
I have an RCI Points account and start my own OGSs online all the time. It is sometimes buggy and I have to start over sometimes … not all that different than anything else on RCI.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What has become for me a pain, when shearching is all the "Exchange Plus" that come up.... they can over run a search , I've had 30 to 40 come up with only 2 or 3 TS trades among them... even though the box for them is unchecked. These are lovely places but the cost is like your timeshare points have no.. value.. don't know how to exclude them from search.

-Diane
I typically have 10+ ongoing searches all of which I started myself.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wondering how you do an "ongoing search" yourself? We thought you always had to call RCI? Thanks
Under my account click on "Help Library." There a quickstart guide for starting an Ongoing Search right on that page.

Baggi

Reaction score

I do this also. Whenever I go to Vegas I try to book the Elara and I only go for 4 days/nights so I just leave early before the rest of the days are up. This year there was no availability though when I try to go. First time I was not able to book the Elara.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen different info regarding Last Call.
Based on what RCI has on their website, it sounds like Last Call bookings can be made up to 45 days out; are only for week-long bookings, and only booked with cash.
However, I've also seen info on other websites suggesting you can book shorter stays, in addition to week-long, and you can book using (heavily discounted) points.
What's the reality here?
I am a RCI weeks owner through a points system (WorldMark). I would think Last Call would offer the same deals for every RCI member. I can see seven units available for just 5 nights at a single resort, so there must be a lot more out there. There would be a housekeeping charge, so it would be cheaper to reserve a full week that includes housekeeping for the same price, if a full week is available for the dates.

RCI 5 nights.jpg

There are also cash Extra Vacation Getaways that extend beyond 45 days and no exchange fee. November can be very nice in Steamboat Springs. The cost is probably about half what an owner at the Steamboat Grand would pay in maintenance fees. If I did not already have plans for this November timeframe, I would book this excellent value.

Steamboat Grand November.jpg