• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

question on use of HGVC points

eylumpy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
elara las vegas
bay club hawaii
has anyone ever gotten a good deal exchanging your HGVC points for the miscellaneous uses
example hilton says use your points with cruise lines, i go to see whats offered and by the time you go to make an exchange and pay the fees etc it seems you do not get value for points, it seems you could just about get the same prices on the cruises by booking through a large travel agency, very little benefit in the exchange
another is the all inclusives by the time you commit your points to an all inclusive and then look at the mandated all inclusive charges there is very little benefit to use HGVC points
another is the rci and resort exchanges , you move your points over to rci pay the additional charges for the week in rci and any other fees rci charges at the resort , in addition to the added charges HGVC places, you get very little benfit for the use of points, in most cases i have found you are better of with a airbnb of vrbo
even the use of exchanging your HGVC points to hilton honors, my example 2 seperate time shares approximately 25,000 HGVC points converts to 400,000 hilton honors points ,,,this does not get you much in trade, some of the really nice hotels cost upwards of 70-80,000 night so your $3400-$3500 costs associated with annual costs in HGVC does not get you much
has anyone ever gotten a deal on any of these topics

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I agree with you on almost everything. There are rarely any good deals for cruises, all-inclusives, exchanging to Hilton Honors, etc. Some of these uses only make sense when your points are about to expire.

I disagree though on RCI. There are some exchanges that are definitely not worth it. But there are some fantastic locations in the Caribbean, New York City, and a few other places that are well worth the exchange fees and additional fees.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
With Worldmark by Wyndham it is also a Bad Deal to use Credits to pay for such things as Cruises, Flights, Car Rentals, etc. The Exchange Rate is 4 cents per Credit.

toontoy

Reaction score
I tried to use some back in 2019 and it was roughly 5,000 points for $500.00. This was before the points change so I would think 8,000 points would be around $500.00. It wasnt a great use of points. You could get some bonus points with cruises if you use cash but our other travel agent credits were better.

eylumpy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
elara las vegas
bay club hawaii
thanks for the replies , i guess i try to over analyze expenses...i do not have the exact numbers on hand but in the case of rci
i have tried to go with the gold crown properties to try to ensure the place is decent , so far i have not stayed in one that compares with the units of HGVC
a typical example for me is the points charged by rci for a week is about half the points of my HGVC timeshare , then you add the cost of the booking around $189 and then you add an energy fee at the property that is assessed in europe of around $69 for the week , then you add the cost of half of your HGVC m/f app $1400/2 equaling $700 and your total costs are app $1000 for the week
this would be cheaper than the full week at the HGVC but the quality is not there

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
this would be cheaper than the full week at the HGVC but the quality is not there
It depends on how you value the resort vs. the location. For me the location is more important, but some people care more about the resort.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It depends on how you value the resort vs. the location. For me the location is more important, but some people care more about the resort.
Exactly. For a particular location, if there is a HGVC resort, I will pick that every day. But there are so many locations where an RCI exchange is the only way I could use my points for lodging, and I have successfully used that option a few times. Sure, the quality is not at the same level, but I don't give one iota if the place has quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances or high-end bathrooms. I usually spend very little time at the resort so it makes no difference to me. While I have used VRBO, etc. at times, they have always been more expensive than RCI exchanges when all costs are accounted for.

Kurt

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever gotten a good deal exchanging your HGVC points for the miscellaneous uses
example hilton says use your points with cruise lines, i go to see whats offered and by the time you go to make an exchange and pay the fees etc it seems you do not get value for points, it seems you could just about get the same prices on the cruises by booking through a large travel agency, very little benefit in the exchange
another is the all inclusives by the time you commit your points to an all inclusive and then look at the mandated all inclusive charges there is very little benefit to use HGVC points
another is the rci and resort exchanges , you move your points over to rci pay the additional charges for the week in rci and any other fees rci charges at the resort , in addition to the added charges HGVC places, you get very little benfit for the use of points, in most cases i have found you are better of with a airbnb of vrbo
even the use of exchanging your HGVC points to hilton honors, my example 2 seperate time shares approximately 25,000 HGVC points converts to 400,000 hilton honors points ,,,this does not get you much in trade, some of the really nice hotels cost upwards of 70-80,000 night so your $3400-$3500 costs associated with annual costs in HGVC does not get you much
has anyone ever gotten a deal on any of these topics

Head over to the HGV forums. There's an article I wrote (prior to the 60% points adjustment) regarding bonus points, but the principles apply to regular points as well