• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on Buying Points - Currently at MKO Now

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
I have a few questions and hope people can give me answers or tips. I am a week owner at Ko'Olina EOY. Odd year, purchased resale a few years back (after 2010). I've done my research on purchasing weeks in resale but never looked into points. After our presentation, I am thinking of buying points, maybe about 1500 pts. Currently their offer sounds pretty good with all the "freebie points" they are giving. For 1500 pts., @15.18/pt. They are giving a promo discount of 10% off ($2280), and another credit of $2K, and giving me 3K points good to use for 3 yrs, and financing incentive of 1500 pts, will be given to me after my 18th month payment (financing). With the extra 3K pts + 1500 pts,. that gives me 4500 points to use the next 3 yrs. And I can "delay" the 1500 points I"m buying until either 2022 or 2023 so that means I won't have to pay maintenance fees until what year I choose (either 2022 or 2023)...... Total purchase of 1500 points = $18, 441. This does NOT enroll my current week ownership and I want to leave it that way. I own EOY Odd years and we've always used it in Ko'Olina and plan to do so in the future. This is just to own points to use during Even years that I don't own to use in Ko'Olina or elsewhere.. Like next year in Kauai when we do have to pay for hotel for a week.

Does this sound like a good or ok deal? I know resale is still cheaper, but not sure how much cheaper. My question is, are there any limitations when purchasing points from resale market vs Marriott? How much would it cost me on resale market if I try to purchase 1500 points. Isn't there many fees and junk fees when purchasing resale and therefore, after all the fees that need to be paid, does it come close to what Marriott sells it for?

With those extra points they are giving me, I can go back to Ko'Olina 2022 or even try to use it in Kauai next year in Aug which we plan to go for my husband's golf tourney.

Any tips is greatly appreciated. And if there's anything else I need to know about purchasing points in resale, let me know Thanks.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Resale will run about $3 per point to buy. Then you will have to pay Marriott the $3 enrollment fee. So a total of about $9000 resale and you can save 50% off direct retail.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions and hope people can give me answers or tips. I am a week owner at Ko'Olina EOY. Odd year, purchased resale a few years back (after 2010). I've done my research on purchasing weeks in resale but never looked into points. After our presentation, I am thinking of buying points, maybe about 1500 pts. Currently their offer sounds pretty good with all the "freebie points" they are giving. For 1500 pts., @15.18/pt. They are giving a promo discount of 10% off, and another credit of $2K, giving me 3K points good to use for 3 yrs, and financing incentive of 1500 pts, will be given to me after my 18th month payment (financing). With the extra 3K pst + 1500 pst. that gives me 4500 points to use the next 3 yrs. And I can "delay" the 1500 points I"m buying until either 2022 or 2023 so that means I won't have to pay maintenance fees until what year I choose (either 2022 or 2023)...... Total purchase of 1500 points = $18, 441.

Does this sound like a good or ok deal? I know resale is still cheaper, but not sure how much cheaper. My question is, are there any limitations when purchasing points from resale market vs Marriott? How much would it cost me on resale market if I try to purchase 1500 points. Isn't there many fees and junk fees when purchasing resale and therefore, after all the fees that need to be paid, does it come close to what Marriott sells it for?

With those extra points they are giving me, I can go back to Ko'Olina 2022 or even try to use it in Kauai next year in Aug which we plan to go for my husband's golf tourney.

Any tips is greatly appreciated. And if there's anything else I need to know about purchasing points in resale, let me know Thanks.
There is no reason to buy points retail in your situation, at least not for 1500 and if there was this is not a good deal. 1500 points won't do much unless they agreed to enroll your current week and normally that takes a minimum of 3000 points to do so or a qualifying weeks purchase such as Aruba. Spend some time looking at the points and options and if it's a good choice for you to proceed, this is not the way to do so. Either buy resale or look at alternative such as acquiring more weeks then enrolling them with a retail purchase.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions and hope people can give me answers or tips. I am a week owner at Ko'Olina EOY. Odd year, purchased resale a few years back (after 2010). I've done my research on purchasing weeks in resale but never looked into points. After our presentation, I am thinking of buying points, maybe about 1500 pts. Currently their offer sounds pretty good with all the "freebie points" they are giving. For 1500 pts., @15.18/pt. They are giving a promo discount of 10% off, and another credit of $2K, giving me 3K points good to use for 3 yrs, and financing incentive of 1500 pts, will be given to me after my 18th month payment (financing). With the extra 3K pst + 1500 pst. that gives me 4500 points to use the next 3 yrs. And I can "delay" the 1500 points I"m buying until either 2022 or 2023 so that means I won't have to pay maintenance fees until what year I choose (either 2022 or 2023)...... Total purchase of 1500 points = $18, 441.

You work hard for your money. Keep your hands in your pocket and go the resale route; either resale weeks or resale points.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Resale will run about $3 per point to buy. Then you will have to pay Marriott the $3 enrollment fee. So a total of about $9000 resale and you can save 50% off direct retail.

Thank you! So with buying resale, does that give me "everything" and all the "perks" of owning points when buying retail? i.e. Getting the ""gold" status on Marriott Bonvoy (since this is the level it would get me) and all the other privilege of owning points? Using Marriott Exchange, using II, etc..

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thank you! So with buying resale, does that give me "everything" and all the "perks" of owning points when buying retail? i.e. Getting the ""gold" status on Marriott Bonvoy (since this is the level it would get me) and all the other privilege of owning points? Using Marriott Exchange, using II, etc..
Yes, resale points are identical to developer points after you pay the $3/point extortion education fee.
Bonvoy Gold status is virtually worthless.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club

While buying resale is cheaper, the amount of the actual savings is reduced by various commissions and fees in addition to the $3 a point surcharge Marriott charges (extorts). A few weeks ago someone posted a calculator on TUG to arrive at an "all in" cost when purchasing re-sale. You simply plug in what you are willing to pay and the amount of points you want to purchase. The calculator estimates all of the extra fees and determines your all in cost.

When comparing re-sale to retail it would be more accurate to take into consideration the the value of the extra bonuses being offered. When the "all in" price of the re-sale is considered, the savings might not be so dramatic. I would love to hear more knowledgeable opinions on this.

I was thinking of purchasing 3,000 points and attended a presentation at Crystal Shores in late June. They offered me a similar deal. 10% off the retail price, which was lower than the OP mentioned, and 6,000 bonus points that expired in 3 years. I wasn't interested in financing and didn't look at that part of the offer, although the extra 3,000 points for financing had some value.. Without consideration of the 6,000 bonus points my savings with all fees considered was about 30%. Not bad. If I guestimate the value of 6,000 points at the price of the maintenance fees the value of the bonus points is about $3,840. In my figuring that amount should be applied to either increasing the cost of the resale or decreasing the cost of the retail points. Am I thinking correctly?

For the record, I did not purchase. I didn't see the value. It is hard enough to use what I have. I put zero value in the "perks" for the next level of ownership.

Last edited:

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
mbstn6254 - yes they offer to me was similar to yours. The only reason my bonus/freebies is less than yours is because I was only looking into buying 1500 points to use on even years. since I own a week at Ko'Olina Odd years and we tend to go yearly anyway and end up paying for the even years at Ko'Olina or a hotel. Now that I've read there's really no difference buying retail points vs resale, I think I might go resale route. I do want to have points but I think I want to just leave my week alone at Ko'Olina. They said if I want to enroll my week, I would have to purchase 3000 points and I was not ready to spend like over $30K for that. LOL

So if I buy resale 3000 points, is there a way to enroll my week then? Or does that only happen if you buy the 3000 points retail from Marriott.
Sales guy was very nice but of course, he was a sales person trying to make a sale. He said that inventory for weeks are getting less and less as most ppl are buying into the points program. I asked him (because I've read it here somewhere I believe) that week owner in Ko'Olina gets priority in room assignment vs points owner. He said that's not true. A points owner gets a different room inventory than weeks owner.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So where can I look to buy resale points? I went through an agent buying my resale week and went smoothly. I guess I should ask him? Is everyone selling points pretty much sell them at same price around $3/point?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
So where can I look to buy resale points? I went through an agent buying my resale week and went smoothly. I guess I should ask him? Is everyone selling points pretty much sell them at same price around $3/point?
Tons of ads on eBay. Some as low as $2/point, but just make sure you're looking at year of first use (if they're trying to get you to pay for 2021 usage, you likely won't get them transferred until after you can bank). Also some ads here on TUG probably, Redweek as well. I've done 5 resales off eBay (weeks and points) without any problems.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
mbstn6254 - yes they offer to me was similar to yours. The only reason my bonus/freebies is less than yours is because I was only looking into buying 1500 points to use on even years. since I own a week at Ko'Olina Odd years and we tend to go yearly anyway and end up paying for the even years at Ko'Olina or a hotel. Now that I've read there's really no difference buying retail points vs resale, I think I might go resale route. I do want to have points but I think I want to just leave my week alone at Ko'Olina. They said if I want to enroll my week, I would have to purchase 3000 points and I was not ready to spend like over $30K for that. LOL

So if I buy resale 3000 points, is there a way to enroll my week then? Or does that only happen if you buy the 3000 points retail from Marriott.
Sales guy was very nice but of course, he was a sales person trying to make a sale. He said that inventory for weeks are getting less and less as most ppl are buying into the points program. I asked him (because I've read it here somewhere I believe) that week owner in Ko'Olina gets priority in room assignment vs points owner. He said that's not true. A points owner gets a different room inventory than weeks owner.
I am the last person to ask about enrolling or anything else.

I barely can make a reservation on line!

My wife and I have enjoyed our vacations with MVC. We go to places we never would only because we have points. I guess that's a benefit. However, I find the whole process very complicated. I am a lets call up, make a reservation and go type of guy. MVC is a lets plan a few years out type of thing. I am in the deal so I will use what I have.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you can get them for closer to $2/pt right now, if Marriott doesn't ROFR you. No risk to you other than time if they do though, so bid low and see how it goes.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Only way to currently enroll your post 2010 acquired week is via a retail purchase of some kind from MVC… like 3000 points, an acceptable Caribbean or European week, etc and most of those avenues must be during an active promotion.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
I think you can get them for closer to $2/pt right now, if Marriott doesn't ROFR you. No risk to you other than time if they do though, so bid low and see how it goes.
I was offered $1.87 as a buyback from MVC awhile ago. I am guessing they are probably buyers at $2.00. I bet $3.00 works though.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Interesting aside from my presentation at Crystal Shores. As they were going in for the close I said I would buy 3,000 points at $3.00 a point. Here's my credit card. . They declined of course, but their response was would you pay $6.00? It was approaching 2 hours and I wanted out so I just said no. I am sure they would have tried to show me some bundle with weeks and points, but I think there might be more room to negotiate with them than we think.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would use him. I would rather work with someone I know vs random person on ebay.
There are tons of points for sale out there so he can get them.
Also, Most of them know how to word the contract to get it passed ROFR at $2 or less / point.
So all in should be $2+$3 / point

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was offered $1.87 as a buyback from MVC awhile ago. I am guessing they are probably buyers at $2.00. I bet $3.00 works though.
There's something wrong with this figure for a retail purchase. If it was with a buy out you must be reducing the numbers by other components to get that and I'm willing to be, not accurately so. Care to share specifics?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
There's something wrong with this figure for a retail purchase. If it was with a buy out you must be reducing the numbers by other components to get that and I'm willing to be, not accurately so. Care to share specifics?
He is saying if he wanted to sell back his Trust points to MVC, they offered him $1.87 per point. This is consistent to what they offered my FIL when he was looking to get out of his weeks and points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
He is saying if he wanted to sell back his Trust points to MVC, they offered him $1.87 per point. This is consistent to what they offered my FIL when he was looking to get out of his weeks and points.
OK, thanks. We'd seen several report offers to sell back weeks and buy points so that what I thought this was about. I appreciate the clarification.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
While buying resale is cheaper, the amount of the actual savings is reduced by various commissions and fees in addition to the $3 a point surcharge Marriott charges (extorts). A few weeks ago someone posted a calculator on TUG to arrive at an "all in" cost when purchasing re-sale. You simply plug in what you are willing to pay and the amount of points you want to purchase. The calculator estimates all of the extra fees and determines your all in cost.

When comparing re-sale to retail it would be more accurate to take into consideration the the value of the extra bonuses being offered. When the "all in" price of the re-sale is considered, the savings might not be so dramatic. I would love to hear more knowledgeable opinions on this.

I was thinking of purchasing 3,000 points and attended a presentation at Crystal Shores in late June. They offered me a similar deal. 10% off the retail price, which was lower than the OP mentioned, and 6,000 bonus points that expired in 3 years. I wasn't interested in financing and didn't look at that part of the offer, although the extra 3,000 points for financing had some value.. Without consideration of the 6,000 bonus points my savings with all fees considered was about 30%. Not bad. If I guestimate the value of 6,000 points at the price of the maintenance fees the value of the bonus points is about $3,840. In my figuring that amount should be applied to either increasing the cost of the resale or decreasing the cost of the retail points. Am I thinking correctly?

For the record, I did not purchase. I didn't see the value. It is hard enough to use what I have. I put zero value in the "perks" for the next level of ownership.

In OP case the points offered at $15.18 minus incentives comes out to around $17500 with closing costs. Resale will be $9000 with enrollment fee plus closing costs. Maybe not saving 50% but saving 45%.

There are usually no commissions collected from the buyer in my experiences with timeshares. But everything is negotiable. But usually sellers pay the commission to the brokers.

In your Crystal Shores offer, it would have been $11 a point or so for buying 3000 DC points direct. Almost $34k with closing costs. Subtracting value of the bonus points will bring you down to $30k. Buying 3000 resale points will cost around $19k with closing costs. Buying resale saves about $11k.

If you are in no rush and do not need the points immediately, resale saves you about 45%. For me 45% savings for the exact same product once enrolled is a big deal.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
They declined of course, but their response was would you pay $6.00?
They were going to offer you a bundle a week and points. Usually around 6-7,000 points total and usually around $7-8. Not a bad deal if you want that many points.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would use him. I would rather work with someone I know vs random person on ebay.
There are tons of points for sale out there so he can get them.
Also, Most of them know how to word the contract to get it passed ROFR at $2 or less / point.
So all in should be $2+$3 / point

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well. And if I bought from someone selling, I would still have to use a company for closing and title and all that right? My transaction went smoothly when I purchased from them and I would do it again. Thanks.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are in no rush and do not need the points immediately, resale saves you about 45%. For me 45% savings for the exact same product once enrolled is a big deal.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Any savings is good and a big deal especially if I'm getting exact same product. I'm also in no hurry to get it so I will check out what's out there. With that savings, I can buy a little more points than 1500. :) Thank you so much for the info.

Prooney1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande vista
Desert ridge
DC points
I was just told today during a presentation that any points purchased resale/indirectly would not count toward our status level. We were interested in getting to executive, but he told us that only a point purchase directly through Marriott would count toward our tier status. this accurate? I though we just had to pay the $3/point Marriott fee and then they were like any other mvc point we already owned. Any thoughts on this?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I was just told today during a presentation that any points purchased resale/indirectly would not count toward our status level. We were interested in getting to executive, but he told us that only a point purchase directly through Marriott would count toward our tier status. this accurate? I though we just had to pay the $3/point Marriott fee and then they were like any other mvc point we already owned. Any thoughts on this?
Total BS. Resale points will count.